Virginia Inspection Decals to move to the left lower corner, effective 1/1/18 | FerrariChat

Virginia Inspection Decals to move to the left lower corner, effective 1/1/18

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by XS29L9B, Dec 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
  2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I'm curious if the State of Virginia's annual inspection actually has an impact on anything. States like NJ don't have annual inspections and seem to get along fine without them.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    No impact, just an opportunity for the services facility to sell you ****. Between the inspection, speeding laws, property tax and sales tax for autos VA is not the place to be anymore if you are a car person. I cant wait to leave.

4. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I'd say for the average person, it "forces" them to fix their junk. Most can't tell when their brakes or steering have an issue, let alone, when a bulb burns out. Older and younger, and in between, car-common sense doesn't come easy. Sometimes, and in this case, having a state agency "help", makes sense.

Do I like annual inspections? No. Do the inspectors know me, know I "pre-inspect" my vehicles, and they always pass? Yes.
    Then again, I've also read the inspection manual. If you are bored and would like to read it, here's a link:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/Official%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Safety%20Inspection%20Manual%20(November%2015%202016).pdf

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I just think every year is a bit overkill. I used to do Virginia State inspections when I was in High School. I appreciate that we found things like burned out bulbs and brakes down to metal but that was before all the tech that we have in cars today. My BMW tells me about lights, brakes, fluids, service and tires. You would think they could draw a line for newer vehicles and eliminate the requirement. For older vehicles....changing it to every two years probably wouldn't have much of an impact on what they do find.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    thats true but years ago it was every six months in cars what a PIA that was .In the age of 50,000 tires etc every two years would be much better and not have any effect on safety but don't hold your breath,.. I suspect they changed the location so the police could see it easier to ticket you

7. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I used to cut a piece of black contact paper and place on the back side of the State Inspection and County Tax decals. Used to get hassled for it, like it made it tough to see from "behind"

Well, that's the point, so I don't have to look at an ugly decal from MY seat.

I think the A pillar blocks most decals in lower left, but that could depend a lot on the vehicle.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It's the same for a brand new car or one 15 years old. It doesn't make sense like many of the current laws.

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    With modern license plate reading technology, they should have eliminated the window stickers entirely instead.

Also, with their DMV database, it would be easy to send people a late fee if they are more than 60 days late getting their car re-inspected.
    They could automate sending the reminder and late notices using email, SMS text messages, and paper letters.
    They could give a financial incentive to go paperless which would eliminate most of their admin costs.

This is the approach the Counties are taking on eliminating their window tax stickers.

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Exactly! I remember a few years ago on one of my cars that had never been driven in the rain getting flagged for needing new windshield wiper blades. The blade was not dry rotted, but it did smear the water more than a picky inspector liked. Cost me $30 for new blades.:(

Antique plates seem to be the way to go for old cars- no state inspection required.

11. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Going to a two year cycle for state safety inspections would work a lot better, IMO.

They could even double the fee from $16 to $32 and the people doing the inspections could make better money.

12. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Yes. That would be smarter to line up the emissions(already every 2 years) and the safety inspection. Just make it an even $60. Would be better for the repair shop techs and consumers.

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Probably a hijack, so sorry (not sorry ).

I’m about to take delivery of a 1970 MY car.
    I plan to fully register so no restrictions (like antique plates).

As I understand, I don’t need an emissions test due to age. I also can use period plates provided I affix the modern mon/yr stickers. I would need a safety inspection though vs the self affirmation of antique plates.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe that is true. I have a 75' Bronco and the same applies.

dsd likes this.
  15. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I am not completely out on annual inspections for safety and equipment, given the nature of most. It serves as a wake-up call to many, their vehicles need attention. Now, could it be argued to inspect every two years and still be "safe"? Sure, maybe.

16. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Got a vehicle inspected this week, sure enough, will take getting used to the decal being in low left...

17. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    #17 porkchopious, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    In Virginia it's just a way to vacuum your wallet. This state used to be not so bad tax-wise. No longer. F-ing politicians are constantly sucking on us. Solution is to drive or at least have a car older than 25 years. No yearly inspection of any kind and almost no car tax! The trick is when you buy your car, take it to one of the DMVs in the Northern Virginia area. Behind the counter will usually be a foreign woman who won't bat an eye at the purchase price you have written down on your old car. Totally clueless. They don't know a Maserati from a Mitsubishi.