Weird rust-through on driver's door shell | FerrariChat

Weird rust-through on driver's door shell

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Jul 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #1 180 Out, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the door panel off the driver's side of my '83 400i yesterday to fix the door handle linkage and found this very severe and very strange patch of rust on the shell, almost at the rear of the door. Check the photo. What makes it strange is that it so high up on the panel, not down in the bottom of the shell where water and debris might be trapped. The rusty area ends at the point where the shell panel goes from vertical to horizontal. Conversely, the bottom of the shell is rust free and clear of debris, and the drain holes are unobstructed. There is no water staining at all on the inside of the interior door panel in the location of this rust patch. Yet the rust obviously began on the outside of the shell, on the surface which faces the door panel. The patch is much larger on the outside than on the inside.

I applied a wire wheel and some P.O.R. 15 and I'm going to put the door panel back on and forget all about this rust patch. But I'm curious if anyone else has observed this strange condition. BTW, my car has some very minor rust bubbles at other locations, the kind that only the owner can see, and some extensive surface rust in the trunk under the backlight. I haven't looked into the trunk too closely, a mixture of cowardice and a long list of higher priorities.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good work sorting that and dont worry too much about rust I have a 1977 400 and found rust for sure but not unfixable.

You can treat all the likely areas with a rust coverter ie Dinitrol RC 900 and further with cavity waxes these can come in aerosol with a flexible wand that can get into very tight or inaccesible places icluding drilling pilot holes in all box sections and chassis (preventative) in my example only light surface contamination inside main chassis but good practice for the next 50 years!! These modern waxes have extremely good creeping qualities which get into all 'nooks and crannies'

Main areas of concern are predictable but particularly the trunk area where the floor panel joins the rear side panel. not that difficult to remove the tanks and get in there for inspection/repare and sills , wheel arches any areas where sheets meet each other.

Regards
    Alastair

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It might have been a thin spot in the paint from the factory. I had an area like this, but not quite as bad in the trunk. It was at the back of the car where the body goes out, just above the tail lights. I think due to the angle of the metal (it is almost vertical facing down) there must have not been much paint and therefore I had some rust. Just like you I cleaned it up and used POR 15 on it.

4. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #4 180 Out, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like the thin primer theory. Bare steel would rot in 29 years even without any obvious exposure to water. Here's a pic from today, after two coats of P.O.R. 15 and with a sheet of white paper inserted behind, to show how extensive the rust-through is. Uuuugly!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I was really amazed at how well the interior panels that I've seen are coated w/undercoating, I had removed all of the carpeting from the trunk & everything's black. Maybe some of the areas that are uncoated were done after lunch. :D :D

7. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    funny, I don't remember any factory undercoating on my car--neither in the trunk nor inside the doors. If it were there, I would have removed it---then (what I did do) scraped and RustCured back to clean metal first, before go with POR15 in the bottoms. The only reason for undercoating is to reduce noise, but undercoating will be more likely to trap moisture than protect the metal...Lee

8. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    In my first photo we can see, on the backside of the outer door sheetmetal, a lumpy material which may or may not be properly described as "undercoating," and which is apparently coated with primer or some other coating which looks not to be suitable for a top coat. We also see, on the door assembly's inner sheet metal, what appears to be a coating of my car's top coat, Rosso Nearco, applied to sheet metal which does not have the lumpy material. However, because primer often comes in a red hue -- e.g., the color of the backside of the outer sheetmetal on this very door -- this paint may also be primer and not the undoubtedly more expensive Rosso Nearco top coat used on the exterior.

By the way, I hope I can be forgiven for not doing a repair of this area and/or undertaking other restorative and preventive measures at this time. Job One for this car is to get it past the California Smog Check II process and registered for the road. With limited weekend hours available, at this time I have to target my efforts at that goal. Cali cops -- and our motor vehicle regulations -- can be such a Gestapo operation that a single traffic stop could lead to an impound and other unpleasant bureaucratic processes: things I would like to avoid.

9. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    By the way, I hope I can be forgiven for not doing a repair of this area and/or undertaking other restorative and preventive measures at this time. Job One for this car is to get it past the California Smog Check II process and registered for the road. With limited weekend hours available, at this time I have to target my efforts at that goal.

Absolutely, good job there for now, enjoy the car and those issues can be dealt with for sure one thing at a time. With reasonable care these cars will be around for the next 100 years.
    Regards
    Alastair

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have a couple of pix of the trunk when I removed all carpeting, etc. showing the black paint/undercoat but for the life of me I can't find them. I'll post them when I do.