Wayne Carini's 250 GTE | FerrariChat

Wayne Carini's 250 GTE

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by FarEastFerrari, May 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Hi does anyone know how much Wayne Carini's 250 GTE sold for in the auction earlier this month? I forget which auction it was listed at.

2. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #2 FarEastFerrari, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Euro 308 K Plus buyers. Sold on the 10th may

4. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    sold in Monaco - this was the comment on Classic Car Finance website

"1962 Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2 Series II – £251,500

Not even ten years ago it was possible to buy a 250 GTE for less than £75,000 – so why did this car do so well in Monaco? We asked Ferrari expert James Cottingham of DK Engineering.

This was a good result for this car – just three years ago its value would have been somewhere around £100-130,000. That said, this is a front-engined V12 Ferrari and the fierce demand for these cars means that many potential buyers need to think a little more laterally if they want to find a V12 that fits their budget. Compared to it’s better known siblings you could argue that it offers good value for money"

5. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I'm glad that the world is starting to appreciate the 250 GTEs.

6. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Well looks like your long them. I think the world is in love with old V12s.

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    shouldn't this be on the market sub forum?
    I'm quite happy to extol the virtues of the GTE but not the price

8. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Was this the one he bought from the gentleman in Queens, N.Y. in one of the episodes?

9. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    AFAIK, we are talking about 2 different cars.

Wayne Carini's car was 4355GT:

1963 Ferrari 250GTE at F40 Motorsports in Portland, CT

The car discussed above selling in Monaco is 377GT.

https://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1065752

10. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Lusso was the Queens car, silver/black.

Jack

11. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Right. I wonder what happened to that one?

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    When you think about it then its a no brainer, they have virtually the same engine as a $52 million dollar car, in that respect they are complete bargains even now at that price.

How much does it cost to convert a GTE engine to GTO spec?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Probably sold on the truck before he crossed the Whitestone Bridge.

14. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I heard Wayne got over $400,000 US for 4355 GT, but that is all I know. 3777 GT, when you add in a buyers commission of 10%, comes to about $465,000.

By the way, there will be a GTE on "What's My Car Worth" on the last show of this season, so maybe Keith Martin will finally settle the value issue... :)

15. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    We shouldn't get too excited about the auction prices. Most of the cars that were sold were in pristine condition with new renovation work and paint jobs. We shouldn't fall into the trap of looking at an auction price and believe that our cars would/should be the same value without physically doing the work and spending a whole lot of money to bring the 'driver' cars to an award winning condition.

16. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Funny, as there are many said that day would never come.

Hope it leads to what others said will never happen, the abandoned cars becoming worth more then the replica's and thus worthwhile to rebuild.

Even if re-built with repro engines it would be nice to see them live again.

Love the colors on this one.

17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    They are clearly being pulled up by the stratospheric prices of the more popular V12 cars, as will the replica's of such cars so the disparity will continue, I still dont see a day when a GTO rep goes back to GTE spec

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Possibly true and possibly not. If it is primarily investors that are driving the market, then it may not be true because originality in collectibles tends to be much more bankable. I can't think of a single collectibles market where there is any meaningful investment value in fakes. Possibly it is different for Ferraris and possibly not, only time will tell I guess.

If the above is true, I'm hopeful that GTE's and other 2+2's are no longer hacked up. I think we are already seeing nice GTE's valued higher than at least some GTO conversions, so in theory it could make sense to revert them to original form, but the cost to revert them to GTE form may prevent that from actually happening.

19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    A replica based on an original is very different to a knock off looking a bit like an original, whatever the market may be. We are not talking Pontiac Fiero F40s here being pulled up in price as a result of the real deal doubling in value.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #20 peterp, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    The vast majority of the GTO fakes based upon GTE and 330 GT mechanicals are very, very inaccurate. They could be fun to own, and I can easily see a non-puritan enthusiast buying one to drive, but I can't see any way for inaccurate fabrications to be bankable to an investor.

