VW Diesel emissions fraud. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

VW Diesel emissions fraud.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by red27, Sep 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
  2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
  3. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
  4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Thank you for that interesting update.
    The Google translation certainly didn't make it clear, was the whistleblower identified?

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #55 ypsilon, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    I don't think that the main issue ;)

Report doesn't mention the whistleblower being identified as such (whistleblower is only described as the "automotive supplier"), is says the whistleblower notified the responsible EU Commission. Then due to lack of action taken by the EU, frustrated EU employees notified the US Environmental Originization ICCT.

The report doesn't mention whether the whistleblower was done officially by said supplier or it being a "one man job", an individual acting from within the supplier so to speak.

But earlier reports said the automotive supplier (Bosch??) warned VW not to mis/ab -use their software for cheating/fraudulent pruposes. I can imagine when this specific supplier found out VW did, they warned the EU out of fear being draged into a fraud. But that's speculation of my part.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    are you going to take the offer from VW for $500 Visa card/$500 parts and service credit?

as I understand it, taking it doesn't waive future claims or litigation.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Most likely. I need to do some more digging on how taking it will impact a future settlement, buy back, etc..

When they first announced the program there were very few details. In fact, for the first day or 2 you could sign up for the program, but there were no terms posted online anywhere. I have been waiting to see what the solution is for the EPA before I did anything.

If I really can participate in the goodwill program and it won't impact anything else down the line then I will do it.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have heard others say that taking the goodwill package won't prevent you from future benefits...but I haven't seen it written anywhere by VW. Is this documented anywhere?

9. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I certainly don't have an original source, but I did hear that reported on the news.

10. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I got an email from VW saying specifically that. My car is a 2015 TDI wagon. I am happy: can get the bike rack I wanted for free with the dealer voucher and $500 towards Xmas gifts with the Visa. Gotta say i also love the car and will be keeping it so not really bothered about all the emissions drama.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Got my letter from Audi, it clearly states in the letter this:

I hope that clears it up. I think people aren't reading the back of their letters.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    For whatever reason i have never gotten a letter or anything from VW. Shortly after I posted that I went back on the VWDielselinfo website and they added the language stating that it doesn't prevent you from seeking further damages.

I signed up for the good will program about 2 weeks ago. Will post here when I get it.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Had an interesting observation recently that is probably related.

Took our ML350 Bluetec in for a major service at the dealer, and had a gas loaner ML. In the past the service intervals have been 10,000 miles once reset. Noticed this time it was 9,000.

The ML has a seven gallon AdBlue tank that is designed to last the service interval without needing to replenish. Could it be that in light of the VAG debacle, Mercedes issued a secret software update to squirt a little more AdBlue into the exhaust, just to make sure they are not caught out as well? Using it more quickly would require a shorter service interval to ensure customers are not then complaining about the AdBlue tank being empty early.

Haven't had the car out on a long trip since to see if fuel mileage has been affected, although my wife commented it didn't seem as peppy as she remembered, she had the gas ML for over a week. Interesting.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks, I'll be interested in hearing about the experience.

I plan on doing it eventually.

Very interesting thought.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I figure the dealer credit is paying for the next year of service on the car, and the Visa gift card is going to cover my Xmas shopping this year. I see no downside to doing it.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The VW 4 cylinder TDI engines do not have urea injection

17. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm aware of that, it was more an observation that other manufacturers could be covering their butts as well.

When news of this scandal broke, you know every other manufacturer double-checked exactly how their emissions compliance was achieved as they would expect to be also under additional scrutiny.

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the Passat and Toureag use Adblue, which is sorta similar-isa.

I think you're on to something. probably more a precaution, but who knows. I assume BMW and Mercedes are sweating bullets...

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh of course. That $500 will go a long ways.

I have been thinking since it seems like the A3 was initially going to be left out of the goodwill campaign, it makes me wonder if the A3 may not have necessarily been affected by all of this. It seems strange.

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Audi Board of Management Member Ulrich Hackenberg Steps Down

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Finally got my goodwill package in the mail from VW. Now I need to go to a dealer to activate it. I wonder what that conversation will be like.

Ironically I also got a marketing letter from the dealer where I bought the car telling me they have lots of customers looking for a car like mine and I should come trade it in...right

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Actually that's just the standard phone call.

I got one last year trying to get me to upgrade to a new A3. I told them no way am I going to go from a hatchback to small sedan.

I am looking forward to your experience.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Oddly enough one of my best friends has a TDI Toureg and recieved his car package...

Tried to enroll his car. They said it wasn't eligible over the automated system.

He made a phone call and they confirmed his car was eligible for the credit and they had no idea why the system wouldn't accept his car/vin.

GREAT customer service so far... Talk about frustrating. Luckily my friend is very cool headed and was only annoyed by it.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Stories have been popping up about VW presenting a plan today to either compensate owners $5K and fix the cars, or buy the cars back. I haven't seen anything official, but I am really hoping to finally get some resolution to this issue.

25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I still fail to see a problem though. My car works perfectly.

Want to send me $5K for no reason the okay, but I still plan on buying another Audi.