Vintage Guitars | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #101 thecarreaper, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #102 Beta Scorpion, Nov 17, 2006
  3. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #103 Beta Scorpion, Nov 17, 2006
    Here is a Mesa Blue Angel. This amp has switchable output tubes. One can have 2 6V6 (like a deluxe) or 4 EL84s like a AC30 or combine all 6. This one has 4 10" alnico speakers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #104 Beta Scorpion, Nov 17, 2006
    Here is a Mesa Maverick. It has switchable SS or tube rectifiers, 4 EL 84s and foot-switchable 'overdirve' and 'clean' channels. Has 2 'Vintage 30's' in an open-back combo.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Love that Les Paul. :):)

6. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #106 Beta Scorpion, Nov 18, 2006
    Here is the Mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb. Oops...I am giving away my tone secret. Yes that is a vintage 'treble-sucking' Tom Schultz Power Soak. A perfect combo for an amp with too much treble. The Power Soak tames the 'Red' channel and makes it playable. It turns the orange channel into tone candy. Nice legato Allen Holdsworth type playing sounds awesome. I have the back on the cabinet to make it a sealed back cabinet. Twin 'Vintage 30's' again.

7. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #107 Beta Scorpion, Nov 18, 2006
    Marshall JCM900 shown with matching power brake. I actually prefer the Schultz power soak. Yes, it is just some resistors and can 'damage' the amp (or so the nay-sayers say) but the secret is that this is a JCM900, the 'crummy' amp of the 90s. People hate this amp and if it ever got fried, a replacement would be easy to find. How do I use the amp? I use it like a non-master volume amp. That is, I set the master to 10 (yes that is cranking the thing all the way up) then I control the amount of drive with an ORANGE Boss box and control the volume with the power soak. The trick here is that at lower settings of the amp's volume knob, the much maligned clipping diodes are not as much part of the sound; but more importantly, the output section of this amp is similar to the reverened non-master volume Marshalls. Affording a vintage Marshall amp is not the question here, the question is 'why flog an expensive, rare vintage amp?'

BTW: I am talking about recording setups here. I probably would not flog an amp used for playing out.

8. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #108 Beta Scorpion, Nov 18, 2006
    I could write a small book on the Super Twin. It's unique feature is it's SIX output tubes (six 6L6s). Output is said to be 180 Watts! (and 308's have 255 hp, right!). One of the last of the point-to-point wired all-tube amps. It's 'negative feedback' loop in the circuit design is said to compromise it's tone. I can get some good sounds out of it and would not sell it in-spite of it's lackluster reputation. (Don't confuse this with a Fender 'blackface' Twin or a Fender 'blackface' Super. This is a Post-CBS marketing department-designed amp, not a vintage amp)

This amp has a clever feature than no one understands. It has a trim pot between the two banks of 6L6's to even the bias out between the two banks so you don't need matched tubes. It does have a fixed risistor for the overall bias current, so getting the overall bias correct requires a little trial and error (either in changing tube rating or changing the resistor). Some advocate changing the balance trim pot into an overall bias pot and using matched tubes, but if you know what you are doing it can be set up fine as is.

Another unique feature of this amp is its weight. It has monster magnets on the speakers and the power transformer is huge! This thing draws over 500 watts from the power line (like five 100W light bulbs).

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :)

i need to look for an old Marshall, say a JCM 800 or so. my Traynor is very nice as far as new / reiable amps go, but it doesnt have that Marshall " soul " . the only effects i have ae Reverb and Scoop on the amp and an old Vox Wha pedal. i have no experience with effects and tubes. i have ALOT to learn, but i only play for fun.....

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #110 thecarreaper, Nov 18, 2006
  11. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Like the photos with your cars. It reminded me of an 80's Gibson ad showing what I remember as a Black LP Custom against a Red 308 gts. I'll have to check my old Guitar Player magazines for the ad and post it.

12. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    #112 Gemm, Nov 18, 2006
    This one?

13. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I wish I had more free time. Maybe tomorrow Ill get some time to re-size a bunch and post them. Some of us idiots work for a living.

(smile)

I came across a Brian Moore USA Custom yesterday with the 13-PIN Roland connector. The top on this thing Ive never seen before. Its a mirror top that goes from green/blue/purple/pink etc.. when you tilt it. Forget what they call that. Cant find it on his website, even under discontinued models. Leads me to believe its on the rarer side. Me likes Unique guitars and basses.

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) thank you ! hoping to get 2 more Faded Standards very soon.....

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow! that was fast! sheesh!

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Nice pics! :D:D Forget about the girls!! Nice axes will do. ;);)

17. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    #117 Choptop, Nov 20, 2006
  18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) i am most likely not coordinated enough to play it, but DAMN it looks cool !

19. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    Holy Christmas! Thats frickin hot. What year/model bass is that? Im seeing dollar signs in front of my face. Looks like it cost a bundle.

20. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Custom made, didnt cost me a cent :D. The good folks at Fender made it for me.

I forget what year, but figure.... 1991-1993, sometime in there.

Fretless semi-hollow with bridge pickup on on side, Lace Sensors active set up on the fretted side. Rosewood body, gold hardware, burl maple top, cream binding.

Heavy as ten fookers, and not really that well balanced (its heavy towards the head, the necks want to drop down).

But it plays well, and looks great.

more to come :D

if I only had half the guitars I once did... sigh... sold a ton of them. Sometimes ya gotta do it take make rent/eat.

I have more than a I have time to play left over though.

more pics to come...

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Love the ESP's. :p
    The SG and Ace LP are also cool. :)

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #123 PAP 348, Nov 24, 2006
    I went to dinner with the g/f last night. They had a guy playing the guitar all night. A solo act. Afterwards he came over and started talking and I asked him about his guitar. It is a Blade Levingston. Made in the USA? Anyone ever heard of them? I never knew about them, until he showed me it. I had a little play on it. It is nice. Looks like a strat. 3 single pickups. It even has a seperate toggle switch which activates a tiny pickup on the bottom of the neck. Ive never seen that before either. Sounded nice. He is a good player and he was mainly playing the blues and he loves Stevie Ray Vaughn. :)
    He also showed me this 'vintage' 1980 strat. Very banged up. He bought it new and has since changed everything on the axe he said. Only body and neck are stock. :p The 3 EMG's are of only 4 in the world he reckons. Famous Aussie guitarist Tommy Emmanual had them made for him years ago and never used them. He is friends with this guy, so he asked if he wanted them. They still use 9V batt to work. The strat sounded FAT! :p But he hardly ever plays it anymore, as he loves his new Blade axe. The pics are from camera phone of the Fender. Sorry about the quality. :)

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #124 robertgarven, Nov 25, 2006