Want to collect a Ducati, which one? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Want to collect a Ducati, which one?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by yelcab, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The part that’s most evident and what makes it vastly different than all of those other bikes is the incredibly light weight. You feel the weight all the time and everywhere even if you’re just pushing the bike around. It’s amazing.

my bike has a world superbike exhaust from one of the teams that I managed to get. It bumped up the mid range horsepower 18 hp on the dyno to make it ride more like my 1098R does. Without that it didn’t seem to have the mid range torque and power than I was used to from a typical big Ducati twin. But again, the lack of weight makes up for so much.

my one complaint is that the bike is so flipping fast. Even on the track, I hardly get to open it up all the way because it’s just flat out terrifying.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GT500JR

GT500JR Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    JR
    My 848 track bike was like that. You could lift and move it around the garage like it weighed nothing. The rsv4 and F4 were heavier but felt so much more stable. I’m 100% out of consensus on the F4 for the track, but I love it. My pretty pig.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328, G. Pepper and sherpa23 like this.
  3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That’s awesome. This is my 848 track bike. It was Chris Boy of MotoCorse Performance’s championship bike. I think he won formula twin and middleweight CCS titles on it.

Ignore the missing knee puck. I lost it on the straightaway. Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW likes this.
  4. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
  5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Don't think that I don't like the D16RR. I like them. I think they're super cool bikes. I'll add another one at some point and keep it, I'm sure. But I am pretty particular about which one it will be and it's a big deal to own the "right" one because I'll ride it a fair bit.

What I like about the 1199SL is that it's literally the best version of a WSBK homologation spec bike for the street that they could make if they didn't have to stay within the pricing rules or the production quantity rules. That's pretty awesome. It's more like the 996R and 998R were back in the day - just a whole new leap but the same homologation formula.

And not to get off topic but I feel like they lost the plot with the 1299SL. It's a very cool bike but it's not WSBK spec and more of a marketing exercise. It feels too contrived.

FerrariF50lover likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The stock market has to treat me really well before I bring that Superleggera home. Until then, has anyone owned an 851 and what was the riding experience like?

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I had an 1991 851 SP3. It was a very cool bike but I didn't like riding it because I thought that it was kind of clunky riding. I ended up selling it two years ago because I was stupid. I rode someone else's earlier this year and it felt nothing like my old one. It was smooth and elegant feeling and I really liked it. I think had I just spent more time with mine and really went through it and changed a couple of things, it might have been better. My 900 Supersport is a pretty evolved version of a stock one and it's a really nice bike to cruise through the mountains.

I do think that I will circle back around to buying a 851 again but it might be a Corsa track bike.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I spent years in CCS FL. Chris is a nice guy. We were Yamaha people though, no Ducs.

sherpa23 likes this.
  9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Riding with blinders!

I borrowed a speed triple 1050 once. I had a great time. It had character. I got off of it and swapped with a friend on an R6. Character turned into POS in 30 seconds. Wow, the 1050 tranny sucked, the clutch pull was unbearable, the handling 'quirky', all realizations after 30 seconds on a Jap bike that just worked properly ...

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Compared to the 916 gen it was quite clunky but really, all I needed to do was do a little tweaking to the suspension geometry and a few parts and much of that would have gone away. Well, that’s what I suspect anyway. As I said, I probably need to ride another Corsa version and see what’s what to know with more certainty.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Sherpa
    You are such a aficionado. What Ducatis do you now own?

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ha. I think that you have a funny way of spelling the word "hoarder." I am not very good at selling bikes as the ones I use I get very attached to. This is the list of what I have now.

Street bikes:
    1996 900SS/SP that's modified with a lot of rare Corse bits, including the correct 50mm Ohlins race spec forks and 916 Corse brakes. My touring bike.
    1998 916SPS - Not as pretty as the 1997 SPS but significant in that it has the improved homologation race engine and some other bits.
    2001 996R (US) - this is an unridden bike I bought from a guy who bought it new from the New Hampshire dealer in 2001. Still set up as delivered (race).
    2001 996R (Italian market) - This one has 12k miles on it and I ride it a ton.
    2002 998R - has 2500 miles on it and is great but I like the 996R more.
    2008 1098R - I bought it with 800 miles on it and I have about 2k on it now
    2014 1199 Superleggera - bought with 62 miles on it and I think it has 1600 or so now. It has a WSBK exhaust from one of the teams that transformed the bike.

