Watchmaxx? | FerrariChat

Watchmaxx?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by HotShoe, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I wanted to get a Tag Heuer F1 chronograph for a daily work watch. In my search I found it on Watchmaxx for $400 less than others.

I know this is a grey market dealer but I thought the savings was enough to justify the risk.

Anyone has any experience and or thoughts on buying a watch from them?

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Can’t speak to Watchmaxx, but I have used Alan Marcus (another grey market dealer)for a Hamilton Ventura in the 90s. No issues. I’m told that Tags get faked a lot FWIW, so I’d wait to see if anyone else chimes in.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's all good....................... until you need service and you'll know where that $400 went.

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Understand but please correct me if I'm wrong...

The TAG authorized dealer warranty is only two years. A complete overhaul of this watch from the Tag site is $350. If by chance something went wrong within those two years the max I'd be out is $350 still leaving me plus $50 :) If it was a more expensive watch I'd no doubt go with an authorized dealer but at this lower price point the 25% savings seems to make sense.

I'd much prefer a Carrera but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing that day in and out in my line of work.

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It has to do with them refusing to service grey market watches ever. You're taking a risk but with an AP or Rolex, it's far greater due to the cost. TBT, if you try you'll be able to save some money buying from an AD..

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think you should clarify: warranty service.

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    AP won't ever service a grey market watch. They'll send it back broken.

JoeTSI likes this.
  8. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    A bit off topic.... How does AP know it is a grey market watch? How does it become a grey market watch? AP sells to a dealer, then the dealer dumps them cheap below what they are allowed to sell them for?

Glad I bought from an AD. ;):D

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's all about the the warranty card. Most dealers don't give them when they dump out the back for fear that the MFGR will pull the lines. Rolex and Breitling have been known to come back at dealers after 5 or more years if one of their "Shoppers" finds a watch on one of those sites. Rolex will even blackball customers for selling their own watches some times.

10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Interesting. So is that how Jomashop procures their watches? From ADs that are dumping them out the back?

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    A lot of their stuff is consigned to them but the owners keep them until they sell. They also have their own warranty of sorts.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmmmm.... I have sent watches to both AP and Rolex for out of warranty service. Never been refused and never been asked for a warranty card.

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Then they were registered as sold by an A/D. Did you buy them new?