Vintage Car Restoration - Lacquer or Basecoat/Clearcoat | FerrariChat

Vintage Car Restoration - Lacquer or Basecoat/Clearcoat

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TLKIZER660, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    How far does one take restoration? I'm in the last stages of making my 1969 365 GT 2+2 (Euro 12293) "like new". The engine, drivetrain and chassis have 4,000 km on an 8 year old restoration. All along the way, I've been troubled by the conflict between authenticity and improvement. I wish I could find a web site with "rules for restoration". The comments, discussions and opinions of the participants of this forum have been extremely valuable so far. I need one bit of advice that I've not been able to find by using the forum's search tool. Now it's time to bite the bullet and take the car back to the bare metal, fix a little rust, take out a few dings and repaint. QUESTION: Should I use lacquer in the original color, since I can still get it blended to the original formula or even match it to the existing color? Or should I just match the original color as well as possible and use latest technology paint for good durability? The paint on the car is, believe it or not, the third coat - all applied before I bought it in 1985. It was built with Ortello Gray Poly, then repainted red, then repainted Ortello Gray Poly again - all in lacquer. It's now shrunk, cracked, chipped and scuffed, so it needs to be redone. I really would appreciate the opinions of those who know what affects the value of a vintage Ferrari.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Opinions vary.
    Some would repaint with lacquer, and then again some areas have EPA laws against shooting lacquer.
    When I repaint a car that was shot originally with lacquer such as an early Ferrari, I use a modern paint system like PPG, but I shoot with a single stage paint, unless the original color was a metallic,
    then I'll use a base/clear coat.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm about as far from being an expert on the subject as one can get but, from what I've seen, modern urethane enamel paints just don't look nearly as stunning as lacquer. Modern paints give the metal surface a plastic look in my opinion (good for blending metal fenders in with urethane bumpers) while lacquer looks more like what it is, painted metal. I'm also fairly certain that most top-notch (think Pebble Beach) restorations involve the use of lacquer paint.

That said, lacquer is brittle and stress cracks are probably inevitable. Also, I've heard that lacquer paints can continue to shrink for several years after application, requiring periodic maintenance.

Now, I believe that a compromise between the two can be reached by using a urethane base with several top coats of lacquer for added resistance to shrinking while maintaining the "lacquer look," but an expert will have to weigh in on that one.

I think the decision ultimately comes down to what you plan on doing with the car and how much road use it will actually see.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Aug 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a topic I've spent some time considering, as the Dino has a repaint upcoming this winter.

I looked at a Dino with a base/clear coat paint on it that looked stunning, and could not be told (by my untrained eye) from the paint that was on my car.

The advantage to modern paint is it holds up better, is easier to match should you have a big chip or ding later, and will hold color better. (This all from the guy who's doing the work on my car.)

Modern paint is the way to go.

I do not believe it costs you points at a concours, either, but maybe one of our concours experts (Tom, can you hear me?) could chime in.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    My 365GT 2+2 has numerous stress cracks in the paint on the top just back from the windshield. When I get over the cost of the new engine and get around to painting it I will use modern paints so I'm sure the cracking won't come back. I try to maintain originality but I really hate the cracks.

6. akydakyx

akydakyx Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve K
    fwiw, many times i have heard ed gilbert say you will not lose points for a repaint with a color other than the original so long as the color you paint it was offered for that car at the time it was built. iow it is a correct color for that model and year. so if there is a color you like better that its original color don't be afraid to do it.

7. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    This is a good moment for me to chime in! My Dino is a 1974 model (UK) and i am about to give it a colour change, I am in love with dark mettalic grey (charcoal) code 106-E-8 does anyone know if this colour was an option for my year/model?

By the way my painter is going to use a urethane base colour followed by several coats of laquer and he has been in this trade for 36 years!

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Here's what the Dino Register lists as stock colors.

