Want to convert my RSV4 to a hyper sport tourer | FerrariChat

Want to convert my RSV4 to a hyper sport tourer

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Jon Von Bon, Jun 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I love touring. The Harley's are great but I need the ability for speed and sport handling. I have had my Aprilia RSV4 for several years and I have to say it is the best sport bike I have ever owned. I have tracked it for years and now I want to turn it into my distance , high speed land eater. First steps in my plan is to change up the pegs and controls and bars with a custom set up for long range. Next is buy a hard shell tour pack kit and fabricate the quick release mount setup.

Anyone ever done this? Suggestions?

2. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2 Jon Von Bon, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    Tuono upper triple clamp and bars for starters. The RSV4 is an awesome bike, but I'd just buy another bike for touring duty, as there are plenty of good choices that you can still haul ass on...but will be 1000 times more comfortable. Not to mention the luggage capacity, improved weather protection, and heated grips/seats. Just my 2 cents.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Post the question on AF1's Apriliaforum under the RSV4 section and you should get good responses.

5. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think you may be right. I'm going to look at more options.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You can get a 10 yr old used sport/tour for peanuts.
    Less than a conversion and better.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I'll offer a dissenting opinion. Stick with the bike you have. The tank range on those things is short enough that you should be stopping at least every 100 miles anyway. I would skip any sort of hard luggage as there are enough soft luggage options from kreiga and such to make this work.

Here are the must have's to make this work.
    1. some sort of throttle lock to occasionally give the right hand a break
    2. airhawk or something similar - put this on for the straight line drones and remove for the twisties
    3. some sort of soft luggage or a nice backpack - as stated, I like kriega stuff
    4. consider carrying a one liter MSR fuel bottle - range anxiety zaps the fun
    5. credit card - self explanatory

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Jun 4, 2016
    As awesome as the bike is now I would imagine that it's handling dynamics and ride will change dramatically when converted to a sport cruiser. So much so that you may not recognize it as the same bike, good or bad.

Rotated and reposted:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Gentlemen, all great points. I'm going to find an older purpose built sport tourer. I prefer high performance and comfort as I already have an FLH. I don't like multi stradas, dual purpose or the BMW sport tour types.
    I saw a triumph that was slightly customized and there is a Kawasaki super sport ( don't know which exactly yet ) that I have seen in passing that looked as though they would fit the bill.

I will start the search.

10. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Try a Ducati monster or a Superduke. I love my monster. I bought a 09 696 monster with 70 miles for 3500 bucks. I couldn't pass it up. Sounds good, fun to ride, decent power.

11. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I just spent a few days with a 2015 BMW S1000R, it is amazing, I can't say enough about it except that I'm thinking a trading my 2009 Ducati Monster 1100S in on one.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Jun 5, 2016
    I'm a bit confused... you say that you're going "to find an older purpose built sport tourer." But "I don't like... the BMW sport tour types."

Here's a Kawasaki 1400GTR (2008 or so), which is one of my favorite sport tourers.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, Jun 5, 2016
  14. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Nate, I already have an 06 800S2R monster in Germany. It's my European ride. You are right in saying the monsters are awesome.

15. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I love Buellies! Wheelbase is too short for me though and worried about part readiness since their demise.

16. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's more like it. There's another Kawie that is slightly more sporty that would fit the bill. I'm going to research.

17. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Odd enough, the venerable 'busa makes a good sport touring platform. Some helibars & soft luggage (or hard Beetlebags) work well. And, it's a Boosa!

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That sounds interesting. Got a pic?

19. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wade, thanks for those suggestions. After some research I have some serious choices. It looks like the older bikes are more my taste from a style perspective.

On the tour sport side:
    The FJ 1300
    The GTR Concourse
    Yes The BMW GS
    The ST 1300
    The people that own them seem to have a lot of miles on them without a long string of multiple owners so they obviously are THE tool to have for serious touring. Good range, super comfort with all the features. My problem is I like something a little more sporty.

On the Super sport touring front: (all bikes that I am looking at have tour packages like bar risers and hard bags)
    ZZ1200 ( This is the Kawasaki that I was originally interested in.)
    VFR 800 (gorgeous bike, concerned about power and range)
    Blackbird seems to be up there with the ZZR for me.

VFR is by far the best looking IMO. If the range is good I may pick this up.

20. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #20 ndpendant, Jun 13, 2016
    Ever think of a Ducati Multistrada? I just picked up a used 1100S model, 2008. Plenty of engine. Full ohlin suspension and brembo brakes. Can be a sport model, a tourer, or change the wheels and go off road in case you want. Nice looking bike and comfortable. A bit tall getting on but once there, its comfy.
    paul

21. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #22 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 14, 2016
    This is absolutely true. The bike is an incredible road machine and easy to modify for comfort. Here is mine with Corbin back rest pillion seat and lowered foot pegs and mirror extenders. I think they were Buell pegs. Worst thing about the bike is that if you use the engines power often you will wear out tires faster than a lessor powered machine and you need to stay on top of the chain maintenance too. This is not a problem for a true biker though.

These are ready to go. For more info try Ducati.ms a great forum for Ducs.

I am not familiar with this machine but looks good to me.

23. klp

klp Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Busa for the win. It's good to be king. These bikes belt out 80+ft lbs of torque at 3k revs, peak at around 100 or so. X way cruising at 100 feels like a parking lot.

Wind protection designed for 200mph. The 1st generation ( up to 07) have pretty weak brakes, neither generation have great suspenders. All is easily fixed with a little $ lol.

Wanna guess what I tour on?