VW Diesel emissions fraud. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

VW Diesel emissions fraud.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by red27, Sep 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i dont have a TDI but if i did i wouldnt take it back in....

2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Good article. Seems a continous theme;

The world is still waiting for compensation for the damage some US investment banks (as instigators and main players) and the US Government itself (for dismantling it's own regulatory system and bad supervision) caused with the biggest financial turmoil known to man.

And in the meantime Europe is letting it all happen, as always.

3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    or the people that borrowed all that money to pay it back....

4. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I hate to see VW or any carmaker in this situation. We're a little short on facts at this stage, but VW has already taken a massive hit in market value.

As to the cars, I drove a Passat diesel on a road trip in Europe a few weeks ago. Great car, balky shifter. Fuel consumption about 5.5 L per 100 km.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The group that found the issue with the VW also tested a BMW x5 at the same time and it's emissions were as advertised. It appears it's just VW at this point.

6. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Does this also affect the Audi TDI?

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think we're so far past the point of diminishing returns that's its not even funny. Like any government institution the EPA will never say "ok we've done a great job, we are now just going to keep everything as is". Instead they have to keep justifying their jobs, money, and power by having ever increasing regulations. I remember when things was so bad, bad air, Lake Erie was practically a dead lake etc. I don't want to go back to that but how about keeping things as they are for a while?

8. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Same hardware, same software.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It is only the 2.0 TDI motor. I have only heard the A3 mentioned thus far.

10. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Thanks! My dad has an A8 TDI, so he should be fine.

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    That's not clear yet.

12. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    this whole thing is pretty much BS. The test conditions were specified and VW came up with a way of getting better results in these conditions. If authorities hadn't been so ignorant this would never have happened. The same kind of thing is going on in every business where energy consumption is a selling point. Just look at freezers tested according to the ISO standards. If you don't open the door for some time the freezer will enter a low-energy mode, something which is very unlikely to happen in normal use and which may, after some time, lead to functionality issues (due to ice buildup) but which is allowed for by the test standards. VW shouldn't be blamed, those who designed the tests and those who ignorantly reward good test results should be.

13. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Disagree completely.

What you describe is pretty much standard practice as you say. Most people realise that the tests are not really representative of normal conditions. But There is al least a level playing field which provides a comparison between different manufacturers, using the same test.

What VW did was completely different. They used software to deduce when the car is being tested and switch to a different set of EFI maps which are specifically designed to defeat the test. This is not the same as designing to get good results in test conditions. Its designing to blatantly fake the test results.

This situation is getting messier by the day. Its not actually in the interests of customers to return their cars because they will end up with a car which uses more fuel and is slower, but the German authorities have stated that the recall must be compulsory, like a safety recall! This will seriously reduce the resale values and many customers will therefore seek redress against VW for that.

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    ??

Which people, borrowed what money ??

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    all the people that borrowed money from the banks at records low rates and walked away.

16. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Only the 2.0TDIs are involved. I would think that the rest of VW's diesels have already been tested for the emissions defeating devices, but there's no news about that so I think owners of non-2.0TDI diesel VW products are fine.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    In case anyone is wondering what has happened to values of the cars that are out there now.

I went and looked at a BMW 335 over the weekend. I asked to trade in my 2011 VW Jetta TDI.. I was told No. The dealer was instructed by corporate not to take any of the effected cars in on trade, even if that meant sacrificing a sale.

I took the car to Carmax and they offered $6K for the car. KBB still shows as $11K trade in value on it. Guess I will be keeping it..

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    http://www.autonews.com/article/20151020/COPY01/310209987/vw-diesel-owners-in-u-s-face-lost-value-and-uncertainty

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Florida wisely gave up emission checks a couple of decades ago. And our air is great.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Actually it is.

The fraud has only taken place on the 2.0L cars. Not the others.. Basicially if you have a car that requires DEF or add blue or what ever brand they want to call it... you are fine. Its the mysterious lack of those items on these cars is what gave the goose away.

Honda reportedly threw their hands up in the air on figuring out how VW was able to build a 2.0 liter diesel without DEF and still pass emissions. Say what you want about Honda, but virtually no one in the world knows small combustion engines like Honda. They were essentially saying if we can't do it and they can we should just close our doors. They clearly have magic... well.. it turns out... they just had sneaky software magic! LOL

21. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    I remember my 03 tdi wagon MSRP sticker saying it was a 9 ON THE 1-10 polluter scale that was printed on it. Sold that car last year with 302k on it.

22. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    3.0 ltr tdi's of VW (Porsche and Audi) manipulated as well:

VW-Abgasaffäre: Auch Porsche von Manipulationen betroffen - SPIEGEL ONLINE

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby