Video games to movies | FerrariChat

Video games to movies

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bounty, Oct 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #1 bounty, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    This is a thread I've been wanting to start for a long time now. I'm sure most people won't have much interest in this topic, but I have a couple of questions to ask.

Why is it so difficult to translate a video game into a movie? I've been playing computer/console games for years and have played some games with amazing story lines, deep plot, highly expanded characters, and plenty of action. Yet, taking this and translating it on a movie screen seems to be a huge challenge. Even after all of the failed attempts, it seems that Hollywood is still determined that this could work and I applaud their efforts for not giving up.

Despite mixed critical reviews, it appears that they will be making a Hitman 2. I was one of the few that thought the first movie was good, not great...but good. They should have stayed truer to the plot outlined in the video game and I would have changed out a few actors...but overall I think they did a good job and I left the movie feeling satisfied. I am looking forward to a sequel and really hope they can make pull it off. I'll be interested to see what Kyle Ward (writer) does.

My favorite video game to movie adaptation, though, was Resident Evil. I felt they did a great job. Mortal Kombat I also felt was good considering the storyline they had to work with and they kept it true to the video game series.

Doom was horrendous. Max Payne was terrible...yet that movie had the potential to be revolutionary. Didn't pan out.

I think there is a lot of great potential in this area, but I'm not exactly sure what the underlying problem is. I think there is great potential for movies based on the Starcraft series(Ghost Recon in particular could be incredible), Half Life (I'd love to see a Gordon Freeman on screen), Fallout, and Metal Gear.

So my questions are:

Why is it so difficult to translate a video game into a good movie?
    Will they ever get one right?
    What video games would you like to see made into movies?

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Random thoughts:

Despite my age, I'm a reasonably avid gamer with some good hardware, currently playing Fallout 3.

I wish I knew the answer on the game-to-movie thing.

Hitman game series is one of my alltime favorites, but IMO the movie was horrible, moreso considering that its not a story that needs lots of special effects to be effective. The movie's production quality was high, add a good screenplay and decent acting talent....winner.

Fallout, Half-Life, and Oblivion series would be tremendously expensive to bring to the screen.

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Did you blow up Megaton or no? :)

4. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    You have to blow it up if you want to get the room at the Tinsdale Tower and all the extra tasks and items that go along with it. Just make sure you detonate the bomb AFTER you've done everything in Megaton..

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009

6. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Lets flip the script for a minute. I was recently invited to play the new Tron game for PS3 (still in development). It was, without a doubt, the worst game I've ever played. I have more fun playing games on my Blackberry than I did playing this. It's almost like Disney picked a generic engine and attached the Tron name to it. Sad to see them tarnish a franchise like this, but this isn't the first time and definitely wont be the last.

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The answer is incredibly simple.

Its very very very very difficult to make ANY good movie now that movie studios have become big corporations turning out fast food.

It used to be that each movie had a General (usually the director) and once that person took charge they made the final decisions , for better or worse. This resulted in a lot of really bad movies and a lot of really good movies.

Now everything is a commitee and everyone wants to stay in each others good graces so everything is a compromise. There is a lack of 'vision' in Hollywood.

Watch the documentaries on making Blade Runner, Alien, Godfather, Jaws, Terminator, Aliens, Star Wars... there was a single filmmaker behind each with a vision...they werent worried about what movie they were making next. They werent thinking about what trendy event they were going to be seen at that night. They lived and breathed the movie they were making.

Thats not coming back. Get used to it.

There will be a revolution in filmmaking soon...as soon as independents can figure out how to monetize showing their films on the internet. Once we (independent filmmakers like myself) can release our own films and not have to go through a studio its going to be amazing...

You have to realize that a studio takes EIGHTY PERCENT of the gross revenue when they release a film. At some point the deck will flip and the filmmaker will keep 80% and the web distributor will keep 20%...

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Haven't blown it up, but used the residents for target practice a couple of times.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The first Resident Evil movie wasnt that bad. I enjoyed it.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Time?

How long does it take to work through a deep game? Days, weeks, months?

At best you're going to get 3 hours in a flick, and that's not going to be as interactive as the game.

Really, its the same reason many movie adaptations of books are bad.

11. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I never played Resident Evil so I don't know what the game played like. But I thought the first 2 movies were pretty good action flicks. Third one, not so much.

Also never played Tomb Raider but the movies weren't too bad.

DOOM the movie was pretty bad. After DOOM II the game was not so hot, either.

