Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Really? Why? The vehicle is legally registered wherever the owner wants to register it.

I did go somewhere else. And, da*n glad I did, because VA is living in a police state.

But, that doesn't mean I'm still not being gouged by a bunch of tax-happy legislators. And, why should I be happy about that?

CW

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It's only a tax dodge because you say it is. The vehicle is legally registered elsewhere. There is no basis on which to declare that's dodging anything. Period. This is just about VA layering in yet another unjustifiable tax to grab more dollars. And, if you "like" that sort of thing, great for you. However, that's all it is. Nothing more.

I'm not going to tell you the particulars of why I do what I do or how long I stay or don't stay. But, 6 months is an arbitrary number, anyway.

And, just because this money-grab isn't aimed squarely at me doesn't mean I shouldn't be outraged by it. Or, anyone else, for that matter. We should ALL be outraged. And, anyone that votes in VA should be demanding change.

Fine. F50. Enzo. LaFerrari. Take your pick. There's always nit-pickers...

CW

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not this. It's not a tax dodge. It's legally registering a vehicle in a location in order to minimize burdensome taxation. There is no prohibition on that. And, the only basis on which to do so is an arbitrarily-determined date of 180 days cooked up by a VA legislature that cannot live within its' means. So, tax the sh*t out of everything and everyone to pay for things VA cannot afford.

CW

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    In Loudoun County, VA, where I live, there is no difference in your car's personal property tax rate if it is registered as an antique or not.
    They are both taxed at the 4.2% rate each year.
    My friend lives in Loudoun County.

Here is a link to the table of personal property tax rates:
    https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=1922

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    By contrast, just 3 counties south (Orange) doesn't tax antique vehicles. Guess it depends on the density of the county and how money hungry they are due to population.

From OC tax page: If I own an antique or vintage vehicle, do I have to register the vehicle with Orange County?
    Yes. All vehicles need to be registered with Orange County. If the vehicle is classified as an antique or vintage and has permanent license plates issued as specified in Virginia State Code Section 46.2-730 then the vehicle is not subject to taxation.

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    This thread is heading to P&R quickly. Allow me to help that process along...

The comment above captures the "Catch-22" perfectly. I do agree, anything you can LEGALLY do to avoid/minimize taxes is fair game, and I"m a believer in that. Avoidance is legal.

However, sometimes Federal and State laws are somewhat contradictory, OR they exist and we as residents don't like it. Unfortunately, seems like many/most states have laws about registering cars and getting licenses. That's where the "Montana LLC" type loopholes started, and are now being scrutinized, or at least closed.

Frankly, it does piss me off that I follow the law and pay taxes, and someone has a sham Montana LLC and PO Box is EVADING taxes. (and yes, according to the law, at least in CT and CA, that's evasion. If you cook up false evidence, that's also tax fraud). If you legit have homes in different states and you move between them, by all means take advantage of the lower cost angle, just be able to prove it and do it legally.

The root of this issue is elections have consequences, and we as a country have voted in some seriously questionable brainpower into our local, state and federal governments. We're the people who are allowing these "taxation without representation" administrative laws to become reality.

As a bit of history, you might remember that one of the triggers that got Gray Davis recalled as Governor of California was a huge hike in vehicle registration fees; Schwarzenegger promised to unwind that and did. Of course, that was probably the last constructive legislation the California state government has done. Now the California Highway Patrol has a "snitch website" for people to rat each other out on registrations.

7. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It is not arbitrary, it is the point where it goes from a minority of the state to the majority of the year in the state. It is a tax dodge, nothing else. If you don't want to pay the taxes the commonwealth assess, don't have the car in the state for most of the year.

8. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    #133 XS29L9B, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

Looks like your friend should volunteer for the local FD or Sheriff. 0.01/$100

Or visit the internet:
    https://www.loudoun.gov/faq.aspx?TID=67

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    But, it's fine for you to tell me what to do with my personal property, where to put it and for how long?

Seriously?

CW

10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    With all due respect, the state law is apparently saying that. Or, in your context, the law is dictating where you have to register it and get your license, and how much tax you have to pay, depending on where you decide to put your personal property and for how long.

