VW GTI vs. Mini Cooper S vs. Fiat 500 Abarth | Page 2 | FerrariChat

VW GTI vs. Mini Cooper S vs. Fiat 500 Abarth

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bobbyd, Jan 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    VW GTI is awesome and the dual clutch transmission is a ton of fun and works great!
    My brother has one, and he can't stop raving about it, he loves it. His 2000 Corvette almost never gets used any more since he got the GTI.

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  3. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just curious, how come no one has mentioned a Subaru WRX? Fun...and built like a Fisher-Price car (plasticky, but able to stand up to less-than-meticulous users). It has the added benefit of being a winter-friendly vehicle.

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Apparently, there will be two versions of the GTI. The Performance version gets 227hp, 10 more than the standard GTI. More importantly, it gets a mechanical LSD.

2013 VW Golf GTI /evo

(This is a UK magazine. I hope the Performance is offered in the US.)

5. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    #30 SloW8, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    The GTI is so much more car than the FIAT. I have a regular 500 and while I love it's quirky European character, I do not like the way that it pitches and rolls around due to its short wheelbase and narrow track.

It goes and stops okay in the snow but with its narrow track it kind of pinballs back and forth between tire tracks in the snow on the interstate. That can get scary.

I drove the Abarth and didn't fall in love. It wasn't as fast as I hoped it would be and in the end it is still the same 500, just faster. I guess after a year and 12,000 miles in the 500 it is starting to wear on me and the additional tweeks in the Abarth don't make enough difference.

My next DD will be a GTI or a WRX (Depending on what they do to it with the new body style coming down the pipe) I wish the GTI had more power than it does. It feels very solid though and has some nice German touches. I like the WRX but not sure what direction they are going to go. The current Subaru dog commercials rub me the wrong way but probably appeal to Subaru's core audience. So it is a wait and see. I have no experience with the Mini though the interiors on the early cars didn't seem to hold up very well.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Current GTI owner speaking--chip it. You can, just via programming changes, bump the HP and torque up by 50 (rough numbers). If you are willing to add $500 to $1000 in parts, you can get closer to a 100 increase in both. The problem is that the car really can't put the power down--wet road, forget about it. Even in the dry, my car will spin (not chirp, spin) the front tires accelerating hard at near freeway speeds (and I just have the soft wear). Fun, but also frustrating at the same time.

7. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Saying that a GTI is better than an Abarth because you've driven a regular 500 is like me saying that the Abarth is better because I've driven a Golf TDi.

8. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    If you are talking to me...

While my car is a regular 500, I have driven the Abarth enough to know I don't love it as much as I wanted to. Maybe I am spoiled by the other cars I drive and my expectations were too high?

I have driven Golf, TDI and GTI variants of the VW. The VW is a real car. The FIAT is a great deal of fun but more of a novelty.

My 500 brought me a lot of enjoyment for the first year but now my eyes are wandering. For me, the Abarth is a hoot but it can't overcome the limitations that are inherent in the 500 platform.

9. commonsense

commonsense Rookie

Apr 30, 2013
    I've bought 18 new cars in the last 13 years, including a 600 hp 2008 Dodge Viper, Turbo 550 Porsche Replica (faster than the Viper), two Mitsubishi Evo's, etc. The Fiat Abarth is the most fun of any of them. Just starting it up and listening to the engine is a thrill. Going to the grocery store is like competing at Monaco. OK, it's not the fastest thing in the world but it does stick like glue around corners. The optional leather interior puts an Audi to shame. I got the forged wheels with Pirelli PZero Nero summer tires. And the huge sunroof. Shifts like butter and goes 133 mph. You can stay with almost anyone on a back country road. This is just a great, great car and 100 times better than my wife's Mini Cooper S convertible or a GTI which I test drove. Heck, a Mazdaspeed 3 or new Ford Focus ST is lightyears better than the GTI. Just because the idiot magazines fall all over themselves for anything German, don't be fooled. The GTI is just a decent handling economy car. The Fiat Abarth is a junior Ferrari 458. Don't believe me? Go drive one......

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hear, hear!

Welcome to Fchat!

–500 Sport owner, future Abarth owner

11. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I haven't read through all the posts and perhaps someone has posted this, but what about a Mini Countryman S?