Went to court for a 110+ in a 55 ticket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Went to court for a 110+ in a 55 ticket

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by robiferretti, Jul 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    racerx, I just wrote about my experience; I'm not saying that others haven't had an entirely different experience. Also, I'm not saying that all police like me either, but the simple fact is that for decades now I've had far more fair than unfair interaction with police.

2. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Given the circumstances I've read about here and the harrassment by the men in blue directed at myself and others, I know a strong message needs to be sent to our "finest". It's time for our streets to be taken back from these people who walk a fine line between criminal and someone who holds a gun and a badge and has carte blanche power over our freedoms. They've gotten away with too much for too long. And that includes our "unbiased" judges. What a joke traffic court is indeed. Let's send a clear message: If ever serving on a jury, ALWAYS LET THE COP KILLER GO!

3. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    SFM, I don't see the humor in your post, and I suspect that's because you've intended none. I hope that I am mistaken. Regardless, what you write is not only offensive, it is irresponsible. I certainly hope that the vast majority of members reject outright what you've posted.

4. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Who are you to speak on behalf of the members on here? I'm sure the people of ferrarichat are intelligent enough to decide for themselves without your sanctimonious opinions. Let me hear your holier-than-thou attitude when your bank account is $655 poorer for something you didn't do. As for my view, I suspect that there are many out there who share the same beliefs, but who are reluctant to come forward for fear of being ridiculed by narrow-minded people like you. It's because of people with extreme opinions that things get done. Though definitely not all extremes are good, when false/vicious accusations and financial repercussions are levied against tax-paying motorists harsh reactions are to be expected.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D

I have to agree with Paul, what a stupid comment. We are talking about a traffic ticket and while I recognize Rob says he was not doing 110, I am sure Rob was not doing the speed limit (as many of us don't) so he is probably not completly innocent here. That said back to the question of blue versus black - its not an automatic dismissal - you would have to argue that that this one mistake by the cop could causes doubt about whether he made other mistakes which are more important - such as pacing you. I think you said it was at night so the Judge may think the blue versus black thing is a simple mistake not evidence that the cop was sloppy on other things

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I got a $55 dollar ticket this week for get this parking within 20 feet of a crosswalk. No painted curbs, not signs . It's an obscure law from the 1920's but it's still on the books and given that the city is broke they are writing these tickets left and right.

The police HATE writing them but the word comes from on high they have to follow. There are a few cops who really are pains but most are good citizens who have a really hard job. Cops don't want to have a hostile community. Scumbag politicians are as always the real problem.

In constrast I have found that in nepotism rich small towns in the rust belt this is not the case. Dad's the judge and the son is the sheriff. His other brother wrote the ticket. Try to fight that......

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I went out driving once with Rob and 25 other cars, soon we were doing 135mph. So, I'm convinced he is right, and that he didn't go 110mph.

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

No. First, it won't fly as an excuse to dismiss and second you'll really irritate the hell out of the judge if you try to go that route.

9. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    SCM, When it comes to statements such as yours, "ALWAYS LET THE COP KILLER GO!" - I'll speak my mind regardless if whether you will classify what I've written as being "on behalf of the members on here?" or not. Plus, I feel so strongly about what you've written that if you want to get together to straighten this out, that's fine too.

10. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I have done speeds much higher then that. but on the night in question i did nothing. There was a street race ahead of me between a firebird and an s4 that stopped traffic on the highway. I was behind all the honda's and acura's that were out to watch and behind the traffic that ended up between the mess. So i was 70 cars back from what was going on. The cops blew past traffic in the shoulder. then did their thing with the ricers and closed the road down 2 miles up. As they funneled traffic through 1 lane they pointed me to the side of the road where all the ricers were already pulled over. then gave me the same ticket as them. SO when i say i wasn't speeding, i wasn't even doing the speed limit. I was stopped and then proceeded with the 18 wheelers and minivan's down the road. It was just one of the wrong place at the wrong time things. thats why i went to court. I just wasn't prepared for the cops to lie.

A similar inncident occured this past week where my buddy in his GT3 was pulled over driving through a road block. caught behind ricers they gave him 100 in a 55. then wrote him for a second ticket of 20 in a 55 1 tenth of a mile marker before that. All these bogus tickets are actually spurring an investigation of the state police barraks this month. I just hope it gets worked out for me

11. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    How about a duel at high noon in the local grocery store parking lot? If I didn't know better I'd think you were one of them.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Lunch break for you?

Next time your family needs a cop/fireman/etc, hope they don't come, troll.

13. South Dakota Rich

Jun 15, 2004
    Middle of Nowhere
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Of course he's going to lie, he's a cop. It comes natural to them. But you already know that.

I had a K-Mart suit lawyer once. The second the judge walked in his hands started shaking then his whole body was trembling and he kept getting flustered by simple questions. It was all I could do to keep myself from just throwing myself on the mercy of the court to put us all out of our misery.

14. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    ScreamForMe, I appreciate your sense of humor. No, I'm not one of them, but I'll admit that especially since 9-11, I have a greater appreciation of the police. As for the traffic scams that robiferretti has experienced, I too would want that stopped ASAP. I do know that injustice brings out strong emotions, and since the police work for us, it is especially aggravating when the law is circumvented. As was already written, rob's experience makes clear the need to be represented by a competent, trustworthy attorney (no exceptions).

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Here's a couple.

Every morning between 6:30 and 7:30, LA's finest run a speed trap in front of my condo. They pull over speeders every 6 minutes! I have gone out there where they hide (TWO CARS DEEP) and watched them take off after guys doing <5 over!!

The other scam (WAY MORE OUTREAGEOUS) is how they hide on side streets near intersections and bust cars for driving through with a pedestrian in the crosswalk. The thing of it is....the pedestrian is a cop!! They wait til the car is AT THE LIMIT LINE and just step off the curb! WHAM Ticket time. They pull over 3-4 cars at a time with this one!

TOTALLY CHICKENSH*T!!!!!!

DL

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    thats intrapment, and if you can prove via survailance then you can bust the cops. (this would be the pedistrian issue) this has happened before and the PD ends up paying out a lawsuit.

17. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Revenue generators. Plain and simple. Forget everything about public safety, serve and protect and all that crap. It's sad.