[VIDEO]: Alonso Hunts down Schumie in the Wet, Hungary GP 2006 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[VIDEO]: Alonso Hunts down Schumie in the Wet, Hungary GP 2006

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Rumors of signing a pre-contract (means nothing) to drive a couple years before riding off into the sunset isn't even remotely the same thing as what Schumacher accomplished. Nothing I said in my post was untrue. Once he found out Williams was faster he was ready to jump ship the next year from the team that gave him his 3 WDC. Pretty amazing really.

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Convenient for the tin foil hatters, wonder how they explain the many videos of MS making poor starts that season? Hell, I searched for 5 mins and linked 3 in this thread.

So you have Senna (upset he was being beaten) and Lauda (a notorous BSer - still is) as the "proof"

OK.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not to mention outqualifying Irvine by a full second! :)

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Was an epic performance. :D

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Not rumors. He did sign. I saw a picture of the contract somewhere now I can't find it. Again, you're reaching a bit. It's your opinion he didn't have the balls to do what MS did but he did intend to go to Ferrari. Unless you have a crystal ball I don't see how you could possibly know how that could have turned out. I also think you're a bit off on his wanting to jump ship. It was well known that he had been pushing Honda and McLaren to try to catch Williams. Then it became clear that Honda didn't want to stay around. Exactly what did you expect him to do? He knew the Ford engine wasn't enough to win titles against Williams and he still got second. Ron Dennis didn't have a good engine deal and only got Peugeot really late.

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    There's also the small matter of the FIA actually finding the program

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #57 TifosiUSA, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    McLaren didn't let them look at their code either. Bottom line is the rules were changed abruptly and I think there is a good chance lots of teams had code from last year buried in there.

Let me know when you find it, or when you remember those other incidents where Rubens was faster and moved over for MS :D

There is still zero proof this was ever used. Lots of anecdotal proof that has already been posted of the poor starts etc. that don't match up with the conspiracies. Schumacher was just a beast, had Senna known how good he really was or what he would eventually become he probably wouldn't have griped. At the time he was just annoyed he was being smoked by this young gun in what was supposed to be the year he returned to WDC glory (after the move to powerhouse Williams). It wasn't happening and he was pissed. Sort of funny after he dumped McLaren due to, according to you, "knowing there was no way a Ford engine could beat Williams" :D

Anyway, fun debate, helped my afternoon go by quick :)

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes there were few times when RB was in front any made to let him through BUT there were many times while he was running second that he purposely was made to lap slower than possible to ensure MS would win the race, ie. hold the rest of the field up to improve pitstop strategies.

Yes this is ensuring you win the important WDC, but I always felt ripped off that Ferrari would not let MS race RB AND the rest of the field.

I'm amazed that you guys are so blinkered. Yes MS was good but he was not perfect and often crumbled under pressure. By far his best years were before he won the WDC for Ferrari.

In regards to Senna, he bought the "as long as I win it does not matter how" dirty driving to F1, MS copied it and as the FIA were weak in response to this I do not blame him. Part of the problem is the cars had become too safe.

Unfortunately Senna and MS had freak accidents :(
    Pete

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    #59 racerx3317, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

He already knew how good he was. I don't believe for one second that the Benetton was legal. Secondly MS beat him fair and square in Brazil but he was taken out at the first corner in Aida and we all know what happened at Imola. He wasn't exactly getting smoked, lol. There was an interview with an engineer in which he said it would have only taken a couple minutes to get rid of the code so take that for what you will. McLaren could have been cheating too. They needed all the help they could get that year, lol

I'm done with work now too, have a good one...;)

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    None of these guys are choir boys. Senna taking out Prost in 1990 was inexcusable. Should have been excluded from the standings that year IMHO. Champions aren't supposed to mentally fold the way Senna did that day. MS was rightfully excluded in 1997. Weird but senna was always mentally shaky in Prost's presence imo.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yeah 2002 really sucked when he was on the podium every race of the season. No one has done it before or since. Pretty low quality year right there.

12. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    MS out qualified the entire field in Hungary one year by more than a second, including his team mate.

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I agree, he was dead wrong that day. The reasoning was that Balestre was out to screw him by not changing pole to the other side like they agreed to before qualy. I don't see how that's justification for possibly killing Prost and himself. Easily his lowest moment.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :), true but the F2002 was by far the best car on the grid so he did not have to drive as well as he did in earlier years.

The F2002 and F2004 were probably the best cars Ferrari Spa ever built!
    Pete

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Probably the best cars anyone ever built!!!!

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    True. Also they had the Bridgestones pretty much exclusively. Talk about a stacked deck..:)

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed. But still to be on the podium every race is a titanic achievement. No mistakes the entire year. Even with as dominant as Merc has been neither driver has come close to doing that.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep.

We are currently in a very low period of driver ability in F1. This was inevitable with Bernie's focus on profits only over sport and the drivers having to be "speech makers, marketable commodities, etc." Just imagine the talent that has been unable to get to F1 ... sigh

Yes there are some talent out there, such as Alonso, Button, Verstappin, Riciardo, etc. but they are hampered by a weaker car.

Yes Nicole and Elton can be fast but the brainless accidents they have got themselves involved in is not fitting of a WDC, especially when no other car in the field can challenge them ... IMO.
    Pete

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The 248 looked so twitchy in the wet. It could barely be driven straight while the Renault looked like a materclass product. SO much grip.

I rewatched the 1996 Spanish GP again few days ago. The b8lls Schumacher had...