waxing a white car - what's the point? | FerrariChat

waxing a white car - what's the point?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Crawford, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    My F-328 lives in the garage along with my wifes B-Reatta.

My BMW-328 is an outdoor car and is white. The trees are always dumping leaves, pollen and sap; and the birds use it as target practice.

I occasionally wash it although that's a pretty futile gesture. I applied some wax to it once a saw absolutely no difference to the white finish. This is a 99 and has the clear coat, so is there really any point in waxing this car????

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    It's the difference between a gloss white... or a few years down the road FLAT WHITE.

3. zach_300zxTT

zach_300zxTT Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Zach Lindsey
    Yes! Wax is not just a beauty-enhancer. The main purpose of the wax is to provide a "shield" between leaves, pollen, sap, and bird droppings and your paint.

Without the wax, all the sap and other harmful elements would have direct contact with the clearcoat and/or paint. So, in simple terms, yes you should keep your car waxed very well. I would suggest waxing at least once every three months. If you don't keep the car waxed, the paint will soon start to deteriote and will look oxidized/cloudy. I wax my car (1994 300zx Twin Turbo) every two months and I apply two coats at a time. The car is over ten years old and the paint is still remarkably intact. Without wax, it would have looked horrible years ago.

For further advice, you should seek an auto detailing website.

Hopefully I was of some help,
    -Zach Lindsey

4. Sniper

Sniper Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Hemet CA, 909
    Full Name:
    Madhav
    My 90 LS is pearl white and i can see a differance in the quality look of the paint after a wax. But the paint is much older than your 99 and its a pearl. Id keep up the waxing :)

5. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    Zach pretty much covered it.

Wax is a protective coating, not just for looks. Gotta maintain that paint just like everything else on the car.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Try some 3m on that sucker.