washing your 400... | FerrariChat

washing your 400...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by koisokok, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    was told to me that i should put a towel down over the engine bay before washing my car. i guess it helps to prevent the water comming thru the vents to accumalte at the spark plugs. does anyone do this?? just wondering..

2. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yup. or make sure you blow out 4 5 6, 7 8 9 with compressed air.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. b3tech

b3tech Karting

Apr 17, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Boyd Bowdish
    I'm a go on this protocol

5. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    WHOA! Tell me more about this! The first I have heard of anything like this before...what if it rains??? Is this for just underhood cleaning?

James
    Austin

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    tell me about it...i always used a towel afterwards on the engine bay to dry it off..but never put two and two to put one in before i wash it..just another rookie maneuver. p.s i guess this is why you dont want to drive these nice cars in the rain???

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    rain is not necessarily a problem, but the plug wells can fill up when you've gallons of water hitting a stationary car.

8. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I've driven mine in very heavy rain a few times without any problems at all. The only problem was the wipers coping with the deluge, but not many cars could have handled that amount of rain.

Aidan

9. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I have never placed a towel or have done any thing to keep water out of the engine while washing and have never had an issue.
    I have had to blow out the water from the spark plug areas before starting the engine when I garden hosed off the engine.
    I drive mine in the rain, not a hiccup ever and when you drive slow through a puddle you get real neat looking steam up through that hood grill, alot of it!

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Go to Home Depot ...they sell sheet vynal from a roll by the foot..buy 5-6ft. and custom cut it and lay it over the entire engine compartment..I've done this for years and it's sooo simple and works great..Jacques..

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    RainX takes care of that, don't need wipers at all.