Well... I guess it's almost official on Alonso... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Well... I guess it's almost official on Alonso...

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And they will work on the matter with Flavio Briatore? O.M.G! "Back to the Future", these are the 2000s again.
    Flavio Briatore? Really? That eldery, useless playboy...the architect of the "Singapore crashgate" of 2008?
    Really, they have nothing better at hand?

Rgds

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So cyril learnt from teh master himself...no wonder why he's so popular and such an ass!

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Be great to see Flavio with his latest slapper hanging around the pits :rolleyes:

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I think those two will get along fine...like two silex stones....it will be ok unless big sparks fly then it will be over:D

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I know that Briatore isn't the flavour of the month anymore after the "crashgate" affair, but for me he was one of the best team managers in his days.
    He jumped in F1 with absolutely no motor racing prior knowledge and obtained 2 titles for Benetton on a shoestring budget.
    When Renault bought the team, they kept him at the helm. He rewarded them with 2 more "low cost" titles,
    We know the rest.
    He may have left the false impression at Renault that they didn't need to match other teams' budgets to win.
    Abiteboul has been struggling with that since; the Renault team us still underfunded.

7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Alonso might be self-sponsoring.

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Tremendous signing for Renault. A vastly superior driver to Ric in every respect and a proven sponsors dream. What’s not to like.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    #84 Agent Smith, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Guess it’ll be exciting watching him battle for scraps? I can’t figure this move out. With Alonso it’s all about him so I’m having trouble understanding what he gets out of this.

edit: Come to think of it, maybe it’ll be exciting to see what kind of cheating scandal he gets involved with in this go around.

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My buddy and I were just talking about how Renault will now be the most divisive team on the grid. People largely hate Ocon... Alonso is hated and beloved. I don't think any team has quite that dynamic with the fans. McLaren will likely be most loved because most everyone looks at Ric and his smile masks the deushbaggery and people just love him and then there's Lando... and how can anyone not like that kid? It's the competition between these two teams that I'll watch... almost good vs evil.

Senna1994 and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My "evil" team will stay Red Bull, because of Marko and all the skuldugery they keep generating all the time (2 protests last weekend!), plus Verstappen, the racing brat.
    Renault will be an interesting team to watch the next 2 years; how works the cohabitation with Abiteboul, Alonso and Ocon.

I was an ardent follower of McLaren since Prost time, and neglected them following the 2007 season, but I will start rooting for them again.
    Not a fan of Zak Brown, but I like Seidel, Norris and of course Ricciardo.

Senna1994 likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My "evil" team will stay Red Bull, because of Marko and all the skuldugery they keep generating all the time (2 protests last weekend!), plus Verstappen, the racing brat.
    Renault will be an interesting team to watch the next 2 years; how works the cohabitation with Abiteboul, Alonso and Ocon.

I was an ardent follower of McLaren since Prost time, and neglected them following the 2007 season, but I will start rooting for them again.
    Not a fan of Zak Brown, but I like Seidel, Norris and of course Ricciardo.

13. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah they sort of looked like the keystone cops after 07. I'm glad to see them on a good trajectory again. It's hard watching teams like McLaren and Williams in such bad form... especially when it appears they don't know why or how to fix it. While I'm not really a Ric fan, they're gonna have a good lineup and with Merc power. Hopefully they're able to make the swap and hit the ground running without spending a year trying to figure out how to extract the power.

I think Renault will continue to have power deficit and reliability issues. I really think McLaren and Racing point have the edge on them and will continue to do so.

william and Senna1994 like this.
  14. #89 BaldyMountainRipper, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Fair enough. Yes, whether he's an all-time great is debatable.
    You also have people on this list passionately arguing that Schumacher and Hamilton aren't truly all-time greats, so...

What is not debatable, however, is the fact that he's entertaining to watch. Especially in the right car.
    To me, he's one of the last true old-school racers-- always fully committed, fearless, extremely talented and competitive.

As a spectator, what's not to love about that? You don't have to like him or root for him, live with him or work with him.
    Just enjoy watching him drive and race. You can even go ahead and root against him. I don't see the problem.

So ******* sick of people seeing everything in simplistic and obtuse binary terms.
    "Alonso - poison - bad - me no want." Really...

Maybe we should move beyond that.

greg328, stavura, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    On a positive note ,thank god Ferrari didn't want Teflonso.;)

rmani likes this.
  16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris

I absolutely agree. I don't really hate driver. I may or not be a fan, but I dont have that vitriol that some do towards some of the drivers. That I don't get.

BaldyMountainRipper likes this.
  17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im the same except for Seb. Ferrari kept him 1 or more years too long. So sure no acceptable replacement, but the cost and consistency of his errors were glaring. My feelings are towards him yes but more so towards the team. They did not appear to pressure him publicly to assess his driving and he resisted coaching publicly and we have him making errors at the wrong time in a car that could win.

Difference between FA and Seb - one wins with less than perfect equipment and has noticeable race-craft and the other is the opposite. Thanks we have Charles to move on with.

BaldyMountainRipper likes this.
  18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree. Whether one is a specifically a fan of his or not, F1 is more entertaining when he's racing. He's a committed driver who more often than not gets the full potential out of whatever car he is driving and has good wheel-to-wheel battles. I like seeing him race. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Skill. We all ask to see that in drivers. FA has it. No matter the machine. He excels. No question of his skill. Welcome back!

20. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    +1
    Yes welcome back Fernando

greg328 and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. And that, my friends, is the bottom line...

greg328 likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I started to strongly detest Alonso in 2007 after watching the way he was damaging my fav team with his shenanigans.
    As experienced driver going all sulky because a rookie in the team was holding his own wasn't very dignified for a twice WDC.
    His part in the Spygate, and the Crashgate a year later told me all I needed to know about the guy.

Agent Smith likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 well said, thanks.

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Pedro might be self-medicating?:eek:(just kidding Pedro);)

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    This cartoon illustrates what the artist and a lot of the tifosi felt at the time. The Red Bulls were simply being steered to victory by Vettel and whatever result the Ferrari's were achieving was by the sheer will and talent of Alonso. I believe it's from 2013:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328, Fritz Ficke, stavura and 4 others like this.