vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please | Page 3 | FerrariChat

vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, Oct 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Schatten,
    good to read of your progress.

Your girlfriend might want to look over the Terra Plana website (vivobarefoot line). It's UK-based, so I think you will have to jump through some hoops to get them, but you should be able to.

Forcing the toes outwards as the vibrams do is a good thing. She can look into getting toe stretchers and using them for five minutes a day for a couple of months. It is good to get the toes to spread out after a lifetime of being squished together in shoes. The other aspects of fitting, such as narrow feet, etc.-- you will have to figure those out with straps, etc. But toes should be spread out--that is what nature intended.

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree. And I'll look into the shoes you suggest. I'm also waiting on the NB Minimus shoes coming out in March. She has a narrow foot, and even with the correct size on the Vibrams, for her pinky toe to reach to the outside, there's a steak knife's width to go before her feet would make it. She suffers from plantar fasciitis, and between you and I, even great running shoes and custom molded inserts from her podiatrist seem to be the cause of the problem. Fad or not, she should at least try out the minimalist way.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #53 Schatten, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's my next update on VFF's.

I've been training over the past month in cold nights, especially when it rains to prepare for the Tough Mudder (www.toughmudder.com) run - 10 miles, lots of mud, lots of obstacles. A few nights, I ran with my Nike Triax (properly fitted for my running style). A few days later, shin splints! Damn. They hurt. I took a few weeks off and went back to VFFs. No problems there, but I had to take it easy for a while, working my way back up, and watching out for agitating the shin splints. But... no problems. All that training, in the cold, and what happens this weekend? 70+ degree weather! It got up to 80 yesterday and clear skies! Sunblock was my friend!

Yesterday, I ran the Tough Mudder. It was... tough. I couldn't do it with normal shoes. I know that! I only rolled my ankle one time, and that was a first, but it was in the mud. In normal running shoes, I would have rolled them many times. Lots of great grip, lots of great balance, and the ability to run 10 miles (well, with obstacles and walking part of the way too). If you have any questions about the obstacles, the event itself, ask away! It's fantastic and in comparison to the Warrior Dash... well, that's just a dash, and in hindsight, the Warrior Dash felt like a 40 yard dash compared to the Tough Mudder.

There were others that were in VFFs, but not a majority. Talking with one guy during the run, with his bad knees (thin, avg height, and not even 30 yet!), he cannot wear any other shoes besides the VFFs.

The event only suffered on casualty, at least for me. My Yoda, which ran for me during the Warrior Dash and this event, only lasted one mile. He was ripped off by wire & barbed wire, so I carried him along the way. He was more of a mascot to the people around me, always making sure Yoda would make it through each obstacle. This event is about team work, more than individualism. Each of the obstacles are built in such a way, you cannot do the majority of them on your own, you must have help. Yoda was just another individual who needed to be part of a team. However, when I got to around mile 7, and was about to do one obstacle, I walked around the obstacle, sat him down next to one of the spotters, went back and did the obstacle, but by that time... he was gone. Apparently some kid or something took him. I'm not sad, but would have liked to see him finish. I figure, when the kid's mother sees a plush Yoda soaked in about a pound of mud, she will throw him out. Or maybe he'll be washed and inspire the kid.

I started out clean, with clean shoes, and ended up like I did in the last picture - covered in dirt, with a tan of mud so bad... I could have auditioned for Jersey Shore. The shoes were washed off by the hose and thrown into the washing machine - clean as they were when I bought them.

The "thank you do512.com" on my leg is a note to www.do512.com, who entered me into this event.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    shouls all toes fit snugly into each slot?

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    No.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Like Evolved said, no, but not really. They should feel snug, but some of my smaller toes don't quite fill the areas. They also don't end up with blisters either. If you opt for the injinji socks, it will provide only minimal cushion, might fill some possible blister gaps, but the shoes will fit exactly the same.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #58 4re Nut, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    Randy,

Great stuff; thanks for the writeup on the events...might be a bit of motivation for me. Love the Yoda!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x51EIXjhiEU[/ame]

A week or so ago a friend sent me a link for the Warrior Dash event near me. I hadn't heard of it and then I see your post. I'd like to do it but I'm too cheap to spend the $50 or $60 and that gets you just one beer ticket. The only reason I do 5 and 10Ks is to rationalize drinking unlimited amounts of "free" beer before noon. :D

Back on topic...

I'd like to try (my apologies Master Yoda) them, but I have several bad hammertoes and VFFs don't appear to be a good fit for that condition.

