vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please | Page 4 | FerrariChat

vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, Oct 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I got my Komodo Sports today. I like these better then the Trek KSO's I have. Easier to get on and more comfortable. Haven't run in them yet, just walked around the house so far.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've had the Merrell Trail Gloves since Friday. Very comfy. I don't need to fight with my toes so much like the VFF classics or KSOs I have. I dig these for an all around, not so flashy shoe. Ran a few miles in them yesterday and ran two miles in a triathlon today. They held up great, worked very well. I just hope they stand the test of time and durability. I'm hard on shoes!

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #78 Schatten, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Merrell Trail Gloves vs. True Gloves.

The trail gloves are intended for a bit more rocky surfaces, but the soles are the same. The toe is a little more reinforced on the trail gloves. The difference in how they fit to me was in the toe box. On the trail gloves, it isn't laced as far down as the true gloves, which allowed my toes to expand a bit further. Yes, even with various lace adjustments. Only iffy thing about these shoes are the strange grey/silver mesh that makes the shoes a little more loud than I'd prefer, and the yellow lace attachments, which have a strange gradient of yellow hues. But that's being picky. Functionality wise, they work very well if you don't want the attraction of the VFF's, or if you don't want to fuss with getting your toes into their little slots in the VFFs.

You can read up on some reviews at www.birthdayshoes.com - which also has lots of Vibram information too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah, I originally wanted the TrailGloves, and not FiveFingers, but they just didn't fit me quite right. So I got the Minimus Trails and I liked them, but I really deep down wanted VFFs, so I took the NBs back. Let us know how they go!

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #80 Schatten, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I got my Komodo's through this sale. I've never once have had a problem with REI.

7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I just bought a pair of Komodo Sports from REI. I had been running completely barefoot and going to the gym in flip flops. Just completed my first run in them, love it. I don't ever want to wear "normal" shoes again!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ghey.

:p

9. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon
    VFF's and the barefoot running style (no heel strike) was an absolute game changer for me. Knee issues... gone. Back pain... gone. Shin splints... gone. Cannot say enough good things about the VFF's. I have three pairs now... :)

10. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Follow up on the VFF Komodo Sports...

I have been wearing these shoes pretty much nonstop since I bought them. I used to have issues running, couldn't run more than a mile before I was totally winded. It never made sense to me, as I considered myself a fit individual. I could round trip 15-20 miles on a mountain bike, swim, lift, but couldn't run. I ran around barefoot for years as a kid, but running in my mid twenties sucked.

Going barefoot changed everything for me. It was a kick in the nuts for the first few months. As my ligaments, tendons and muscles adjusted to the new stresses I suffered. First it was top of foot pain (never strap the shoes tightly!) followed by ankle pain and some bruising. Then it was screaming calf soreness. Then it was shin-splints.

I pushed through it because I could feel the positive changes in my body. My balance improved tremendously. My feet and arches began to strengthen. I also began to bleed off muscle mass as I ran more frequently. Running barefoot is just a great experience. It feels great, when I started I could feel the balls of my feet expand as they struck the pavement. Really amazing. Your efficiency improves something like 10-15% because you eliminate heel strikes.

The newfound cardio really helps in the gym, I can lift longer and it just feels better, fresher. And squatting in the shoes is crazy and intense, feels much more targeted. I'm working towards a balance of running and lifting, 3 days running, 3 days lifting, 1 day yoga.

For the record my max distance is up to 6 miles at a 9:30 pace, and I just returned home from a 3 mile, 7:30 pace.

Anyone out there on the fence, I highly recommend the shoes. Before I started using them I watched a ton of videos on YouTube regarding form. A friend of mine bought some minimus New Balance, ran 10 miles and stress fractured her foot that day. Don't be that guy! Use them responsibly and you will love them.

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Impressive. Kudos on the effort and the results.

12. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Thanks. Because of my work schedule (mostly) and the running, I went from 235 to 215. 90% of the weight loss was pure muscle mass, so the challenge now is to put at least 15 back on and keep the cardio. The diet is the toughest commitment, but gotta do it.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007

MUSCLE MILK!!!!!!!!!

:D

14. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Wow Clint! Thank you for posting and congrats on the improvement. I've always struggled with my running and considered the VFF might be helpful. However, when I tried a pair on they were terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps I should give them another try?

Any resources on how to effectively, and without injury, break them in?

15. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon

Unless you have changed the way you run (no heel strikes)... they will do more harm than good...

16. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Have multiple pairs. Wear them everywhere, gym, hiking, running (did a marathon in them a couple of years ago) I'll never go back to anything else. There's different schools of thought on them, one of which is that, simply put, your foot is designed to act like a spring. Some believe that by adding extra support (i.e. orthotics and padded shoes) you're simply weakening that spring by not allowing all of the muscles in your foot to work properly. There's also research that the movement that running shoes allow with the added padding can increase instability in your knees and hips (more injuries). Not saying one is right or the other is wrong, but I've had great success with them and I'd peddle them to anyone :)

17. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
  18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I bought a set of VFF pretty early on. They are worthless, IMO.

19. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I just started trail running in preparation for a Tough Mudder. I got some NB Nimbus (1010's) and so far love them.

I need some new shoes for non-trail runs and am going to give some of the street Nimbus sneakers a try.

