Visiting Toronto for the first time | FerrariChat

Visiting Toronto for the first time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by miketuason, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Arriving on the 29th to the 4th, besides niagara Falls what other main attractions are there also any car show going on during those time? Thank you.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hey Mike welcome to Toronto and I hope you have a great time. A few places to consider:

- Go visit the CN Tower. Your best value is to go to the revolving restaurant at the top. With your meal you get your elevator ride up and down which is a significant savings and makes the meal a reasonable price.

- The FIAT club has a monthly get together and Tuesday May 1st is the first one of the year. Around 7pm @ La Paloma Ice Cream and Cafe parking lot. 200 Windflower Gate, Woodbridge, Ontario (just north of Toronto). This is not just FIAT's and all sorts of Italian cars come out.

- Ferrari of Ontario is worth a visit and is within a mile of the FIAT Club Meeting place.

I'm sure others will chime in but that is what I come up with for now.

myronx19 likes this.
  3. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! Thanks Rob! Since my wife and son loves to eat, we will try the revolving restaurant and I will definitely try to make it the 1st at the Fiat Club monthly get together if wifey allows me. Thanks for the great recommendations .

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you are travelling with your wife and son then there are some other considerations for you:

- At the base of the CN Tower is the Sky Dome (now called the Rogers Center but I still call it by its original name) where our MLB team The Blue Jays play. Tickets are normally pretty cheap and if your son likes baseball then that could be an option.

- Next to the Sky Dome is the Ripley's Aquarium. I've never been but have been told it is good although admission is not cheap.

- Downtown we have a pretty nice city hall and just up the road are the government buildings in Queen's Park which is worth at least driving through.

- If the weather is nice take the family to High Park (just west of the city center) which has an abundance of walking trails and things to see. It is a public park and free.

- Lastly in the east end of the city is the Ontario Science Center which boasts a great Omnimax Theater. Great way to spend an afternoon and there are lots of interactive displays that kids love.

As for the car meet, the gelato from La Paloma is great and there are adjacent shops that can keep your wife occupied for an hour or two while you and your son check out the cars :)

myronx19 likes this.
  5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Niagara Falls is about 1.5hrs away from Toronto.

If you are staying In Toronto , the list above from Nuvolari is on point. I would only add the ROM ( Royal Ontario Museum ) which is walking distance from Yorkville. Yorkville is full of shops, restaurants and a great day hang out. And jsut north of Yorkville , a 5 minute Uber drive you should visit Casa Loma and do the tour of the this massive estate. It also has one of the most exclusive restaurants right now

http://www.bluebloodsteakhouse.com/

Make sure your credit card has a zero balance .... it’s beyond expensive.

Though , if you are looking for something high end , I also recommend harbour 60 ...it’s within walking distance of the Rogers centre at the foot lakeshore

http://harbour60.com/

Have fun and enjoy your stay !

6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you so much fellas! So many place to go to and little time to do it:(
    But all great suggestions. We’re going to have to manage our time to see
    Most of it.

7. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    It's a lot of fun - it's not just Fiat of course, all Italian cars are welcome (and a lot of fchat forum members go to the event). Weather permitting.

Here's a little taste of what shows up, and while you're there - California Sandwiches has great veal on a bun, and La Paloma has great gelato :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myronsamila/sets/72157632566530859

miketuason likes this.
  8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! Lots of great pics on that site, thanks for sharing. I really do wish I can attend to it.

myronx19 likes this.
  9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I was going to say try California Sandwiches while at the show... Excellent veal on a bun. One of the few things I crave here in BC, is those sandwiches in Toronto!

myronx19 likes this.
  10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For the wife I would also add the Eaton's Centre.

She may need a full day for that.

11. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Oh Id recommend California Sandwiches for lunch even if you don't go to the car show. Their Little Italy location is the original and best in my opinion.......

myronx19 likes this.
  12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I would have to disagree w/ the other posters. The touristy things aren't really that good in Toronto and the CN Tower restaurant is overpriced and food isn't that great. The views are experience are special, though. The best steakhouse would have to be Jacobs and Co. Eaton Centre is too busy and crowded and it is better to shop in Yorkville. Also good for car spotting. You should try Buca, Terroni, momofuku, Fring's, Pick 6ix, Joso's, Sotto Sotto. You can also visit the local dealerships, RR, Bentley, Lambo, Ferrari Maserati, McLaren, Porsche, Aston Martin.

