Watch Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

Watch Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tr0768, May 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Some time ago I advertised for inch wheels for my 400i. I have recieved several responses from England each suggesting they have a set of 16" wheels for 1100 pounds plus shipping. When I asked for photos of both sides of the wheels and caps, their response was exactly the same, "can't get the photos to go through to your email" Interesting different names and addresses but exactly the same responses.

I sent an email no photos, no money which they both wanted sent Western Union. Just saying, watch out the scammers abound. Since my last email I have had no further emails from them.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maerati spider
    2 many brass era cars.

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, Howard, that's useful advice. Asking only for Western Union payment is a red flag indicating a scammer for sure. There is absolutely no recourse as there would be with a credit card.

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    For amusement you might reply with photos of some other wheel asking for verification that ones offered match.
    There are folks who make a hobby of baiting these guys.

4. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...too good to be true bait...

painful to resist.

5. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Some time back I advertised for a "T" head motor for a brass era Indy car I have. I recieved a similar rersponse that a person from England had a motor such as I needed. I did ask for pictures of both sides of the motor. I also told this scammer I had friends that wanted like motors, and we were prepared to pay upwards of $250,000.00 each in cash via direct bank wire transfer.

The operative words were photos of both sides of the motor. This particular motor is a very rare and early part of American automotive history. As far as I know there are no internet pictures avalible.

This guy tried to keep me interested as I'm sure he was scouring the net for "T" head motor photos. I keep writing him offering cash incentives to find and sell me at the very least 12 motors. I'm sure he was salvating from both sides of his mouth just thinking of all that cash being electronicly transfered into his bank account.

We strung him along for some 6 months before finally telling him we had found another supplier in England and had just wired a cash deposit of 1.5 million US dollars and were awaiting shipping documents. Of course it was our little joke on a scammer that was out and out trying to get money from unsuspecting people.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 maqny brass era cars

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Do you have a 'National'?

7. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I do not own a National, it is one of the cars I would like to add to my collection. I have been close a couple of times, close but no cigar.

Do you know of one or have any parts for same?

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

8. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    #8 Cornbread, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    My Grandfather had a 1912 or 13 in his collection, as well as a bunch of parts from one or two others.

Didn't think I would run across reference to them here.

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Any family photos of Grampa's National? would love to look and see what it was he actually had

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

10. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #10 Fritz Ficke, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Is that a spare motor? I'm in need of a 4 cylinder motor as pictured.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

12. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #12 Fritz Ficke, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is not for sale, just fun brass era stuff. Pictures are free and fun. I like the big old cars. This friend has some of my favorite cars like this Royal Tourist. 570 cubic inch 4 cylinder ground shaker.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    #13 Cornbread, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
    I don't think so, but will look deep next month when I go see 96 year old grandma.
    I never saw the car, only heard how he wished he still had it. I believe he traded it to a guy in Spokane for a couple beat ex-bootlegger Packards and Hudsons in the early 1960's. He ran a still back in the day and had an affinty for such things.

14. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nothing better than the big bore Brass! I'm still in mourning because my friend sold his Olds Limited prototype. I loved that car, but my wallet and garage were too small for it. (He had a National factory racer too, but I never got to see it.) I'm sure Howard knows who I'm talking about.

One of these days I want to find a good big Brass to take my daughters to school in!

15. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    There are quite a few big brass cars in the Pacific North West. Depending on where you are I could put you in touch with car owners that might be able to take your daughter to school on say the last day or the 1st day of school. Most brass car guys are always looking for and excuse to get 'em out and go for a ride. I'm about 2 years away from completing my 1912 50 hp Indy car, and I would love to make that ride happen for your daughter.

I do know of the car you refer to. The sale was required due to a matter of economics. Also there were some questions regarding the pedigree of this car which reflected a sale price well below the anticipated mark. Who knows you might very well have been the buyer at the price it sold for. You can always find storage for another toy.

I find it imparative to have a secretive storage facility that even my wife(especially my wife) does not know about. I find this a safe haven for toys that I buy without permission from my her. This allows me the opportunity to sorta pave the way and break the news in a controlled manor. I have figured out if I buy a Ferrari or Maserati and give it to my wife for her birthday, I'm safe from the evil eye........................

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bringing one of my cars home thru Yosemeti we met a caravan of brass era cars it was magical......