I was hesitant to go with the lighter, barefoot style, shoes because I had always worn Asics Gels and Nike Airs - but so far don't miss the extra padding those sneaks offer.

20. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I feel like that is part of my problem. Earlier this year I was working with a personal trainer and she felt that I had a good running form. I think that I land too heavy and more so on my heal. The employees at the stores where I buy my running shoes all feel that I have a distinct pronation. The only shoes that are comfortable are my new balance, but they are very conventional. So I just wonder if the vibrams will help improve my gait and ultimately my endurance? And, what is the best way to work into them?

21. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Take a look at the wear pattern on the heals of your running shoes. If there is more wear on the lateral (outside) portion of the heal it indicates subtalar pronation. The more wear on the outside of the heal the more pronation you have. This is typically fixed with good orthotics. The best over the counter orthotics I have found are made by superfeet and are available at REI. Of course the best would be to have custom orthotics made for your specific activity.

The reason for excessive outside heal wear is your body knows it will pronate during mid-stance and try's to correct this by landing on the outside of the heal. Do not listen to most personal trainers. They do not have the expertise and knowledge to properly diagnose an improper gait pattern.

It is not a coincidence that new balance shoes work for you. They have been known to have the best arch support. One other thing... If you are a pronator you want a shoe that is less flexible to twisting motions and the opposite for people who supinate (very low population of supinators)

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #97 GordonC, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    Orthotics are counter to the whole theory behind minimalist shoes - locking the foot into a rigid position and support undo all the alleged benefits of minimalist shoes. The point of going minimalist, gradually, is to build up the natural strength in the arch, foot, ankle, calf, so that you don't need the extra support of orthotics or giant stability cushions.

I don't mean to dismiss your experience and knowledge, but am recognizing the different philosophy behind the minimalist movement.

SuperJ, to benefit from minimalist, you can't be landing on your heels at all - you have to re-invent your stride to be landing mid-foot, no heel strike at all. Heel contact does happen, but at the same time or milliseconds after the mid-foot. Instead of reaching forward with your leading foot and landing on the heel, you have to use a much shorter stride and land the mid-foot under your center of gravity instead of landing the heel in front of it. The gradual requirement is that you have to build up your foot, ankle, and calf strength gradually to adapt to the different style, but it does result in stronger feet and calves and much less impact on your heel and joints when you get it working.

Some pronation is normal and fine - almost all of the minimalist runners have some pronation. The wear patterns on the shoes of a minimalist runner will show no wear on the heel, then a "landing" (first point of contact) on the outside of the mid-foot, and wear diagonally across to the ball of the foot, consistent with pronation.

For reference - after 1.5 years of terrible plantar fasciitis pain where I couldn't run at all, the PF finally receded and when I took up distance running I switched to minimalist shoes, 3 years ago. I've run 5 marathons since, the last 3 in the New Balance Minimus MR10 (last year's Road shoe), and all my runs shorter than 3 hours are in the newer, more minimalist MR00. I don't have any foot pain or issues even after the marathon - I'm not fast, my new PR a week ago in the Victoria Marathon was 4:38. I'm going to run the Honolulu Marathon in December, and am seriously considering doing the whole race in the MR00. Along with not being fast, I'm not young or light either! 53 yrs old, 5' 10" and 195 lbs, down 20 lbs from 3 years ago when I finally could start working out again. The minimalist running has worked out really well for me.

23. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Gordon,

I do not disagree with your assessment one bit and actually you are correct. Our bodies were not designed to wear any shoes. Wearing shoes has led to decreased strength of the musculature that provides support to the arch as well as the ankle. Correcting this to some degree is the point of the minimalist thought.

My point of informing SuperJ about orthotics was To provide her with another option and to not always take personal trainers word as gospel. Some do provide good information but not always.

One way to help strengthen the intrinsic foot muscles that support the arch is to stand barefoot, curl your toes and then lean forward to the point you are about to fall over and hold that position. You should feel muscle activity in the bottom of your foot.

24. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Gordon, About two years ago I was jogging on some rough cobblestones and felt something in my heel. The next day I could barely walk but strangely I could run. The pain got worse and I too was diagnosed with PF. Next thing I knew I was getting shots in the foot, wearing a giant boot at night, moving my orthotics between my shoes and wearing expensive orthopedic flip-flops around the house. I asked the doc how long until I get cured...he said years if I was lucky. Then I read "Born To Run." Boot and orthotics went in the trash and I bought expensive minimalist shoes. I was committed but the pain was still present although diminished. Then I read "The Divided Mind" by Dr Sarno (I had already read his book "healing Back Pain" years before and eliminated my back problems.) Although I still run in expensive minimalist shoes, I can run in anything including the shoes I was wearing when the trouble started. I don't worry about heel strikes, shoe types, or road surface. I just run as if nothing was ever wrong with me (and I am convinced there never was.)

Glad to hear you are back running. No way for you to go back in time and experiment, but I think the med profession has this all wrong and is robbing people of their health.

Dave

25. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I bought a pair of vibrams and I am enjoying them. I am trying to break them in fairly slowly by just walking and not running (any real distance anyway yet). Definitely feeling it in my calves and a bit up into my hamstrings. My only real complaint is they are RUINING my pedicure. The calluses around my big toes and the inside ball of my foot look terrible!

Please tell me my feet will adjust and I will be able to wear cute shoes again. :)