Well boys... she was fun while she lasted. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Well boys... she was fun while she lasted.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is not totaled - not even remotely close. The frame is also more than likely fine. These cars are strong. It takes a lot to get them out of shape. What you will now experience is how fast Ferrari sometimes cannot be when it comes to shipping parts. Luigi takes his sweet time down in the storeroom... Forgettta-boutit...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    russellmcg likes this.
  3. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Words well said! Trust me, I drove the hell out of it for the months I had it. :-D I agree with you, I don't worry about miles or anything along those lines. I waited my entire life to buy one of these cars so I am going to drive it till it explodes!

Side note, I was planning on doing your brake bedding process this weekend, looks like that is now put on hold. :-D

4. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    The good thing is that Ferrari of Houston is one of the only shops in the nation that has a complete body shop. Or at least that is what I have seen while at the hospital looking on my phone. If so, I am sending it to the dealer to get fixed.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry man, get her fixed ASAP and make sure you add a diminished value to your claim. Your Cali will bring 20-25% less when time to sell or trade.
    It might be just a car but its a special car.
    Good Luck

6. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah. I am looking now at how to do a diminished value claim. First time I have ever been in an accident so figuring it out as I go.

7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Feel free to PM if you would like more information

8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Keep us posted, Russell!

9. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks Alex, will do.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You say it will bring 20-30% less. I say prove it. In the real world when cars are properly fixed and show to have no structural damage, it rarely matters in the end. The twin shunt 488 gets normal price offers from my dealer, so it is what it is. That's Europe of course.
    The idea of devaluing a car that much because of a new bumper is idiotic. It might fly over there, but not here - doubt it though.

The stories I hear from State side usually goes like this. Buyer 1 tries to squeeze the dealer for an insignificant prior incident. Dealer asks buyer 1 to sit and spin.
    Buyer 2 understands the basics of what has been done and buys the car at or close to asking price.
    I have not heard of a case here or there where the depreciation went like you say - and I think you will have a hard time proving your claim.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Quick update on the car. They are sending it over to the Ferrari dealership to get an estimate on how much it will cost to repair. At first, they were talking about totaling it, but now it seems like they want to look more at it.

Also, the insurance company will not cover the cost to repair the wrap I have on it which is a bummer.

I also really need to find a lawyer or someone for the diminished value part. From speaking with my agent, if she only has insurance for the minimum (25k) then there is no way for me to go after her on the diminished part.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    [​IMG]
    Dead 458. The rear panels got hit too, estimate over $100k...
    Last Friday, I picked up this F12:[​IMG]

Gh21631, Texas Forever and vjd3 like this.
  13. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Ryalex! You can take over this thread anytime you want if you post pictures of an F12!!! Hands down a car that is on my list to purchase one day! Very stunning and congrats on it! Love the color.

ryalex likes this.
  14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    1. Never said 30%
    2. Most dealers and high line aftermarket dealers will not offer at all, period on an airbag deployed Ferrari. And if you can find one that does you better believe they would start at 20-25% off retail.
    3. The US is full of ultra low mile clean carfax no stories Ferrari's. Many sit and sit on the market what do you think happens when they see a rebuilt wreck?
    4. Paying within 10-15% for a wrecked and put back together, repainted always blemished history Ferrari is not a brilliant move.
    I respect your vast mechanical knowledge but IMHO you are mistaken on this issue. I have personal experience on this so consider it proven.
    Sincerely,

tonyswfla likes this.
  15. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you have uninsured / under insured motorist coverage, your insurance company picks up the overage up to your limit. Many Insurance companies state diminished value is not a real claim or they don't pay it. Its real and you will suffer the $ loss when you sell. No idea if you can claim the wrap.
    Good Luck

16. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Ditto on personal experience as well...unfortunately. Agreed on the 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks! Going to dig in more on this.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks Russell. Yeah going to wrap it anyway. I still love the color I had, and frankly I got used to the ease of wiping down and cleaning the wrap. The TdF blue shows dust, sand, spots and fingerprints nearly as bad as the black of the 458.

If it were me I would push them to total the California. If that is your fluid on the ground under it, you don't want it back.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Who was ticketed?

20. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    According to the cop, she was. I am still waiting on the police report but I did see him give her one.

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, that's good news because in Texas, you can't get your own insurance company to pay diminished value.

russellmcg likes this.
  22. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Got word from the insurance company today that the total damage would be around $105,000 to repair. Looks like they are going to total it. Now, once everything is sorted with insurance and whatnot, I am going to upgrade to a T.

I loved my Cali, but there were some small things I didn't like about her that are fixed in the T. Mainly things like the stereo and Bluetooth. I need to go read up on the buying guide for the T's.

This is one I really have my eye on. I love the interior on it.
    https://preowned.ferrari.com/en/US/search/2016/ferrari/california_t/2016_ferrari_california_t-ferrari_of_denver-ZFF77XJA3G0217922

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hope it works out for you McG.
    T

russellmcg likes this.
  24. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks! Not having a car for the past week has been killing me. Hopefully, I will be back in one soon.

ryalex and tomc like this.
  25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I had the same problem. I was like a severe OCD sufferer looking at cars NONSTOP for two weeks from the crash to buying the F12. People are surprised I moved so quickly but I was flexible on some things including exterior (since I wanted to wrap again), but was mostly looking for Daytonas, carbon driver zone and yellow calipers; lighter interior and HiFi preferred. Turns out this car ticked all my must have boxes and then some.

Going to wrap the next one too? I'm surprised you like black in Houston heat, but the cream or sabbia interiors are sharp.

Texas Forever likes this.