visiting maui soon, best restaurant in | FerrariChat

visiting maui soon, best restaurant in

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Edward 96GTS, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    #1 Edward 96GTS, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    la haina and kaanapaali area. been to mamas, very very good, but a bit of a drive.
    how are the restaurants in the ritz carlton?
    tia

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    We loved Hula Grill, Duke's, Leilani's - I think they're all owned by the same company. But they're all different. Leilani's was probably our favorite

54greg likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    thanks, we will check them out!

4. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Make reservations...we got there just before 5 when they open with no reservations and got seated at 5. But after that you will need a reservation for sure. Mai Tai's at Hula Grill are the best!! Duke's is supposed to be the same recipe, but tastes a little different. Food at Leilani's was probably our favorite of all three. Great atmosphere because you sit on the 2nd floor and can get a great view if you sit by the railing. Duke's and Hula Grill are 1st floor, so the view can be obstructed ... eh, who cares! It's MAUI!!!! Hoping to live there in less than 12 years!!

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The Ritz rocks - absolutely one of the best places I've ever stayed. The concierge service was second to none, 100% recommended.

My wife and I honeymooned at the Grand Wailea 20 years ago, I think the Ritz blows that property away.

Sansei is near the property (walking distance) - I recommend it. Of course, if you want scenery, Mama's is unbeatable (but it's a drive)!

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 on the ritz; especially if you go through Amex. Paia fish market is my favorite restaurant in Maui. It's close to mamas- so it's a drive from kapalua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi,
    Just returned from Maui, and had a couple of really excellent meals in Fleetwood's on Front St.
    Can recomend the Beef Wellington and the Pork Chops with red cabbage and apple sauce!
    Got lucky and walked into a book signing with Mick himself , which obviously made the visit extra special. Great cocktail bar and live music , also.
    BR,
    Jez

8. lowmiler

lowmiler Karting

Aug 9, 2010
    Went to Maui recently for 10 days. Fleetwood's was by far the WORST dining experience we had on the island. From the attitude when you first walk in to the average food and service.

Second worst was Bubba Gump. Still not sure how I let wifey talk me into going there.

Ironically the best food we had on the island after many many locals recommended it, was Shark-Pit-Maui

Shark Pit Maui - Lahaina, HI | Yelp

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Roy's...always great.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    everything in lahaina is mediocre. always hit or miss. skip ruths cris steakhouse. skip roys.
    mamas is tops along with the general store.
    going back this summer, will try the ritz and plantation house.
    tried a place that was on diners, driveins etc, it too was soso.
    suprisingly difficult to find great food.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  12. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My wife and I ate at Mama's Fish House when we were there a few months ago. It was excellent.

13. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I have a meeting in Maui every year at the Ritz... if the meeting wasn't there, I probably wouldn't stay at the Ritz but that's personal preference. It is an extremely windy side of the island and I get annoyed that there are no umbrellas or otherwise covered areas around the pool, unless you want to buck up and pay for a cabana. But I digress....

In terms of food, I agree that Mama's is very tasty though as others point out, a bit of a haul...awesome food and fantastic venue though. In or around Lahaina, I like Gerard's, Lahaina Grill and Star Noodle. Definitely hit Star Noodle but go early b/c it is a small place that gets crowded quickly. Pacific'O is often cited as great place in town but I've found it to be hit or miss...some good things on the menu, some not so much. Around Kapalua, Merriman's is ok as is the Plantation House but I've never walked out of either saying "wow, that was fantastic"...I'd maybe characterize them as solid but not anything outstanding.

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Mama's - high end
    Paia Fish Market north side or Pita Paradise south side (2 locations, Wailea or Kihei) affordable and excellent lamb gyro's!

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Another for Mama's - great food, great scenery!

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Can't deny Mama's as being fantastic. :D We stay in Kihei, and found 5 Palms restaurant 5palms at the sound end of Kihei, just before Wailea.

It gets top ratings from all the review sites, has a gorgeous location on the beach, a fantastic happy hour, and really GREAT food. Not cheap, but neither is Mama's ;) It's definitely worth a visit.

17. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    After Mamas......Da kitchen. They have a couple of locations.

54greg likes this.
  18. Zero Cool

Zero Cool Rookie

May 6, 2014
    lahaina grill was a favorite of ours

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Im writing this from a conference room at the grand wailea(Business trip). This is my sixth time in maui and the wailea side of the island is the place to stay. Constant sunshine while the rest of the island is dealing with rain. There are two mountains/volcanoes blocking all the weather. Plus there's less wind too.

Plenty of good restaurants in the hotel and at the four seasons next door.

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    QFT

That and because the weather is the most like Kona. ;) :)

22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oh, and BTW, fixed it for ya! :D

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    haha. not much of a blizzard 6-8" of snow hardly qualifies as a blizzard though. From what I was told it was all hype and a huge bust.

24. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Reviving this thread. Heading to Maui with the family in February. Have reservations at Sansei, Monkeypod Kitchen, and The Mill House. Could not get dinner reservations at Mamas Fishhouse, so going there for lunch. Any other good recommendations that is not very touristy or inside a resort/hotel? Thanks in advance!

25. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I like Gerard's in Lahaina. I also have always liked Longhi's in Lahaina, although its reviews recently have not been that good. I have also enjoyed Cheeseburgers in Paradise for casual dining, although more for the view than the food. Again, its recent reviews have not been great. I hope you have a great time on Maui!

ridege55 likes this.