Code Color Common name

20-Y-56 Avorio Safari ?
    20-A-349 Azzurro Dino Bright 'French Racing' blue
    20-A-547 Azzurro Cielo ?
    20-A-357 Bleu Scuro Dark blue
    20-A-548 Blue Montecarlo Dark blue
    20-B-50 Nero Black
    20-R-190 Rosso Chiaro 'Ferrari' red
    20-R-350 Rosso Dino Orange
    20-W-152 Bianco Polo Park White
    20-Y-490 Nuovo Giallo Fly Bright Fly Yellow
    106-A-18 Bleu Sera Metallizzato Dark Blue Metallic
    106-A-38 Bleu Chiaro Metallizzato Blue
    106-A-32 Azzurro Metallizzato Light Blue Metallic
    106-A-72 Bleu Dino Metallizzato Medium Blue Metallic
    106-E-1 Argento Auteil Metallizzato Silver Metallic
    106-E-8 Grigio Ferro Metallizzato Dark Metallic Grey (Charcoal)
    106-G-29 Verde Medio Metallizzato Light Green Metallic
    106-G-30 Verde Pino Metallizzato Dark Green Metallic
    106-G-355 Verde Scuro Dino Green
    106-M-73 Marrone Dino Metallizzato Light Tan Metallic
    106-R-83 Rosso Rubino Metallizzato Dark Red Metallic
    106-Y-137 Oro Chiaro Metallizzato Light Metallic Gold
    133-R-10 Rosso Metallizzato Light Red Metallic
    20-R-549 Prugna ?
    30-R-351 Rosso Bordeaux Dark "Wine" Red
    106-R-136 Rosso Cordoba Deep Burgundy
    106-R-71 Viola Metallizzato Purple Metallic
    106-M-27 Nocciola Metallizzato Copper-Bronze Metallic
    106-A-16 Celeste Metallizzato Blue Metallic
    ???? Giallo Cream Yellow
    20-Y-346 Giallo Yellow
    20-Y-464 Giallo Senape Yellow (Mustard?)
    ???? Giallo Dino Yellow
    ???? Marrone Colorado Brown
    ???? Grigio Argento Silver-Grey
    ???? Verde Germoglio Green
    106-A-38 Bleu Chario Metallizzato Blue Metallic

Although, any color could be ordered at the factory.

DM

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #9 FarmerDave, Aug 9, 2005
    Wayne, when we asked Bob Smith about this while touring his shop a few weeks ago, he does not use laquer. He uses modern base/clear to finish the cars he sends to Pebble Beach, including this one which is scheduled to be there this yr (sorry I didn't get a s/n.)

IIRC, he said that the only place he trusts that legally sells laquer is in California, but the color matching to his original Scaglietti paint chip book would be nearly impossible and would involve a trip out there just to approve the paint color (the colors are much harder to mix correctly), and then he'd have to ship the paint back to his shop via ground transportation due to EPA regs.

What I gathered from all of this is that if Bob thought it was necessary to use Laquer in order to win, he'd be using it. He stressed that the color match is what's paramount.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #10 writerguy, Aug 9, 2005
  11. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting thread.
    Does anyone know what year Ferrari switched from lacquer paints?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Early 80's...........correct, EPA would file on ayone in US squirting more than one fender at a time..........nice loophole, eh? It'd only take eight or nine trips thru the booth, to get it all done!

GM switched again to current water based low VOC paint around '94. It won't even stand up to road tar, in the lighter (try white! :)) colors......

How's your Spanish?

Mexico is thataway!

\/ \/ \/ \/

Assuming you have the map in proper orientation!

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I have shot both and lived with the results of both.

I did an E-Type Jag in Ecurie Ecosse Blue once in lacquer that was amazing. With enough coats, wet sanding and buffing it looked like you could reach down into it. But.... BUT... it chips, scratches, fades and dulls VERY easily. It also repairs very easily. With Lacquer you can spot repair it. Get a chip? Sand it out, spot fill it, prep the area and reshoot. Then sand/buff the entire panel back to new.

But all that said, no car I own will ever be shot with that ancient tech crap now. I would no more shoot a car in lacquer than I would run Castrol R vegetable based oil. Technology has moved light years beyond.

Modern 2 part catayst paints are durable, flow out fantastic, resist cracks and bubbling and give you a finish that will last far longer. They also can give you a finish that looks just as rich and deep provided you put in the elbow grease! Perfect prep work + highest quality paints + wet sanding and buffing STILL = a show car finish.