It's always your choice on what to do with your property. However, the Constitution gives the government the power to tax and regulate.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It is, indeed, and that is why people need to stand up and object to it. However, some people are happy with it. And, others, if they don't like it (like me) leave. Fighting government isn't easy, but sometimes it's necessary.

But, as long as a vehicle is legally registered somewhere, the sole basis on which to justify these types of laws is taxation. And, until people stand up for themselves and vote in legislators who end this kind of nonsense, the individual will be viewed as nothing more than a source of tax revenue.

And, similarly, on what basis does VA say that if I'm in the state for more than 60 days do I need to change my DL? Same over-reach. I'm not a VA resident. I may be visiting, but I'm a resident of another state. Simple. But, according to VA I have to get a DL from them? Just silly!

CW

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Same in Caroline County - it's considered household goods when on an antique plate (or a "year of manufacture" plate - my old Jag is on a 1954 license plate).

MOVE TO CAROLINE!! ;-)

gp

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Wow, wow, wow! Your "Or visit the internet" link has a major piece of info in it.

On that webpage it says:

I wonder how many of us in Loudoun County even know that.
    This makes that 1984 Ferrari 512 BBi at FOW even more interesting now. :)

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sorry for you, we do not pay on either in Prince William County.

15. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Glad I could help :)

16. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That confirmed my thought that one does not have to pay for anything but the sticker for antique vehicles in Arlington either. It is a costly sticker, $30, but cheaper than what the tax would be on the real value of a 25 year old F-Car.

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I am telling you that you should follow the law in word and spirit. If you want to stay the majority of the year in a particular state and want to drive, you should hold your license in that state. Should you garage/keep a vehicle in a particular state for the majority of the year, the car should be registered and taxes paid in that state. If you don't like the taxes of that state, you should spend less than a majority of your time and the cars time there. Why should there be an exemption for you based on what you want to pay compared to what everyone else is paying in taxes?

If you don't like the system, but like the state, why not stick around, stay a registered voter to keep a say, or better yet run for office to have a positive role in making changes and getting rid of taxes?

Sorry if I have crossed the lines to P&R. Bottom line, keep a car in Virginia beyond 180 days of a particular year and pay the taxes owed. Live/stay in the state for over 180 days, get a license for the state. It is the law, not too hard or even that financially burdensome to comply.

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looking at things on the positive side, that $30 sticker defrays the need to pay $16 for a VA state safety inspection each year.

19. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    This is true, but only if you go with the black tag, not the yellow. Black tag limits your use. So Yellow Tag lets you drive, ensures you don't let things go to far out of maintenance schedules, and costs $16 more, and still avoid the car tax; totally worth it.

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I am following the law, but when it's a BS money-grabbing law, we, as the People, need to be pushing back. Because some a*hole in Government is finding new ways to tax you. And, if you don't push back, you're complicit in letting them take it from you.

"Bottom line" is it's a money-grab.

Where I declare MY residency or register MY vehicles ought to be MY choice. Not some tax-happy state's.

CW

21. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That should not be your choice. It is based on where you spend the majority of your time. Otherwise we should all declare we are residents of Texas, Florida or Tennessee and live in Delaware so that we never pay state income or sales tax again. I don't see any logic to having the right to decide what is contrary to fact.

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    In CO and WA, the voters LEGALIZED marijuana. If those voters can decide to legalize marijuana in conflict with Federal law, VA voters ought to be able to get their heads out of their ass*s.

It's the VOTERS that control the issues. Take back control from a bunch of tax-happy legislators. Vote the basta*ds out. Simple.

However, I think I know how you'd vote.

CW

23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Who says we're not? I already said I'm against the car tax. But that doesn't excuse tax dodging, no matter how you want to frame it.

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Until VA gets sane, people will do what they think appropriate and legal. MT registration is legal.

CW

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not if your car is in-state for more than half the year. Besides that, a lot of things are legal that are morally reprehensible. If you care more about money than morals and want to take the risk, go ahead, but there are implications to that decision.