Warrior/Spartan/Zombie/Mudder Runs | FerrariChat

Warrior/Spartan/Zombie/Mudder Runs

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by FarmerDave, Apr 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting trend that I'm surprised isn't getting more discussion here. These obstacle course mud runs are a booming trend, it seems to me to be fueled by the perfect storm of social media/internet and the move of our society toward a more sedentary lifestyle.

I did my first one this weekend, a local, off-brand for-charity one that was $30 to enter, they originally expected 300 participants, but added 200 more spots and still turned people away at the gate. It was 50/50, fit people and fat asses. I consider myself the latter. 500 people at 30 a head is a pretty outrageous turnout for a town of 100k and for being the first event like this within 200 miles.

It was a blast! I liked not knowing what obstacle was around the next corner, and helping short girls with nice butts over the walls, getting dirty after spending all week in the office under flourescent lights.... Brought a camera in a waterproof case and took some pics along the way. It's a photogenic activity which is why I think social media is a big factor in the rapid growth of these. Many of them attract thousands of participants.

Anyone else doing these?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I did Tough Mudder in Miami in March. It was a lot of fun! Hoping to do it again in Orlando/Tampa in November.

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I missed this one!!! I would love to do it when they come by again. A lot of my friends from crossfit did it and said it was a blast.

On my to do list.

4. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Did my first Warrior Dash last year and it was great. Building a team for a Tough Mudder and hope to do a year's worth of travelling following a Dash around the country.

5. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I did Tough Mudder Mt Snow a year ago this weekend. Was great. Didn't feel like 11mi on a ski mountain. I was in ok shape and trained about two weeks ahead of time and did just fine. Was the only one of my 7person team (men, women) who nailed the apexing monkeybars. Tougher than it seems.

6. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #6 alexm, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did a Tough Mudder only a couple of weekends ago (Sydney), loved it and will do again.

I was carrying a calf muscle injury into it from hockey so not as fit as I liked and starting to get twinges around the 15km mark (course end 20 km).. what finished me off was electrical zap at 17km mark couldn't use my legs and dragged myself out and hobbled the last 3 kms lol..

I still enjoyed it and will skip the one in 6 months and go MUCH more prepared for 12 months time..

Oh the jump into the water wasn't much fun either.. 15' drop doesn't look far but I balked twice before thinking "oh well".. only way forward is down lol..

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    You are more than welcome to join the Formally Fat Fookers when it returns to Miami next year.

If you have been doing boot camps or cross fit, you are already there.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My wife and I were training for the Tough Mudder 2 years ago when I ruptured my bicep tendon training for the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Pan Ams. It's on our "to do" list, but we haven't gotten around to prepping.

It will happen though - I love the idea of these!

9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Tough Mudder is headquartered around the corner from my apartment in Brooklyn, NY.

They enrolled their 1,000,000 contestant recently, so to celebrate they brought a dumpster (A LARGE garbage bin) across the street, popped in a vinyl liner, some ice, had a tanker truck fill it w water....stretched some barbed wire over the center to ensure total immersion and had about 75 of the office staff pop in...

Much fun. Much fun to watch, too...LOL

10. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The "ice enema" is a seriously chilling and semi-painful experience!

I was glad we had an unseasonably warm and sunny day for our event..

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've done a bunch of these. Last one I did, the Superhero, turned out to be a bad experience as I broke my ankle. While I will do more of these, I will also be on the lookout for potential safety issues.

12. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    on the coldest day of our winter here. Was still a blast. Do it with a group as it makes the whole thing that much more fun.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Agreed, doing it with a group, small or big, is the most fun experience.

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Doing a Tough Mudder this weekend at Michigan International Speedway.
    Anyone else doing this one?

JIM

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Did you get norovirus?

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 4re Nut, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    I did the Warrior Dash last October as a fundraiser for St. Jude Hospital; a few pics in this thread, http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/silver-subscribed-private-forum/374388-help-me-help-kids-warrior-dash-st-jude-hospital-fundraiser.html#post141816612.

Doing it as a fundraiser was extra motivation and after my race I was very grateful for the private shower and food tent...definitely the way to go, http://www.warriordash.com/get_involved.php.

My medal and bib are hanging in my exercise room as motivation and I hope to do the race this year too.

Can't go wrong when the motto is MUD. SWEAT. BEER. :D

17. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I was one of the fortunate ones who DID NOT get the Norovirus! Thank goodness!! I did get some weird rash on my calves. I think from straddling the hay bales and sliding off of them. (By this time I was cramping bigtime and had to have help up).

All in all it was a TON of fun!!!

JIM