[video] BBC F1 Preview | FerrariChat

[video] BBC F1 Preview

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Mar 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This was shown a few days back on the BBC. Its Martin, DC, Mr Jordan and a few randoms talking about the season.

http://www.coresworld.net/F1/2010/ 100mb~ 43mins~ (needs flash player)

Enjoy :)

2. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    Very interesting interview in regards to the upcoming F1 season!

3. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Yes i watched that last night. Great start to the F1 season. Though Eddie Jordon had very negative vibes regarding MS returning to the sport. Its going to be great!!

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Thanks for posting!! Interesting comments but nothing too surprising.

5. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Thanks for the link !
    For US residents has anybody got a reliable live feed alternative to Speed.
    I have tried filmon.com, missmysoaps.com with mixed results. I believe getting a European or British URL which makes your computer think it's in Britain/Europe allows direct BBC1 broadcast feed. Any suggestions welcome

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah welcome to my world :eek: Filmon was the best free method last year.

Getting good proxies from the UK is easier said then done.

The easiest way is paying for a british VPN. Usually it varies from $10-20/mth.

7. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    I am in the uk with a uk registerd internet account, and when i am in Italy i take my laptop with me. It will not allow me to access the BBCs Internet players.
    So i dont know how its done.

8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #8 SPEEDCORE, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    I would assume you are connecting to the internet in Italy locally, like a hotel or friends wifi/internet connection. That connection would have an Italian IP address so the BBC sees you are coming from Italy and denies you access.

Proxy servers and VPN's are afew of the ways to trick the BBC servers into thinking you are still in the UK.

9. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Oh i see. Thats to over my head. I am a plug in and play kind of guy:)

10. Hugodv

Hugodv Karting

Jul 7, 2009
    Holland
    #10 Hugodv, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Regarding UK VPN's;

Initial setup is all the work, once that's done activating the VPN is one mouseclick away. (on both PC and Mac)
    Your VPN provider/hoster can always assist you with the setup.

The BBC checks your location by IP and with the UK VPN you'll have an UK based IP.

Free proxy's won't allow streaming video for the obvious cost of bandwith.

BBC iPlayer works great so for the F1 fan it's worth the effort :)

11. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    I found www.scothosts.com or www.ukproxyserver.co.uk offer a VPN including a free trial.
    Will download later today

12. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Thanks for the link Tony - it was good fun watching it.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    a bit worrying about the stiff neck on schumacher comment. maybe tifosi12 was accidentally correct!

having said that, MS completed 100s of laps. *shrug* time will tell.

14. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've been running http://www.strongvpn.com from Canada since early 2009 and I get a great connection to the UK. I watch all the practice and post-race coverage there, and keep it on my laptop when the North American coverage goes to commercial.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  16. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    Last year FilmOn worked very well. I hope it continues.

17. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    The BBC has a good thing going, as usual. They make the Speedvision morons look like, well, morons. In this day of information overload, I think I could get by with just BBC, WSJ and The Economist.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's not a relative thing...the BBC doesn't make Speed look like idiots. It's an absolute. The Speed folks have looked like idiots without have to compare them to others. I don't even bother watching them anymore. If I can't stream the race from BBC, I don't bother watching.

19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    There were a few times last year when filmon was severely laggy even if I logged on several hours prior. If that happens again, I'll def go for some UK based VPN access to get it straight from BBC. Downloading the torrent from racing-underground and watching the race few hours later (without live timing) just isn't the same. And I refuse to watch it on Speed.

20. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    vinuneuro: agreed filmon had it's fair share of issues last year and with more ppl aware of using filmon during the F1 race weekends we might find the same issues.

21. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I think Filmon is out the window. Just reinstalled it, and even with an existing 'free' login, after 10-15min it goes out giving a message Subscription Expired. I guess I have to look for VPN access now.

P1-EH posted he used strongvpn with success last season, which has $55 and $85/year plans. Could any of the IT folks give some guidance on whether we want to use PPTP ($55) or an 'Open' ($85) connection?

22. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    pptp works on desktops and mobile devices because its simple to configure, if you are only going to use it for the iplayer or video content then this is good enough.

open uses higher encryption and provides more advanced settings but unless you are using it for business purposes it's overkill. It doesn't work on mobile devices.

I would look for a VPN company that provides a free trial period. So you can test it before putting down money for 12mths.

Give this site a go http://myvpnreviews.com/