Race bikes:
    1996 916 Corsa - ex FBF bike ridden to two AMA SBK victories by Alessandro Gramigni
    1999 748RS - built from a hodgepodge of RS and Corsa parts from FBF and Gio.Ca.Moto and with a 748R motor
    2001 748RS - ex Jeff Nash/AMS bike
    2001 748RS - ex Joe Kopp bike
    2008 848 Corse Evo - ex Chris Boy/MCP championship bike. Completely modified and built over from scratch with a ton of 1098RS parts.

greg328, GT500JR and NbyNW like this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So Sherpa,

What would a 1991 851 with 14,000 miles in very good shape be worth?

14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    OK, so I am throwing it out here. I am looking for a decent 851 or 888. Nothing pristine or zero miles, just something in the 20K miles or so. If one of you collectors want to let a bike like that go, please let me know.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Still in the hunt for a 851. There are three for sale and I think they all talk to each other because the prices are within $500 and don't really want to budge from the ask even though the Mecum sale was $7150 as above. I am thinking one of them is going to come close to what I am willing to offer.

I did buy a 907ie six weeks ago and spent a whole month cleaning it up to make it perfect. I am trying to think of a way to put it in the living room... but the thing about the Ducati is it looks so fast standing there in the garage. So...… my motorcycle insurance is just paid up, I'm going riding this sunday.

Oh, I'm also collecting old Ducati helmets.

sherpa23 likes this.
  17. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    It may be worth sending an email to this guy. Tell him what you are looking for and expectations of condition and price.

[email protected]

18. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Informative thread. Thanks!

Interested in 851/888 Corsa especially ones for sale. Roche and Polen history a plus.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hi. Only now seeing this. Kind of depends on if it’s a US strada or an SP2 and condition and deferred service is key. But call it 10k give or take.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
  21. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    2006 Paul Smart 1000
    Limited edition
    This one has ~1K miles.

mmyhorses likes this.
  22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks! Gonna add that to the dream lost. 20-25k not bad!

23. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Stupendous collection- I’ve had several but don’t have the room to keep them all-Panigale R, 1199SL and 1299SL. As I’ve aged they gotten ridden less and less and sold them all except for a 2011 Diavel- still comfortable for longer rides and blast overall. Almost pulled the trigger on a V4 SL but couldn’t justify the poor cost benefit as I’d probably just look at it taking up precious garage space and maybe a few short rides.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sherpa23 and greg328 like this.
  24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Yelcab,
    Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to pick just one interesting Ducati to keep. I've done the mental exercise on my own heard and just can't do it as they've made so many different and truly interesting bikes. I have a selection ranging from the early round case bevel drives to the later Supersports. I ride and enjoy them all.

'74 750 Sport - Cafe racer from the factory. Old school cool.
    '74 750 SS Greenframe - The bike that put Ducati on the map
    '02 998R - Limited production homologation special. IMO the top of the heap version of the prettiest bike ever made. Only 50 came into the US and you had to have a racing license to get one.
    '08 D16RR - Moto GP replica. A snarling, pissed off beast!
    '13 Panigale 1199 S ABS - Very smooth, very fast, superb electronics. Makes the above bikes seem like two-wheeled Model T's
    '18 Monster 1200R - Naked, comfortable, more upright riding position with handlebars instead of clipons. Great day cruiser and urban bike
    '20 V4 S Streetfighter (inbound) - TBD, but I think this could displace both the Panigale and the Monster in one shot.

If you're focused on the 851/888 my two cents would be to take your time and find a nice 888SPO (Sport Production Omologato). It's rare, the top of that heap, and has all the goodies like Ohlins shocks. I also think the 916 SPS or 996 SPS are wonderful early limited production homologation specials of the 916/996/998 design with all the goodies and are a great value currently.

NYC Fred likes this.
  25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Just a little follow up to an earlier post of mine:

I placed an order for the V4 Superleggera. After spending some time on the V4R, I think the V4SL is going to be a phenomenal bike.

As an aside, to make room, I am selling my unridden 2001 996R. I received a strong offer from someone in my Ducati club for the 996R that I ride but I think I want to sell the one I don’t ride instead.

Anyways, the V4 Superleggera looks to be quite insane and I’m pretty excited.