I can't find it at the moment, but I think there was a thread here a few months ago about a GTE conversion that was supposed to be dead accurate (maybe even done in period). A perfect recreation might actually be a great investment long-term, but I suspect the vast majority of inaccurate GTO conversions will be viewed as damaged goods by investors in this market. I might be wrong, but I can't think of another collectors' market parallel where value is added by destroying an original to create a poor facsimile of something else.

21. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thomas. Did you get my pm ?

22. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #22 Vincent Vangool, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    I would bet the house all day long that you are wrong.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but my feeling is people are beginning to value GTE's for what they truly are, classic Ferrari's versus donor cars.

At one point they were just GTE's. But I think that mindset has changed. They are becoming more and more appreciated as the beautiful classics that they are and people are realizing they're not donor cars, and that recreations will never be true classics.

You have to realize that the whole Recreation thing was started in the 80's when these cars were looked at as junk. They are no longer looked at that way by a long-shot and the veil of recreations is being lifted by the people that collect big dollar cars as being not as great as the real thing, even if that thing is a 2+2. Mindsets change as genuine articles age.

I believe what Peterp said is pretty spot on.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but my guess is that pretty soon these cars will be getting ther engines back and the recreated hulks will be getting recreated engines in their place.

There is only so much shine you can put on a recreation to fool not only the world but also yourself. Sooner or later an original classic Ferrari is an original classic Ferrari and a recreation is not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hater of recreations, I actually like them and see their place. I just don't feel an original car needs to be sacrificed to make them with what is now available today in terms of recreated parts. I feel at one time due to the low value of GTE's it was the way to go but I feel like GTE's are now finding there way into the spotlight. I like recreations, but they should be just that, pure recreations that don't sacrifice an original car.

23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Terry Hoyle told me that (perhaps in self justification) most of the GTE's he cut up to build replica's were on thier last legs, rusting through, basically scrap.

How many of those can be left ? The remaining cars are probably runners, somebody's and now justify high prices and expensive restorations ( see page 20 on the main GTE thread).

GTEs (and for that matter 330' GTs) are great original things and the additional seats and luggage space as useful now as they were in the 60's. Last time I looked people still have kids , dogs and luggage. Women in particular have luggage.
    "Hey Honey, fancy a romantic driving holiday through the wine country?"
    "Excellent, what can I pack ?"
    "Err, a tooth brush ?"

So the number of doner cars is down and thier prices up.

This may not matter if the prices of replicas were to march up with the price of SWBs and GTO's, but will it ?
    Whilst i can understand paying 10's of millions for a real car with real history can I understand paying say 1-2 Million for a pretend car with no history?

I hear rumours that GTO Engineering have a batch on the way (numbers vary between 7 and 13) I wonder how much people will pay ? Ask yourself how much you would pay ?
    You just know you are going to end up in a car park at an event being told this isn't right or that isn't right. Driving may well be fun, but multimillion dollar fun ?

As to whether re-bodied cars will ever be returned to GTE/330 ) spec I dont know. How much are the costs of reproducing a 2+2 body and interior..and even if you did do you then still have something un original ?

24. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    The 250 GTE / 330 America's are beautiful cars. They are surprisingly small compared to modern equivalents and they make 'all the right sounds'. Today you would have to pay more than $300K for even basic drivers but I am convinced with less than 200+ remaining it would be a fantastic investment. It would be great if all the Ferrari fans would save them from the chopshops. What is a better value a 300K FF or a 250 GTE? One will lose 15% a year and the other appreciate at least that much. I bought a 612 Scaglietti to cruise around town in Hong Kong but there is no comparison to the classic beauty and elegance of the earlier V12s. I will buy more later this year if I can get my hands on a good one.

25. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I am speaking of the cars that still exist versus building bodies from scratch.

From what I can tell there seems to be carcasses left from cars that were not scrap when they were gutted.

Any info on the GTO engineering cars would be appreciated.