Saw this Thursday night; watch the whole clip...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pQioocfTjU[/ame]

9. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Got the new Five Finger Komodo Sports in last week... had them pre-ordered for a month or so. I own the sprints, KSO, and Bikila and they are by FAR the best I've used. More comfortable, seemingly more durable (they have addressed all the major wear points) and I slide less in them when doing quick direction changes.

Highly recommended.

10. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I just saw those on their website and didn't know anything about them. When my KSO Treks wear out, I'll have to look into the Komodos. They look really cool.

11. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Haha I love Parks and Rec!

My left 'shoe' has a nub at the end of the seam on the inside of the big toe, and it's rubbing and bothering me. Anyone know how I can get this out?

12. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So I'm thinking about jumping on the VFF bandwagon. I like the Bikilia LS, however I'm going to check out Merrell's new line of barefoot shoes. I would go full VFF, however they aren't allowed for PT tests in the Army and I don't really want to train in a shoe I won't be able to take the test in. I might though, for the other 364 days a year I can use them.

13. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've worn both for PT tests, and the Merrell Trail Glove is great. The VFF is essentially a training aid that forces you to run with proper technique, and should be viewed as such. I still wear regular running shoes for longer runs (10+ miles), but I run with the same form I do in the VFF's. To be honest, I tend to alternate between the Merrells and the VFFs and don't notice a ton of difference in my performance, although my VFF Komodos are more comfortable.

14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Interesting you wore them on PT tests. I read here that they weren't allowed. http://birthdayshoes.com/u-s-army-outlaws-vibram-five-fingers
    I'm heading to Rucker to start IERW, so I don't know what the CG will and won't allow.

Anyway, I'm going tomorrow to try them both on. I'm leaning towards the trail gloves so the wife will actually walk next to me and not 10 ft behind like she said she would if I got VFFs.

15. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's up to the individual commands, and where I work, the commanders don't really care too much about uniform standards. Also, I typically just do PT tests with a buddy when they come up where we feel like running that day.

16. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Gotcha, well I'm not sure what Rucker's policy is but i'm still considering them.

I went to the store today and tried on VFF Kimodosports, NB Minimus Trails, and Merrell Trail Gloves.

When I stand, my feet kind of fall over towards the middle, but its not that noticible. In the VFF when i walked, I didn't notice it that much and with the Minimus Trails, my feet seemed to look normal. However in the Trail Gloves, my foot looked to roll inward very bad.

My question is what is right and normal for a minimist shoe? Since my foot when standing and walking does roll in naturally, is the Minimus wrong and the Merrells and VFF correct?

I hope my question is clear enough. Just want to make sure I get the right shoes.

BTW, the toebox seemed huge in the Merrells, the Minimus Trail a bit tighter, and the Minumus Road I didn't like at all as there seemed to be a hump in the arch section.

17. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If your foot rolls inward, it rolls inward. That heavy pronation is the result of years of wearing corrective stability shoes. Don't worry about your biomechanics... they will only improve with a minimalist shoe, regardless of type. Don't great wrapped around that axle when choosing a minimalist shoe. Pick the one that is the most comfortable and that you like the best.

18. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, bought the NB Minimus Trail, but didn't liek them after walking around at the house. Ended up with the new VFF KomodoSports in black.

19. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    What do you think of the KomodoSports?

20. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Only had them on since lunch, but its definitely an interesting feeling. I do like them, they are so very soft and comfy inside. I like the heel strap adjustability.

21. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    For the price of them, I'd demand an exchange for a non-flawed pair. Certainly, that nub cannot be intended.

22. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    Fil has their version of these out for $60, has anyone tried these yet?

23. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    With REI 20% off + dividend, I ordered a pair of the Merrell Trail Gloves, cause I want the minimalist form, but the gf isn't keen on the VFF silly shoes look. I dig em, but they also need to be washed quite a bit.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22875M/0/Mens/Barefoot-Trail-Glove?dimensions=0

Do you still have the Minimus Trails? I haven't tried them out yet, but would like to if the Merrells don't fit the bill.

24. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Backordered VFF Komodo Sports today via REI. Last for the the members 20% off coupon. After using my dividend from last year they cost me a whopping $16.32 out of pocket.

25. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Awesome! I'm really loving the Komodos more and more. Just did a sprint workout in them tonight and they really feel great. I can tell my stride is shorter, but faster which is just like when I run barefoot.

I didn't keep the NB Minimus. I liked them a lot, but only wanted to pay for one pair of shoes right now. I preferred them over the Merrils, but both are great.