Watch Winder Question | FerrariChat

Watch Winder Question

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by DocE, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocE

DocE Karting

Jul 27, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Name
    I have two automatic watches and often wear only one for long periods of time so one usually sits in a drawer. If I am not wearing one for several months at a time, should it be kept on a winder? I'm not concerned that it keep accurate time or date in between since I don't switch back and forth frequently. And since they need to be serviced every 4-5 years would it extend servicing intervals if it's not running during times I'm not wearing it or are they like F cars and best to be operated regularly to keep things in top order? Thanks!

D

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Better to keep them running IMO.

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    All of my automatics sit on a winder made by Orbita. They get serviced about every eight (8) years. IMO, a winder is a must-have for a man with a collection of automatic watches.

4. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1
    It keeps the gear oil from gumming up. This is debatable with some of the synthetic substances used.

5. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Actually, this is a religious argument -- there are those that swear you should keep them on a winder (stops the oils from jelling) and those that swear you shouldn't (prevents the clutch from wearing out).

Consensus seems to be either: A: do whatever you want, there is no real difference or B: leave them off the winder, but wind / wear them every few months.

Modern lubricants don't really seem to harden much, but probably best not to let sit idle for more than 7-8 months at a time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk