Vision getting bad | FerrariChat

Vision getting bad

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bocaf430, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    49 years old. Eye vision getting bad.... Years back was told I have astigmatism, anyone here get the lasik surgery that had astigmatism? Good. Bad results? I don't want to wear glasses..

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    No here has had lasik surgery? Find that hard to believe

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I wear mostly contacts and fine with them. Been wearing them for over 20 years now. The lenses over the last 5 to 10 years, have become very comfortable. Mine are leave in for up to 30 days. I don't notice them in. I've considered the surgery, the risks though out way the rewards. I do know four people that have had surgery, three are very happy and one has dry eye problems, etc. Id consider contacts first. See if you can live with them. They are much clearer then glasses. If you don't like them do the surgery.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm 47 and mine is going too. In fact, I'll mark 2015 as the year that I finally started breaking down. Eyesight and noticeable aches / pains...getting old sucks.

5. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    I had lasik back over 20 years ago in the early days (when it cost $5K) to correct severe nearsightedness and astigmatism. Because of the severity, for me, the procedure was "out of bounds" (right term?), meaning my eyes were not within recommended limits for the procedure.

While the result was less than 20/20, it was a dramatic improvement. Over the years my vision continued to change, and I wear glasses at times (I think there must be a law that says restaurant bills must be no larger than 4 point type and printed in no greater than 30% opacity!)

The worst result was in night vision -- when driving, the headlights of oncoming cars appeared as if they were being viewed through a rain splattered windshield. Not so bad now for some reason.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

6. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I am 49 also and have mild astigmatism in both eyes. A couple of years ago my vision took a turn for the worse in a short period. Got the eye exam, glasses, etc. A couple of months later I go for my bp checkup. Doctor says bp is high and adds an additional bp med to my regimen. Vision goes back to normal. I now own a $400 plus titanium framed paperweight. Get your bp checked first.

7. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I also take meds for high bp. Parents both wear glasses now that they are older.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    ? :confused:

Did you not see the link that James provided in post #2? If not, then you most definitely need something fixed. ;)

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I saw it but can not open it for some reason...

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've had a severe astigmatism all my life, got my first glasses at 16 and need a new script every couple or three years. Back 20 years ago they didn't have lasers good enough for a strong astigmatism, or so I was told. They may now. But at this point glasses are so much a part of me I don't really consider it anymore. I do know 1st hand one fellow who had a botched Lasik procedure, has one corrected eye and one permanently not, has to wear glasses anyway.

11. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can't access it because it's in a subscriber's only forum.

I am a longtime contact lens wearer who continues to put off Lasik surgery because I am still too leery of the procedure. I haven't thought about it in awhile though and I may give it another look.

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I had Lasik in the late 90's, best $ I ever spent.

13. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I got Lasik about 10-12 years ago - best thing I ever did. Took about a week for the recovery and all of the side effects to go away but once they did - I had x-ray vision. Starting to get to the point now that my Dr. warned me about - i.e., eventually, I'll need reading glasses. If I get up close on something, like working on a part underneath a car - I'll notice that it goes all blurry and I can't read the markings.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    (late to the game)

LASIK, while very good, isn't a cure-all. Your eyes are "getting bad". Bad how? reading, computer, driving?

15. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    sounds like you had hypertensive retinopathy and the eye doctor didn't perform a retinal exam.
    Either that or CSCR (unrelated to HTN and resolved by itself in a "couple of months later"). Also picked up by retinal exam.

16. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Me too..at double the dollars..and I had to get a tune up.
    Bad nearsightedness,real bad..Coke bottle bottom bad..blind as a F-N bat..maybe some astigmatism for good measure. Duke trained local doc says I'm a candidate so went for it.
    Pretty nervous,pre-op,but unfounded...op is a sinch..just focus on that symbol,like you've never focused on anything,ever before. Versed is,nice.
    Couldn't do both eyes 20/20,so one's a read eye,and the other the distant eye..the read eye gets a contact for night driving,or a movie night,but not required at all..if fact I mostly skip it,the contact.
    Anyway,I'll repeat what Gator sez,great use of resources..in fact por moi a miracle.
    Cheers,
    RE

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm 48. Went to an eye Dr. for the first time last month. Nothing major. Maybe a reader pair of glasses. Nothing more. She said I'm just getting old.

18. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I had Lasic about 15 years ago. Had been a wearer of glasses since age 6.
    Astigmatism - yes. Also a small scar on the right cornea.
    Doc fixed my eyes so I still have better than 20/20 vision, but due to age (55) I now need reading glasses.
    Ageing sucks!