Water temp gauge intermittent- Sender? | FerrariChat

Water temp gauge intermittent- Sender?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 300man, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Hi Guys, help needed... '80 400i auto.

My water temp gauge has been intermittent for some time. It usually does its trick of going off to full cold just when you're sitting in traffic and all you can do is cross-reference with oil temp to get an idea of what goes on under the hood. I've recently taken the dash top off to get it re-trimmed, and I checked the connection behind the water guauge, all was ok, so now the next step is to test the wiring/ connection all the way to the sender. Trouble is, in the shop manual there's no mention of a sender, other than the fan thermocontactor.
    This one, I know, works ok, as the fans come on as they should, and the water temp, when I can read it , is correct. Is it used as both a sender and a contactor?
    I could be spending ages crawling over every electrical connection on the engine, but maybe one of you could point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eric

PS, lots of threads in 308 and GT4 , also Mondial on the subject, but none for this car!

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #2 markcF355, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The water temp sender is at the rear of the engine near the distributor.
    On the right head.

The wire may just be loose.

It's number 31 in the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    pretty fun to get your hand in there too!

4. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks guys, I could have looked a long time!
    I'll be investigating next time I have a moment. I'm hoping it is just a loose connection. This car has spent a lot of its life in storage, but the downside is that I've had a few sleeping relays and general electrical faults ( bad eaths and the like) . I'll keep you posted.

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle

The switch for your fans is completely separate and at the bottom of the radiator, back side.

Ken

6. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks to your info, I've managed to find the sender, it's not too difficult to get fingers in the area, as long as you work from the left hand side of the car. Grounded the wire but got no reading at the gauge, put all back together and traced the wire to the main loom. looks like there's already been some work done in this department. Now I'll have to disconnect individual parts and check which connector's faulty. It's gonna take some time. Only good news is, it's wintertime so I'm not too worried. Mind you, compared to you guys in Tx Ca etc, here in the UK it's ALWAYS winter. On the bright side though, the leather doesnt shrink quite so much!

Cheers

Eric