Wee for Wii = $16m | FerrariChat

Wee for Wii = $16m

Discussion in 'Technology' started by norcal2, Oct 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
  3. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I heard some talk about that contest on another radio show, The Free Beer and Hotwings show for anyone in one of their markets. Apparently the contest hosting show did not do any checking on possible consequences of all that water and refused to stop when nurses and doctors warned them during the show. That's probably what the link in the previous post demonstrates.

That woman should have known when to stop but they have some responsibility not to encourage dangerous behavior. That said, 16M seems a little steep.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think this is justified.

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I agree about personal responsibility.

However, most had never heard of water intoxication, and the radio show should have done some due-diligence before enacting something like this.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. They proved that these guys KNEW the risks and continued to do it after the warning signs where there from the contestant.

If a radio contest tells you to pour gas over yourself and then play with matches, I can't see how they would be any less liable.

It's a tragedy that did not need to happen.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually, they did investigate and they knew the risks and warning signs. But, they proceeded anyway because... it was funny. It's not funny now.

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I was listening to radio snippets today from that broadcast. Crass, and frankly, they and the radio station got what they deserved.

9. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im curious to hear the OP's thoughts having heard our thoughts.

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

My thoughts? $16m? fair amount? yes i think the radio station was partially responsible, so was the participant...what i have a problem is the award amount..im sure it will be reduced on appeal...

11. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Justified? So basically you're assigning a value of $15 million on human life? I can't agree with this at all, and to be honest it makes me somewhat sick.

"On a separate vote of 9-3, jurors awarded the plaintiffs $15.1 million for the loss of Jennifer Strange's love, companionship, comfort, care, assistance, protection, affection, society, moral support, training and guidance."

12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its impossible to put a value on a human life. Whats more important in cases like this is that the two scumbag DJs and anyone else who knew the risks but let it continue go to prison.

If it were my wife no amount of money would sooth the pain...but I would want to make sure that it was a high enough amount that those responsible were bankrupt.

13. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    If this were about justice and not just a cash grab, it would be jail time for all those involved.

Funny how people are always disturbed by reports of "blood money" paying off victims families in other parts of the world, but nobody has a problem with this type of idiocy here at home.

Oh, and stupid is as stupid does. If they had a contest to see who could jump from the highest point, would people flock to compete?

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You cant compare jumping off a cliff to drinking water. Most people would never think they could die from drinking water. I certainly didnt know that.

This is a common problem with our society...the idea that its okay to take advantage of someone if they are ignorant in some way. Its not okay to take advantage of others ignorance any more than its okay for a stronger person to beat up a weaker person.

This attitude is ultimately what caused the fall of our economy and what will be the fall of our race unless it changes.

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #15 mwr4440, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    +1000000000000

Jer, You are on it.

Especially after the fact people (docs) called in warning all involved.

16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    unbelievable

17. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Does anyone know how munch water she drank.

I'm really surprised that you can drink that much water without throwing up.

18. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    It's reported she drank close to two gallons of water.

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Don't the words greed and stupidity have a place in this discussion?

It appears that these days you can make people do anything if there's a little reward at the end. I bet you can die in a hamburger-eating contest too.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

There's an up and a downside in any contest you partake in. Sometimes the downside is a monetary contribution, sometimes it is a physical performance. How much you are willing to give up depends on the size of the reward and your chance of obtaining it. It is the risk-factor you are weighing before your decision to participate, or pulling out of the event before you reach the ultimate goal.

How is this verdict going to impact on TV and radio, or any form of contest? What with series like Survivor etc?

Is this verdict a yardstick to at which point people need to be protected against their own greed and stupidity?

20. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I know the morning after the chicken wing eating contest I was sitting on the toilet thinking, "I wonder if I could sue somebody" Then I would scream again and shoot hot fire out my ass.