355 - Water oil heat exchanger | FerrariChat

355 Water oil heat exchanger

Discussion in '348/355' started by evo11, Apr 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Gentlemen, do you replace it every time with a belt service?
    Thanks a lot
    K

Lolwut likes this.
  2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    No
    But because it's a forum, I have no doubt that some one will say they change it every year :rolleyes:

Mike Morrissey and fboutlaw like this.
  3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    If it's not broken I'm not changing it.

MAD828 likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It’s much less likely to fail as the coolant change is enforced with the engine out service at a minimum. So the coolant doesn’t have as much time to break down and corrode the heat exchanger like in the 360. Leave it well alone if it’s not broken. Inspect coolant and gear oil at the service intervals and it should be fine. I replaced a known working heat exchanger as a preventative measure during engine out, with a brand new OEM Ferrari part only for it to fail right away. It was defective from new! Sometimes you really can kill these things with kindness.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  5. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Make sense, thanks guys !

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Just ordered one, they ain't cheap!!!

7. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Why ordered?

8. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mine failed (original part, circa 1995) last year and it sucked flushing gear oil out of the coolant system and coolant out of the gear box. This is what it will look like. If you have an original, I would get a new one on the next major.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  9. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    This is one part I’m almost tempted to delete. I wonder how much worse cold shifting would be with Redline MTL in the gearbox.

10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If mine fails I'm deleting it. $2k+ to replace it?!? And all it does is warm up the gearbox oil? No thanks.

11. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have to say, this hadn’t occurred to me before, but it’s not a bad idea at all. I live in a warm place and only use the car in summer.

I doubt I’ll have trouble warming the gearbox oil considering the radiated heat in the engine bay from the exhaust system, warm ambient temps etc. At the other end of the scale, I don’t track or race the car so I doubt I’ll overheat the oil, either.

I’ve just done the major on mine and the engine is back in, but I am going to try this at the next engine out. I’m already thinking about potential solutions...

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I changed mine at 20 years old and the original looks new
    Probably should have left it alone as it fits a little better than the upgraded one

13. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    I'm in the middle of a major right now and this is what mine looks like after removing the front boot. I've replaced the coolant every 2 years but only from the radiators. I'm replacing it as a precaution.

Image Unavailable, Please Login