weights and cardio (calf related) | FerrariChat

weights and cardio (calf related)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carsonp, Jul 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    I’ve been lifting one day and doing cardio the next but as i posted in another thread im not as "worn out" as id like at the end of weights so i tried a 15 minute jog afterwards. Well, my calves quit on me. Actually, it seems as though my calves generally give out before my lungs or my overall energy level. The problem is I want to run every day (main goal right now is lose weight)

Should i do cardio (running) every day? Or should i just not work them during weights at all (not directly anyway) and just run?

My concern is letting my calves recuperate. What will happen if i don’t let them? Will they just not grow? Or will they also not gain endurance?

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Back when I was more serious about running, and less so about overall body strength a few years back; I went from running 10 minute miles to sub 7 minute miles in just 6 weeks... I ran 5 days a week right from the get go; increasing the regemin twice per week... both in terms of distance, as well as speed. I always would push myself to do more than what I was comfortable with. Always plenty of streatching. My calves hurt, but after 6 weeks, they hurt "good". No pain, no gain!

I'm not in that kind of shape right now, nor is that a current goal.

There are types of running which yield good results.

1. Constant pace - make sure you are exerting yourself. Not a jog that is barely above a brisk walk.
    2. Run hard, walk hard, run hard.
    3. Constant pace, run hard as long as you can at the end.

twice per week, increase the distance you run hard. Once per week, increase the total distance covered.

There are some sites that teach how to prepare in a more acceptable way for a 5k/10k in 8 weeks or so.

I base my own experience on my old phys. ed coach's program. I could go more in depth if you want. While I'm not a good runner now, I do know what works.

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I had the same issues about a year ago. After a good leg workout my leg muscles can be pretty beat making a run past a cooldown rather difficult with that wonderfull "rubbery" leg feeling.

So I moved my runs to 5am and do the leg workouts at 3 or 4pm. Now the next mornings run, since you want to run every day is going to still be harder for a while.

I can't comment on the other questions as it'd be good to know about you. age, diet, calorie limits and fitness goals before I would want to provide feedback on that.

Regardless of what you do to get past this, keep going.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do you work out your calves with weights at all? You may need to strengthen them.

I wouldn't say you can over-work your legs because they are your primary function everyday. It's certainly not going to hurt to give them a day off.

5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    If your goal is to be able to run more and increase (and your calves') exercise capacity yes, run every day. Start slow and minimally increment distance, time, and/or speed until you're able to run those variables as you desire.

As Texas noted calves are postural muscles which mean they're designed for repetitive movements w.out fatigue/failure, and as long as you can walk ok you can train them. Even if you're sore you should do light exercise - light ex is good particularly when you're sore.