13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    A few old fashioned Toronto ideas: Old style Steak House, Bardi's in the financial district. Get the garlic cheese bread as a starter. Harbourfront, take the Ferry Boat to Wards Island, take a walk around the old small cottage homes area, and then the Boardwalk. Royal Ontario Museum, pretty interesting dinosuar exhibits, among other cultural displays. Get the Chicken Sandwich and a pint of Guinness across the Bloor street from the ROM at the Museum Tavern.

14. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok we arrived Wed around 1:00pm And checked in at Marriott Hotel on Bay St. which like next door to Eaton Center. Walked around and through Eaton Center then after considering all of your great suggestions about steakhouse, we ended up eating at HY’s Steakhouse on Adelaide St. and I must say, it’s the best Steakhouse I’ve ever been to and I have been to many many Steakhouse, the steak I oredered (Ribeye) is top notch A1 Quality and the service is one of the best I have experienced. So after we ate, we walked to the CN Tower and went up to view the gorgeous city of Toronto, after that on the way back to the hotel, me and my son’s eyes grew so large when we saw ACC stadium so we hurried up and walked there and went straight to the ACC box office and bought three Raptors ticket the Game two of the playoffs. So now. Thursday morning, walked over to Eaton Center again for breakfast then walked around Chinatown then we walked down to the Harbour front to take the Ferry but it started to rain a little so we ended not going.we had a little time to spare before the game so we went to the underground mall under the Union station bought lots of souvenirs and finally went to the game, we enjoyed the game so much except the Raptors lost. :(

Anyway, Thank you all for all your suggestions and recommendations as there are so many to choose from. While we were walking, we saw Momofuku, Sotto Sotto, Bardis Steakhouse, and many other steakhouses. Too bad we didn’t have enough time to see the Ferrari dealership or any car related places. But, I must say Toronto is overwhelming and it’s a”must” come back for us, again, thank you all:)

Dolcevita, of2worlds, Andial and 3 others like this.
  15. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Glad you had a good time... Hy's was founded here out west.... Its been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Good choice. I've only been to the Vancouver location, but the steaks have always been excellent.

miketuason likes this.
  16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Great to hear that you and your family had a good time Mike. Don't feel bad about the Raptors loosing; it is the full 'Toronto' experience with most of our professional sports teams :)

Awesome to hear you also got up the CN Tower. The view of Toronto from there is really nice and watching the planes take off and land below you at the island airport is really cool. The waterfront was much more beautiful 20 years ago but they rammed the whole lakeside with as many condos as they could fit and regrettably it ruined the look of the city :(

miketuason and myronx19 like this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I love the ambience at Hys.
    Not sure the steak is better than the Keg, and certainly not better than Ruth’s Chris.
    la Castile also does a pretty nice steak in the west end...the ambience is, however a personal preference (some might think it’s dated/tacky).

max930 and miketuason like this.
  18. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I grew up in Vancouver, so grew up with the Keg. For an Outback level steakhouse they are pretty good. Hy's is better. I'm a fan of Ruth's in Toronto, its good there. A little different then the American chains. I went to school in Toronto and lived there 7 years. My friend is a huge fan of la Castile, 99% of the time going out for dinner was there. The ambiance is dated, but the food is very good, at least when I ate there.

19. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Going back again next week to Vancouver/Richmond area for ten days. Anything happening while I’m there?
    Also, is there any 308 owner in the area? Thanks in advance.

20. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Check out the Sea to Sky highway... careful with your speed in BC... 40km/h and over and you get an automatic roadside license suspension for 7 days I believe. Vehicle gets impounded too.

21. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Really? Wow! But I’m just visiting from California and rented a car at AVIS from the Vancouver BC Airport. Of course I will be careful but would they still suspend my CA license and impound the rental car if I get pull over?

22. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Yes they would...... just be careful.

23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok thanks for the info.

24. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Yes, they'll confiscate a rental and suspend your license. Its still a fun highway to cruise. Cops here seem to allow 10 km/h's over the posted limit on highways here. Since getting my license in 1988, I've never had a speeding ticket here. I mostly follow the 10 over rule. You should check out our Ferrari dealer.