Was this "Your Fathers Oldsmobile"? | FerrariChat

Was this "Your Fathers Oldsmobile"?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tritone, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bet that one was a bit nose heavy. Eventually BOP went to an aluminum V8 for their mid-size cars. Rover bought the rights to it and the tooling eventually.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, the aluminum V-8 was developed in 1961 by Buick, in 3.5-liter form, for the new GM compacts, the Buick Special, the Olds F-85 and the Pontiac Tempest. Olds even developed a turbo version. In 1964 GM moved those cars up to mid-size and switched to engines like the one in the ad above. They found a buyer for the aluminum engine in Rover, and it was used in various British cars (including the original Range Rover) for some 30 years.

Oh, and the Australians got their hands on the engine as well, and a tuning house named Repco developed a 3-liter version for the Brabham F1 team, which won the world championship in 1966 and 1967! It's the only engine originating in America that ever won the F1 world championship. (The later "Fords" were all developed in the U.K.)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Mid-size, compact, all the same to me, big.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my mother had that exact car in 2 door version. bought it brand new. very reliable. lots of torque.

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Ahh yes the ole "lightweight cast iron". I'm surprised Boeing isn't looking into that for the 797.

Island Time likes this.
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And many years later Porsche got into the transplant act with the V-8-powered Mooney PFM....jsut about as successful too:cool:

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe the Porsche PFM was 6cyl Horz Opposed

9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips

This discussion brings back a scary memory of the late spring of 1965. After spending the 1964 fall and winter overhauling my motor after the Bridgehampton incident, I began actively exploring replacing the nine year old 2 liter Ferrari 500 motor with the lightweight BOP 3.5 liter motor. After locating one in a junkyard in southern Staten Island, I took lots of measurements to see what it would take to fit that motor and bell housing in my chassis.

On the morning of 16 June 1965 I was informed that in four days I was going to be sent to Tourane for an indeterminate period of time which turned out to be 375 days. By the way, Tourane is the old French name for DaNang. So much for plans to increase the horsepower of my old race car.

In retrospect it was a very fortunate turn of events as the car retained its Ferrari motor. As is often said "Timing is everything!"

Best regards,

Robert

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Love ya, man. Keep em coming.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    :eek: Old age & brain fade....all I'm gonna say..... o_O

jcurry likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Reminds me of the 3/4-scale P-51 Mustang I once saw fly with a 454 c.i. Chevy V-8. Looked like an airplane, sounded like a car!

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The car engine to airplane has never really worked well except maybe the Ford Model A in the Pietenpol. I flew Pete Bower's, that was an original ,and it worked quite well. That is until you looked out to the left when you pulled carb heat and got hitting the face with a chunk of ice. Really, a great flying little airplane, tho.

tritone and kylec like this.