Water in the Trunk? | FerrariChat

Water in the Trunk?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wingnut, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    After being caught in a downpour (first ever) in the Mondial T convertible, an inch of clear water was in the left rear pocket of the trunk. Top was up, no water anywhere else inside.
    Before I start hosing water on her, has anyone had a similar issue and cure? No moisture anywhere else in the trunk,
    just in that pocket on the left side. Had to pull the hard carpet up to get to all the water underneath on that side.
    No rust inside or out. Thanks

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    My car gets wet in the left side of trunk when I wash the car. I put towels in there now before I wash. Previous owner complained about it and paperwork says the shop found no source of the leak.

3. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    My mondial had a hinge that was rusted en moves verry difficult. This caused the weld connection on the car to become loose, leaving a crack in the metal. possible cause?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ronfrohock likes this.
  4. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    On the left side there is also the switch for the signal “trunk open”. This can cause also a leak.

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Bingo JB! Sho-nuff, a small crack in the hinge weld - sheet metal, left side. Small leak.

I took off the trunk this morning and both hinges were hard to move. WD'ed them but not much better, tried to punch out the hinge pin (taking off clip first) to grease, no luck, pin not moving out even with a pretty good hit.
    Soooo....
    Drilled a small 1/8 " hole in the center of the hinge (to the pin inside), about 1/8" deep, and WD'ed the hole. Moved hinge back & forth an it immediately moved freely!
    I plan now to dry/clean up the water / wd mess, goop the crack with a sealant, find a small screw or plug for the drilled hole, and cut the hard carpet corner (for easier access) and velcro it to stay put. Oil the hinge hole occasionally, check for water in corner under the velcro'ed hard carpet patch.
    BTW, no "trunk open" switch on the 1990 T model that I can find.

paulchua and ronfrohock like this.
  6. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    Also possible that the switch is for the alarm system I have in my mondial 8 QV.

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Guys I hate to say this but water in the trunk means that almost certainly the sound deadening under the fiberglass liner both vertical and horizontal will need removing as it will be saturated with water and will take months to dry out it ever...
    This will rot out your trunk floor for sure.
    To remove there are screws and pop rivets.
    I know this is not what you probably want to face but I thought you should know.
    If you have any questions please ask.
    All the best Bell

paulchua likes this.