Wayne Carini's 250 GTE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wayne Carini's 250 GTE

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by FarEastFerrari, May 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    :(

Why doesn't Ferrari shut them down? They probably don't have the resources to track the one-off conversions, but when it is basically an assembly line...

2. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ferrari won't shut em down. Do you know how many cars they push through the classiche ??

3. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    They also have a SWB body shell. Why would they take the chassis off a SWB? To make a SWB California?

4. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Just posted this same thought on another thread, but: rather than discussing 2+2 valuations vs other Enzo Ferraris, or even 250s, how is it that a 250GTE is worth only half what it's Aston Martin contemporary would bring? It can't all be 'James Bond' premium...

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #31 peterp, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Here's an interesting comparison between the two -- unfortunately the comparison is from 1983 so may not be relevant to how they compared when new:

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/The%20Documents/Article%20Classic%20&%20Sports%20Car%20198309%20Ferrari%20vs%20Aston%20Martin.pdf

EDIT: Above link doesn't work, but the article be found by Googling: GTE Aston Martin site:ferraridatabase.com

6. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Last time I looked Aston Martin was the one of the "worlds coolest brands". Just behind rolex and apple. I'd say that explains a big chunk of the premium.

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    For a lot of wealthy Brits and Anglophile Americans in their late 40's to 60's Aston Martin has a very special place as THE "cool" car brand of their youth. Thank you Mr Bond! This kind suave bespoke British image has been much used by advertising and has hence appealed to younger buyers.

This is not to underestimate the counterbalancing force of smooth Italian style, which (to me at least) the Enzo era Ferrari personifies, particularly the 2+2's.

Do not forget though that Ferrari's "cool" has been damaged by the relentless marketing of merchandise, red trousers, red hats, aftershave, bath towels etc and its association with quickly acquired wealth, the 80's, older men with second wives in open top cars etc etc.
    Aston have dodged all this.

I remember telling a very "cool" fashion editor woman (one i know, not one i was trying to hit on) that I had "bought a ferrari".
    Her face dropped..then I showed her a picture of my GTE.."Wow" she cooed "thats beautiful, it looks just like an Aston martin !"

The irony is that Ferrari's car building has been much superior, particularly of late.

As to whether one should care what the "professionally cool think", well that's another conversation.
    I expect it has though, effected the percieved desirability and hence value of our cars.

8. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
  9. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
  10. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
  11. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Agreed.
    Do we know the name of the interior colour?

12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ah, Arancia, should have read the add, lovely