Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I had a very unpleasant experience with Mr. Carini which involved a 250GTO I was restoring. Let's just say my rectum is still sore and the incident occred in 1997.

2. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    +3 on Roger. Some of his wise-cracks are gems.

3. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I don't know how Roger's back holds up at his age. He looks like he's 6'2" or 6'3" and like any mechanic is always in awkward positions. I hope he's teaching those youngsters a thing or two, because the day Roger decides to retire, guys like that aren't easily replaced.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    LOL. Best wishes for a full recovery.

5. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I have never met Wayne nor dealt with him in person but I think it is really unfair some of people in here are criticizing him based on some comment he made on a show. I'm sure all of us have made some stupid comments on one thing or another. I certainly have. I've seen some of his shows. He doesn't come off to me as someone who acts like a 'know it all'. The web while wonderful in its invention to connect the vast world together also has the unfortunate side effect of giving some people the feeling of anonymity so we might say things that we may not say in person. Unless someone has a real and genuine grievance with the man, I would suggest we leave him be.

6. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I'd like to see more mechanic driven shows and less hype, drama and chest thumping on these Velocity type shows. I agree that the best parts of the Carini show are the shop scenes with Roy.

I prefer Wheeler Dealers. They don't handle super exotic cars, but I love the Ed China bits where they show him discussing his approach to this or that mechanical fix. My 7 year old also likes that one.

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Love watching WD and have learned a few tips from Ed but its much more about entertainment than anything else.

Ever wonder what their P&L sheet would look like if they figured in Ed's labor?

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The early shows were the best.

Well, you see this Porsche with the nasty dent in the side? Just a golfball of filler and pea of hardener, a bit of sand paper and a CAN OF RED SPRAY PAINT will fix it!

The cars they fixed on WD looked much better before they moved to HD. Now you can see everything!

I still say Roger should have his own show fixing classics. That would just be awesome.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Rodger and Ed. The automotive Odd Couple. TV gold!

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That'd be awesome. I'd watch that.

11. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    I was shocked when I watched one of his "restorations" and the use of "rattle can" spray paint on brake system of the car. In so far as a "restoration" is concerned,..that's not how you do it. IMHO.

But to his credit, he didn't hide anything and showed the world how they do it at F-40.

12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    My oldest daughter and family have moved from NYC to Conn. and I look forward in taking an afternoon and driving up to his shop sometime.

Anyone been there ?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not a terribly impressive facility until you stroll through the shop and see a half dozen or more Enzo-era Ferrari. Always seem to be a Lusso, 275 GTB, Dino, GTC and Daytona lurking about. Pretty cool stuff.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There's virtually nothing worth watching on Velocity these days. The Isle of Man TT is about it. Clarkson could do something for them, but I doubt they'd pay his price.

It was a great idea, and there's a wealth of important and entertaining material, but "reality" shows with cars are still just "reality" shows.

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I watch most of the car shows. The only one close to reality is Wheeler Dealers. Even that don't believe China does that much work. They have mechanics who do most of it.

Side note: my degree is in film and television production (Ryerson University). One of our labs was at one of Canada's largest cable television providers (Rogers). Well they had a public access channel with various local content produced by them. One of the programs we worked on was local politicians updating their districts on things going on in the legislature. The show looked like a live news cast. We always did several takes, even with interviews. It was really fake BS.

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    If most owners only knew what many of the Italian factories looked like when their cars were originally built , their precious babies were born from dirt, tree stumps and lousy spray guns.

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    It's a channel about nothing

They need a new version of Alain De Cadenet Victory by Design, now that was a good show!

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The new series is on and they're in the States. First 2 episodes are on youtube. Sometimes Ed and Mike are comedy gold, I would personally choose them to replace the lads at Top Gear

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I Think if Adam Corolla had a show it could be a hit, all they would have to do is hand him a few beers, a microphone and set him loose interviewing car owners.

20. jr3

jr3 Rookie

Sep 17, 2009
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    JR
    A few shows back Roger wanted to have sex with a Porsche engine he was about to work on lol

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He also had a great little series called Renaissance Man a few years ago.

22. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    He has Two Daughter's and one is Autistic! He is a real big Player in the group "Autism Speaks" and donates a good amount to the charity - probably the most one can write off on Quarterly Taxes and puts a Sizeable sum into his Autistic daughter's Trust Fund so she can live comfortably and have the services and access to the services she requires.

Their was an Episode where he bought his Autistic Daughter a Messerschmitt for her Trust and he bought his other daughter a BMW Isetta four wheeler because that was the car Erkle drove in that one TV shows in the early 90s!

I inquired with F40 about a year ago about having advice on buying an AC ACE Bristol. The dealer wanted $327,500 for it... when I talked to Wayne about it he said that the Price of the car was then at the top of the price for a #1 Car and that it wouldn't make sense to pay him for his services if the car was at that price. Yet he said if I had found one in a barn or someone's garage then paying for an advisor's fee would make more sense.

Since then, about a year or so ago, he called me on a few #2 and #3 cars but I had my money tide up in a few real estate flips. Beside I wanted as close to a #1 car as possible and the Good English people sell parts for as much as their weight in gold. So buying a #2 or #3 car eventually cost more than a #1 car ultimately. It's the poops but that's the way the cookie, or biscuit as they say in Britain, crumbles.

23. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I wonder how they make any money after the bookkeepers figure in Fixed Overhead and Edd's Labor?

Also the depreciation curve on most cars in Britain is silly. That and you have to take your car in for an MOT where they check to see if the car is still road worthy. Then and after the car isn't worth repairing anylonger and has to be junked it's the Car's Owner who has to pay the junkyard to take the car off their hands.

Sometimes you see the prices of these cars before and after being fixed and the Price they sell at after hand's are shook are still a very decent price. Add on top of that the Boat trip to the US and Tariff's and whatever cost and for some cars there could be a few grand to be made in the US. It's just the driver's wheel is on the wrong side.

24. drewmar

drewmar Rookie

Dec 8, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Drew
    What might a fully restored '63 GTO fetch today, do you think? Will we start seeing these cars push the 100M mark?

25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The last one sold mid July 2016 for $ 45 M.
    Factory certified. Deal done, car in Switzerland now.

Marcel Massini