Welp, it's stripped! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Welp, it's stripped!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Apr 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol I can't edit my existing post through this app. The 16 mm I refer to is the thread size, the socket is 22 mm

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are sure?
    standard is for 12 mm thread socket size 19 mm, for 14 mm it is 22 mm and for 16 mm it is 24 mm, so I wonder about your 22 mm socket?

those drain plugs I have here in a big sortiment none has 16 mm thread and 22 mm socket size

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    i had the same issue at the dealer, they needed to remove the pan and install a helicoil. Not a cheap service at a dealer. Changed the oil myself the next time without issue.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Do yourself a favor everybody..... drill the drain plugs for safety wire.

Then, nobody will tighten the plug based on securing the plug, which requires thread deformation.

With safety wire you will NEVER feel compelled to tighten the plug beyond that which is required to seal the gasket. Unless of course, stupidity reigns.

ago car nut likes this.
  5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Thank you kindly for your help and for such a generous offer. I ended up going with the Stahlbus oil drain valves instead of the oil plugs. And I did torque it down to just a touch shy of 20 lb-ft @ 26 Nm instead. I have never been so religious while working on a car until last Sunday, praying that I don't strip the threads on either location. While everything went smoothly, the oil change was not without drama, as I did took a Mobil One 0W-40 bath while draining the reservoir tank. I am hoping that this will now be a thing of the past with both drain valves in place. Hopefully it was a good decision to use them instead of the plugs.

6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    No, I would not do that.

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Can't speak for other model years but on my 91, the factory plugs are as both M16 x 1.5. The reservoir plug has a 22mm head but shorter bolt and the oil pan is a smaller 17mm head but longer.