Water Pump bearing/front cover removal? | FerrariChat

Water Pump bearing/front cover removal?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Apr 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

I'm in the midst of a big job, this step has me stuck.

Pulled the impeller, no problems. Pulled 3,5,12,10,11 and now I can't seem to get 6 to come out of 9 (the bearing). Front cover is loose and moving, the bearing is not seized or rusted but there is a tight bond between the shaft and the bearing race. I don't want to lean on the chain too much, and even with a plastic wedge behind the water pump portion of the cover and a soft rubber mallet, I can't get any movement. My thought was to remove tension from the chain tensioner somehow, then maybe take the oil pump drive gear off and pull the inner number 9 along with 6 as it comes off? I wasn't necessarily going to change the chain and tensioner, was trying to do the front gasket and some new bearings (both 9's).

Thoughts? I'll update my transmission tooth post soon with details. This quickly turned into a "powercoat the frame, new clutch, repaint and new AC lines" job. I have parts everywhere at the moment. Beautiful refinished parts, but parts nonetheless.

Thanks all,

Cassidy

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You cannot remove # 6 without removing drive gear # 7. Even if you loosen the chain tensioner completely it will not let the chain come off the drive gear. Sure all the Fchat "experts" will tell you different.

3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Thank you for the pic, I do understand the chain won't come off. My problem now is that as I pull the cover, the inner bearing is moving forward, but the front one is firmly holding to the shaft. The cover should just slip off if I understand correctly. I have tried heat, rubber mallet to no luck. I may try to 3D print a small insert sleeve and try some form of press with it. Strange problem to have.

Thanks,

Cassidy

4. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    I heated around the cover where the outer bearing is, carefully, and used a back hammer, with nylon to protect the face of the cover. It took a while but the Cover came off and wasn't damaged. Keep shocking it around the shaft and keep it warm.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #5 vincenzo, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    “...can't seem to get 6 to come out of 9..”
    sounds like a song lyric...

does the shaft (6) not have a retaining collar machined in to transfer thrust loads to the rear bearing (9)?

Hence Todd’s comment.

i have not done this job before - no first hand experience. That said... i suspect you will need to drop the trans off the block and pull the gears/chain as an assembly.

Just thinking out loud....

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Cassidy, I think you will have more access when you drop the trans. You have to this anyway.

8. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    The Trans is across town, we got the new gears fitted this week and a cleaning like no other! Having the big shop tools makes all the difference.

Thanks for the tips folks, I’m printing a carbon fiber press adaptor on the 3D printer and I’ll try heating it again. I was worried about damage with MAP gas, probably just too timid. I think the combo will get it. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Got it. I 3D printed a sleeve that fit over the shaft and let me apply pressure right where there was a seized bond. Pressed right out.

Thought I'd share the file for anyone in the future.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4284532

Cheers, now back to the regularly schedule rebuild in my other thread.

raysur, peteficarra and turbo-joe like this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nice work, Cassidy!

c4b4the04 likes this.
  11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017