Wedding band | FerrariChat

Wedding band

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Gle8, May 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hi all,

This may be an odd question.

My wedding is a little over a month away, and I need a wedding band. Already have hers, and we aren't doing any kind of matching thing.

I've never really worn jewelry of any kind excepting watches. And I'm a bit overwhelmed at the choices. Anyone have one that they like, and preferably photos?

Much appreciated.

2. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I seem to like the hammered/forged look, white gold or platinum.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Congratulations!

Almost 24 years ago (in August) my wife and I got 14k simple gold bands from Service Merchandise (I don’t think those stores exist anymore...). We paid something like $40 for hers and maybe $70 for mine. We were poor graduate students at the time. Simple, inexpensive, and still look fine after all those years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus, Texas Forever and Gle8 like this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Keep it simple. Modest is best.

I put two wedding bands on my wife’s finger; one that matched her big engagement ring and a simple gold band that matched the one she put on my finger. A few years later we had our house robbed and they took her “ice.” She never wanted her diamonds replaced and all these years now has only worn her simple gold band.

I think it keeps life simple, in a good way.

5. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Simple is good - I have my wife's initials and our wedding date engraved on the inside of mine and she has my initials/date on the inside of hers- I'm very fond of this private/personal touch.

Wade likes this.
  6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Simple band, engrave with your anniversary/wedding date... it will be very helpful to do so :).

Boomhauer, Texas Forever and Wade like this.
  7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I may be biased, but I quite like mine. Not totally plain, but not terribly ornate, either.

Get lots of compliments from women who notice it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvin Mobley likes this.
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dom & his wife outspent us by about $50! We got our rings at a jewelry outlet mall on the south end of the Vegas Strip closing in on 20 years ago. I wear my ring on a gold chain around my neck, and the ring lines up right where my heart is. Funny thing, now that we can afford it, I cannot convince the wife to get something blingier. The original carries all the sentimental value to her. I think at the end of the day, simple is better, and the value of the ring lies in the joy it symbolizes not the gold it contains. Just 2 cents from an old married guy!
    T
    p.s. Where are my manner?!? Congrats to you and your soon-t0-be wife. May you have many years of happiness together.

Texas Forever and Dom like this.
  10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #10 JP365, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login First, congratulations. Second, when we were in college, my then girlfriend, now wife, gave me a silver claddagh ring for our first anniversary. I beat the hell out of that ring. Bent it, broke the fingers, etc. I had it repaired probably a half dozen times. When it was time to get married I figured I’d just move it from my right hand to my left. She had the exact ring recast in platinum. Wear marks, bends, welds, breaks, and all. Married for 18 years this July and together for 25 years this September. Some of them have even been happy ;) (Good thing she never goes on F-Chat). Third, according to Irish traditon, you cannot buy the ring. SHE must buy it so love is being given to you and not bought.

David_S, Texas Forever and Wade like this.
  11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    My wife bought me ring I thought I wanted, a Gibeon meteorite inlaid Titanium ring. (Where did you get your ring? Oh? Mine came from SPACE). Trouble is you can't resize Titanium or Gibeon Meteorite, and I lost 25 pounds the year after we got married. It's beautiful, it's a conversation piece. But I don't wear it because it fits too loose now. Also, Gibeon Meteorite is high in iron content and if gets wet and stays wet, rust can appear, but natural skin oils prevents that from happening if worn all the time.

Now, I either wear the $5 silicone rubber rings or a $12 amazon-sourced polished Tungsten ring that's simple and impossible to scratch. Have been wearing 6 months and I can't see any scratches with my naked eye.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  13. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Get 5 cheap (just good enough not to turn your finger green) but identical rings from Costco/Sam's and put 4 away.

Gle8 likes this.
  14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe not wedding band material but I have one of these that I think is pretty cool and it has held up well over the several years I've had it.... http://blackbadger.se/product/eclipse-solid-carbon-fiber-and-agt-ultra-lume-ring
    Some of the newer ones he has since I bought mine look even cooler.

This might be a cool idea if you could talk them into making one out of a gold coin from your wedding year?
    https://www.coinjewelryco.com/collections/one-dollar/products/morgan-silver-dollar-coin-ring

15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    +1 for a simple gold band. Got mine 10 years ago, and it was about 5x the cost of my wife's just due to the size difference.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for all the input!

For the last 6 months I've been wearing an 'engagement' band... after we got engaged we decided that it was only right for me to 'display' that I was already 'taken' just as she would be doing. So she got me a $12 Tungsten band which I actually quite like.

I've been considering the band here: https://www.ravensrefuge.com/product/mens-platinum-wedding-band-hammered/ A bit pricey compared to my current one, but I really like the look of it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    One of my good friends does this and I think it's a very cool concept. He has a couple dozen rings of all shapes and styles and changes them up due to mood or clothing. He gets them online or at estate sales.

As for me, I have a tungsten ring that has a carbon fiber inlay. I wanted it to be reflective of my love of cars.

Couple random points:

1.) Men's bands are always so much cheaper in comparison to women's rings, it's hilarious. We men have it very easy in life.

2.) Like anything else, whatever you choose now will likely be "in style". Much like gold bands on middle aged men (popular at the time they got married) our tungsten/platinum/whatever bands will fade out of fashion eventually. Just get what you like now and enjoy it.

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have a simple platinum band with a ridged edge.
    Not frilly, but sturdy as hell, can be buffed back up and doesn't really scratch.

D Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    First Congratulations!

My wife and I brought our engagement ring and both wedding rings at a mall store in 1977. I think we paid $140 for everything. I have never taken mine off and now that my fingers are fatter, can't get it off.

Postscript: My wife said, and she is of course right, I promised her a better ring on our 25th anniversary. I don't remember saying that, but she has a better memory than me. Only problem is I brought my first Ferrari right before our 25th. Man oh man, did that cost me! However, she deserves it. Anybody who would stay with me for over 40 years clearly has earned it.

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    You got that right!

With my ex? We both got simple, unadorned platinum bands. She paid almost $400 for hers, and I paid right around $200.

After we split up? She sent her ring in to one of those "we buy precious metals" places, and received a check for something like $75...

I traded mine to a local jeweler in exchange for setting a stone (I provided the stone) in a 14kt gold ring/setting, PLUS he gave me $100 cash. And yes - the 14kt ring was part of the deal. Score!

Gle8 likes this.
  22. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    darth550 and AshAP like this.
  23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you wear a watch, you may want to consider coordinating the metal color of the ring with the watch.

24. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good point about coordinating with a watch.

Remember, too,you can have several bands, just as you have several watches. It's just a symbol.

I have the gearring in gunmetal and stainless, and also a couple other rings I rotate out on that finger.

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David