We started the process | FerrariChat

We started the process

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tr0768, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    The best place to start is the front. so my guys removed the front wheels and dissasembled the brakes and removed the rotors and checked wheel bearings. The bearings are in excellent condition so an ultrasound cleaning and repack will be in order. The front seals are still avalible from FOS at $75 each. Upon further inspection of the spindles I noticed small annular groves worn in the spindle from the lip if the wheel seals. The original seals are 72x48x12mm. I found a replacement seal that was 2mm narrower which will move the seal lip away from the worn groove. I will have to machine a 2 mm spacer but that is a simple fix.

Now for the calipers, we plan on sleeving them with a stainless rings we will manufacture in our own facilities. We will also program our cnc machining center to make new stainless pistons as well. We would never send this work out to White Post or any other rebuilder when we have the capabilities and staff to do this in house.

I took the brake rotors off and measured them for thickness and run out, they were very near dead on. My guess a brake job was performed just before the car was put away. I used my Blanchard grinding machine and just lightly kissed the surfaces of the rotors. The Blanchard grinder has a magnetic surface to hold the rotors solidly to the surface while grinding with virtually no vibration. The end result is a beautiful swurled finish duplicating a factory finish. The griding process is much less harsh than a brake drum lathe or rotor machine. Its far more accurate than a cheap on car rotor finish machine. We ended up removing a total of 3.2 mm, still well below Federal standards.

Now for my questions:

Front wheel bearing grease: Synthetic, or molybendulem, or hi temp wheel bearing grease??

Brake fluid?? Sylicone, synthetic, dot 4??????

Brake pads OEM, aftermarket, which brand ?????

Rear struts: My car is a 1982, and I thought 1982 and later had the self leveling struts. I find lo hoses or lines connected anywhere to the rear struts. Have I missed someting in translation?????

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati spider

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sounds like an excellent project.

I have two suggestions.

1. Can you post pictures of the work so we can all learn?

2. Could you make a kit of the stainless parts for the calipers?

Thanks and good job.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The switch to the hydraulic self-leveling system occurred from s/n 42705 and thereafter, sometime during the 1983 production year.

If your s/n is < 42705, you don't have to deal with that stuff.

4. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I have not thought about providing kits to rebuild the calipers. The difficulty would be having your caliper bores machined to accept the overside stainless ring insert. The issue is who would be doing your machine work and the reliability and quality of their work. Sadly I have more than a lifetime of restoration work on my own projects and have no time or interest in starting new ventures. My guys are busy every day just keeping up with my ecentricities and wild hare brained projects. At present we are finishing a 308gtsi, starting the 400i, in the middle of a 1931 Hudson boat tail roadster ground up restoration, just starting a 1912 Indianappolis chain drive race car, plus general maintainence on my brass era cars for this upcoming tour season. I would be happy to give any chatter the information we come up with to help you along with your cars. I could provide drawings, specs and materials to rebuild your own calipers, or any other restoration issues with your 400.

I am in love with this car, it is such a fine road car and elegant tourer. I'm most excited to take this one later this summer and stretch its legs in Eastern Washington, lots of fun roads and little traffic and even less watchful eyes of Barney Fife!!!! I want the top down the accelorator on the floor and the wind in my hair!!!!!and the exhaust tones in my ear!!!!

Thank you for the information on the self leveling suspension, my car is manufactured before the change, thank god.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati spider