VIR TRACK DAY 31 MARCH | Page 6 | FerrariChat

VIR TRACK DAY 31 MARCH

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by resnow, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    It's funny... Everything is 10-30MPH faster in the right seat, and 3-10 feet closer in the left one. (LOL)
    As I recall, when we came to a rest on that ride, we were actually about 6-10 feet from the wall. Of course, from your perception driving your F-car baby, I have no doubt that wall was the only thing in your field of view :D

Just like in the case with Cyclenirvana, THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
    With some drivers, I basically have to take over because in the heat of the moment, they go to la-la land. In both your cases, you listened and did what I was saying. The only reason I grabbed the wheel in your ride was to straighten it in the last few feet of travel - you'd gotten us 99% of the way clear on your own - again that wall was probably looking pretty freakin' big in those last few feet.

That is one of the most treacherous places on all of full course in that it is extremely unforgiving. T10 bites most everyone who errs it and bites them really hard - usually to the tune of damage. It is only because you guys stayed with me and executed what you heard that we stayed out of harms way and learned the 'Don't Lift!' lesson in a relatively safe, albeit "$#|+ oneself through the high pucker" kinda way. :D

So when I say "Thanks for listening!", I truly mean it!

Cheers,
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Facilitator, Pro-Driver, Instructor & Coach
    DreamsFulfilled, LLC & rEvolution Performance Driving System ©

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Chuck - Were you there in 2005(?) when the brand new 550 Barchetta spun down the infield at T10 ? I can easily understand why the rear-engine car spins leftward into the wall at T10 -- but what would normally cause a front-engine car to go 'off' down the hillside on the right? Is it a smarter driver who, instead of lifting, just floors it, hoping the grass and infield will slow him safely?

3. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    Actually, it's the 'smarter driver', who I would say is just a bit more 'sensitive' and feels the spin begin very early on - or simply recognizes that he/she's in over their head - and unwinds (straightens) the steering wheel very early and drives to the outside of the turn. Essentially driving 'straight off'. The back end of the car has not begun significant rotation at this point, if that makes sense.

Since the car is still loaded up on one side from the turn, once in the grass where there's less traction, a spin may be inevitable. The difference: On the right hand side of the track there is only a drainage grate that needs to be missed... much smaller than a 200ft tire wall ;) That being the case, this is a much safer option when one over-bakes T10. One just has to be far enough ahead in their correction to make this escape route happen. A little slow and a tank-slapper could ensue.

Oh, and regardless of where the engine is mounted, T10 is a left-hand turn, so the initially induced spin will always be to the left, or counter-clockwise.

Hope this helps!
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Facilitator, Pro-Driver, Instructor & Coach
    DreamsFulfilled, LLC & rEvolution Performance Driving System ©