Wanted: 308 euro cam or something - 1978 2V | FerrariChat

Wanted: 308 euro cam or something - 1978 2V

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dancia, Jan 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dancia

Dancia Rookie

May 15, 2015
    HI All,

Does anyone have any Euro cams or something suitable for better street performance?

I'm degreeing my Stock cams and feeling like now is the time to change.

I can't post in the classifieds. I assume because I am a rookie.

Thanks in advance

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hello and welcome...

You are correct, but the cams you have can be reprofiled without finding the older ones.
    With the addition of catalysts the North Amercan cams were softer.

I wish I could help with a vendor but basically they will modify your cams to the 1975 thru 1977 profile.
    The early cams were the same between the markets with only minor differences in actual cam timing.
    Four degrees on the exhaust side, from hazy memory..

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In addition to the actual peak lobe height the overall cam lobe shape can be improved from standards when our cars were newn

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Contact RAF at CAT cams in Belgium. They have a few profiles and it’s cheaper going direct (many vendors sell their cams.) about $1500 for a set.

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This is a great upgrade for a 78 and later 308. You will notice a significant/noticeable increase in power. Good luck with the search. I thought that Superformance in the UK carries performance cams for the 308. You may want to check them out.

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They sell the CAT cams. The other provider is Web cams in the US. Good reputation and lots of expertise and knowledge of these engines.

7. Dancia

Dancia Rookie

May 15, 2015
    Hi ,

Thanks for the responses.

I did not know about CAT Cams. It looks like a fairly substantial change to their fast road cam. Like 3.25mm or so intake lift. Hopefully that could be done without other head modifications or clearance problems. And maybe they would even have some carb jetting suggestions.

I know of Web Cams. They seem to have a milder regrind cam profile. Their experience would be valued for sure. I'm not up for floating valves and kissing pistons.

I saw Superperformance's listing but no specs. They look new. It ends up being about $2600 Canadian plus fright/duty/brokerage/fuel surcharge/PrimeMinister hair product and what have you. ( I hear that charge has also been significant in the states for the past 4 years)

Their is another company a bit closer to home that I have use with success before called Shadbolt Cams. They are in the Vancouver , BC area. They don't have a profile made but I'm sure they could make something happen. It would be a regrind probably similar to Webs Cam's profile. They accept Canadian dollars too and it's nice to support local.

I was feeling reluctant to go for a regrind because my cams appear to have been replaced with a recent engine rebuild. The base circles have absolutely no contact marks on them. Might be a good thing to keep originals for next owner to slow it down a bit if it's too much for them.

So... nobody just has a mint set in their garage that is getting in the way then? :)

Thanks for the help!

I'll try CAT Cams and Web Cams next week.

8. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
  9. Dancia

Dancia Rookie

May 15, 2015
  10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Webcam can reprofile to anything you want... Anything... They've been doing italian exotics for decades..

What ever you do, don't go for the P6 profile on a street driver... Shifts the power band to the top end and kills bottom end tq. Also requires specialized jetting.. great for a track engine if you can bump the CR though.

11. Dancia

Dancia Rookie

May 15, 2015
    Thanks SMG2.
    That's good to know. I should probably talk to all these suppliers to see what they have done and can do.
    I guess Webcam can spray weld to build up the lobes? Their listed profile looks like a regrind of the base circle.
    No ones numbers look similar to the Euro cam. But I guess they probably have learned a lot in 40-50 years.

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Track down that Brit Wheeler Dealers TV show video, Season 12 Episode 6, Datsun 240Z.

There's a 5 minute or so segment in this episode where they visit Web Cams in order to reprofile their Z's cam. The segment shows how they weld up the lobes and then grind to suit the new requested profile.

The person at Web Cams that they meet with is Laurie, whose reputation for such work is pretty well known (just do a search).

DM

smg2 likes this.
  13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yup!
    Laurie knows her cams, we use Web for profiles that I spec on our builds. I know Laurie can recommend some profiles that previous customers have used and are happy with, though the OP will have to determine cam timing events on his own.