Talking with Bo Pirkle last year on this subject, he still goes to seminars several times a year to keep up on the latest paint tech and he swears by the latest/greatest stuff.

Terry

14. AusDino

AusDino Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2005
    Bris
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #14 AusDino, Aug 9, 2005
    About 18 years ago I did the bare metal/shell rebuild on my Dino. I was advised then to do the base coat/top coat 2 pack paint as distinct to lacquer. With the use of a good polishing system (and a bit of hard work) you can get the paint finish to look as deep and as rich as a lacquer job. My paint still looks as good as the day it was sprayed except for the odd chip and a small bit of corrosion on the alloy bonnet - you could not say the same for a lacquer paint finish of similar age and usage. There is no shrinkage or cracks . This is probably due to good preparation by the paint shop and the usage of 2 pack undercoats/fillers etc.. with their inherent strenght / shrink resistance /chip resistance. This is my personal experience anyway..
    cheers.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    How do I put this delicately?

I saw this car in person and:

1. It had lots of "eyeball."

2. It supported my prior perception of the difference between lacquer vs modern paint.

By the way, gloss has nothing to do with the difference that I see in the two. I believe that either can be finished to a high level of glossiness.

16. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I have stayed out of the thread since starting it so that I could read what those who responded had to say. It’s been dormant for a couple of days so now I’m back to ask a few questions.

Dave wrote:
    First, I know nothing about paint. All my experience is in powertrains. What influence does "metallic" have in choosing base/clear coat over a single stage paint?

BigTex wrote:
    As far as I can tell there is no problem shooting lacquer here if I can get it – and I can. It’s a good thing because I’m in Québec City – Waaaaaay thataway ^ ^ ^ ^ from Mexico.

Wayne Ausbrooks wrote:
    Nerodino wrote:
    The people from www.autocolorlibrary.com (not posted here) wrote:
    The people at AutoColorLibrary also wrote me about urethane paint as an single stage alternative to base coat/clear coat that will give the “lacquer look” but with better durability.
    Wayne, what’s the “lacquer look”? Also what is the “single stage look” in the opinion of you Ferrari experts? I’m at a disadvantage. There are very few Ferraris here to look at, and Montreal is almost 200 miles Southwest.
    I'm leaning toward urethane paint but am still questioning whether to put clear lacquer on top of it. The lacquer seems to be more trouble than it's worth in the final analysis.

17. TLKIZER660

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    By the way, I really appreciate your opinions. Long ago I learned that there is not enough time to make all your own mistakes. One has to learn from the mistakes of others and be willing to listen to and carefully consider advice while keeping responsibility for the final decision. Thanks everyone!
    Tom Kizer

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    /Off topic/

AusDino,

Do you have a picture of the 330 that is at the left edge of the picture above?

Regards,

Art S.

19. AusDino

AusDino Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2005
    Bris
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #19 AusDino, Aug 11, 2005
  20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As I stated in my first post here, I'm about as far from being an expert on this subject as one can get. That said:

To me, lacquer leaves the surface looking like painted metal, where modern urethane paints leave it looking like it's coated in plastic. I imagine that this might be attributed to the use of a clear coat over the urethane paint and, if that's the case, it sounds like the "single-stage" urethane that you mention could possibly be the best of both worlds.

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm sitting in my garage right now looking at a 66 Jag that I had painted with lacquer about 20 years ago. That won't happen again.

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    AusDino,

Thanks!

Regards,

Art S.

23. marcow

marcow Rookie

Mar 10, 2006
    Pomona, CA 91766
    Full Name:
    Marco Piehl
    I have been restoring Ferraris and other Italian cars for Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance for over 20 years. If you are trying to match one panel to another it will be very difficult to match the paint perfectly, as modern paints have different pigments than the old ones, so for instance it will look good in the sun but if you look at it inside under lights the color will look different from certain angles. Modern paints do have better UV protection. I would also never recommend painting over older layers of paint as the chemicals in the new paint might react with the old and cause all sorts of headaches. Strip down to bare metal, it will look better and last longer. As far as judging goes, the type of paint will not be marked negatively as long as the color is something that is period correct. I hope this helps, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

V12addict likes this.