Weekend Edition Wall Street Journal visits GTO Engineering | FerrariChat

Weekend Edition Wall Street Journal visits GTO Engineering

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by damian in nj, May 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    The WSJ auto features writer, Dan Neil, was in the UK for the Rolls Royce Cullinan release, and spent a day visiting GTO Engineering where he opines on Ferrari recreations and got to drive one of their 250 SWB's. Nothing earth shattering in the story, which is titled 'Imitation Game: The Art of Faking a Ferrari'.

Often their articles become unlocked after a week or two, usually they're password protected for subscribers so I can't post a link that will open fully.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-art-of-faking-a-ferrari-1525963426

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but why fake ferrari? it is still a ferrari.
    GTO is always telling the original serial number ( only the number, not the letters ) so it is no fake in my eyes. and everybody could check with this serial number what car it once was. and as long as it is the original frame with the original frame number then it is still a ferrari. there are on the market a lot of other cars ( like mercedes pagode with US 4 and 6 cylinder engines but they are still mercedes ) not original but still with the original manufacturer plate.

nevertheless a good article, but what is written there: That paint is getting very hard to source, actually - as mr lyon noted is not right. I have used this kind of paint since more than 20 years and still use it.and today it is easy to coat the valve covers and it looks like original wrickle paint

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    A former GTO employee told me the only Ferrari part in the cars is a tiny piece of frame with the Ferrari chassis number on it get it a Ferrari title. In his words they could build a 250SWB on a 456 chassis number if nesessary. I’ve heard that some have used 308 chassis numbers.

4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    When Favre was doing almost the same thing it was a scandal.

Now, for some reason and to some people, it is acceptable.

Discuss.

Texas Forever and Daytonafan like this.
  5. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Now that is interesting. For a car that you take out for a Sunday morning blast for you own pleasure, if you are not looking to fool anyone other than the licensing authorities. If you find a car which as GTO say cannot be saved under any circumstances. Also, saying 308 on the logbook makes future fraud less possible.

Its been discussed many times before, its gets heated. One interesting poster left and hasn't been heard of since.

6. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've posted a question about this here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146084945/

What Matthew says is what I have heard from a number of others.

Romano's point - "as long as it is the original frame" - is a comment I also hear a lot, but plainly if the former is the case, then it's not the complete original frame at all, is it?

This can also be understood from a simple calculation of wheelbase figures - i.e. the difference between a 330 GT 2+2 and a 250 SWB is 250mm. I'm sure there are quite a few people who wrongly assume that to build these replicas, a lovely new hand-beaten body is just 'dropped' onto the all-original tubing and bolted on without a fuss...

-Ed

7. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    UPDATE: Individual who works with the company states that he has confirmed with GTO Engineering that they only rebody the original chassis...

Posted here without comment.

-Ed