I would love to see a movie of Half-Life. That's my all-time favorite game and if done by someone who cares it could be a great action/sci-fi movie.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont know if it is too late (Graphism has evolved a lot..) but you should try resident evil. It is the best non car games i have ever played. Not as fast paced as Half Life (less shooting..). But again , first one is from 1995 (?) so you might not enjoy it visualy.

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well, I've been making games and "interacting" with Hollywood for over 16 years, and there's a variety of reasons, some pointed out already.

One of the biggest failings though, aside from a studio just cranking out a movie, is that the screenwriters for game-movie translations don't play or understand games. They get a basic treatment and just run with it. And often game publishers sign their rights away when they license out their game to be made into a movie and have no say whatsoever in the adaptation. I could write a book about this whole topic but it's boring, depressing, and well, whatever. Additionally, because the studio spends money on the game license, they don't want to spend it on the talent to write a good movie. They often rely on the title and the hoopla for the game (and any star power they might be attaching) to bring in the faithful and more into the theaters. Generally doesn't work.

There is one game publisher/developer that has been shopping their game to be made into a movie, but they want absolute control over it. So far, many years later, Hollywood isn't having any of it, and thus that game isn't going to see the light of day on the big screen anytime soon.

But on the flip side, I have a friend who is an established screenwriter, worked on many successful movies, and he is a gamer. Recently, he went back to do 'justice' to a game-gone-movie that was just a travesty. Universally panned, and he knew it could be done better and he decided to take on a game-to-movie transition. Had numerous meetings, the project was green lit, all was going to be made whole again. Then the studio hit some financial bumps, and the project was put on indefinite hold. Oh well.

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont think its who you are referring to but from what ive heard Blizzard is going to be VERY hands on with the Warcraft movie....thats one of the reasons I dont think it will get to production.

You have Sam Raimi, one of the biggest directors in the world (which cracks me up since ive known him since Army of Darkness), Blizzard which is arguably the most powerful and autonomous developer in the world, Legendary Pictures who has major muscle having made the Batman films and finally Warner Brothers who are notorious control freaks.

For the life of me I cant see that leading to production...Way too many Uber-Powerful chefs in that kitchen...

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nope - not Blizzard, you're right, not who I'm referring to.

As for WC heading to the big screen, this stuff goes in and out of production all the time. I remember having the Men in Black script on my desk nearly 7 years before it actually got made. And that's when they had Stallone and Schwarzenegger tied to it, not Smith and Tommy Lee. Laughable I know (Hollywood for years was trying to get Stallone and Schwarz in a film together), and thankfully never came to pass. But WC making it to the screen, could be next year, could be 5 years from now, could be never.

16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You sound like you're 'in the know' so do you remember 'Isobar' ? I worked on that for almost a year before the entire thing was shelved...That was one of the first times I remember a studio spending tens of millions and never getting to production....lol

17. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I wouldn't say I'm in the know, but I'm definitely not ignorant about it. Crimson Skies is another one, Spielberg was tied to for a while (and a movie my friend turned down), but I think, I'm spacing, but that other 'artsy' movie that had Gwenyth Paltrow in it, stylized with giant robots, similar style as Crimson Skies killed off any hope of CS getting made.

I greenlit Johnny Mnemonic as a video game. Dumb, I know, but when I greenlit it, it was starring Val Kilmer in it (then eventually Johnny Depp was tied to it) and sounded really cool. When they announced finally the last change would be Keanu, I was like "kill it! kill it!"

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    slightly off topic, I know...

has anyone used iTunes as a first-release for a movie? i.e. instead of straight-to-video/DVD, straight-to-iTunes?

while some musicians have had a lot of success using iTunes as their venue to stardom, for the most part it hasn't revolutionized music. In some ways, it has made the corporation-controlled, one-hit-wonder nature of pop music worse.

19. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and I was involved in it peripherally...lol

Johnny Mnemonic was a hit on paper w Kilmer or Depp...cant kick yourself for that one.

I bet BIG TIME on Chronicles of Riddick....Vin was huge..Twohy had a good track record...great script (that was later butchered to get the running time down) .

lost my ASSSSSSS on that bet :D

20. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good question I dont know the answer to.

I would think if someone had done it successfully there would be a stampede to do it from indies...but nothing like that going on. We are all still waiting

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Okay, so in a movie, who would play Leisure Suit Larry and who would play Tawni...?

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I want to know who would play Frogger...

23. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Smeagol

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #24 WJHMH, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was, even the folks at Id Software are not proud of it but by far this has to be the worst. (Anyone here want to admit they had something to do with this?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I helped out a few days making the Yoshi puppet. But I cant take the blame...