vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please | FerrariChat

vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, Oct 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    anybody try the five fingers shoes for working out? input b 4 i buy please.
    ed

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  3. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Way too weird-looking for me. Just another marketing ploy to sell them, IMHO.

I'll run in my Nikes.

4. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #4 Zack, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    No it's not a marketing ploy to sell. It's designed to allow your toes to move independently, as nature intended. The minimal padding is to encourage you to run on the balls of your feet and thereby prevent the injuries that are common to runners who wear conventional shoes and end up landing on their heels because of the excessive cushioning there.

5. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    #5 cyclisto, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    ...but the 5finger look is not for me. However, if the Kenyans, ironman triathletes, start breaking records AND reeling in the hotties while wearing those ridiculous abominations, well then, I'm all ears. ;-)

Out of curiosity, why do they call them 5 "fingers?" instead of 5 "toes?"

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I am sure the CEO of Vibram is crying himself to sleep over losing your business. When he's done sobbing, I am equally sure his first priority will be to get in touch with you to explain the product names.

7. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    No need to get all defensive man. Why not post some photos of you and your beloved simian 5 fingers to ramp up sales?

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    got one ...

fine for "normal" use ... (read - smooth roads)

anything else, use proper trainers ...

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Beloved? Where do you get that from? Just because I don't like your boorish blanket statements doesn't mean I love them. But I know what their benefits are. Nothing is stopping you from reading and discovering it for yourself. And there are plenty of pictures on the web. Google...heard of it?

I run barefoot. I am sure you think that's a horrible thing to do. So don't.

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    For working out as in lifting weights? Definitely not recommended.

For running? Definitely recommend. Your form will improve and you will avoid knee and hip/back problems down the road. The reason is, modern shoes cushion the heel excessively, causing us to alter our gait and land on the heel. This sends impact forces right up through the knees and into the hip area, which are not designed to absorb impact forces traveling vertically. What they are designed to do is articulate, same as your ankle.

When you run with vibrams, you will end up running on the balls of your feet and your heels will barely kiss the ground. This causes the ankle to flex, and then the knees, changing the vertical impact forces into rotational motion of your ankle and knee joints, which your muscles can control and decelerate to absorb the impact forces correctly. People with flat arches have noticed their feet forming the arch over time (sometimes the foot has gone down by two arches because the body formed the arch in response to this running style), and their calves and quads getting much stronger.

Obviously you will need to build up your thigh and calf muscles, so you should start off with smaller distances on softer surfaces such as grass, trails, or rubberized running tracks. Give it a few months and build up and you will notice the difference. It is how nature intended for your feet and legs to work.

If you find the Vibrams too weird, then Nike Free shoes and the converse ones with the minimal flat soles are the way to go. In general, look for shoes that don't pad the heel too much, and that don't have all sorts of cupped and arched supports and constrain your feet from pronating and supinating freely. Unless you have a medical condition to begin with, of course. In general, what nature intended should not be restricted--or you are likely to damage something or the other.

There is some good information in Born To Run, by Christopher McDougal.

I hate writing all this out only to have some idiot come on and say "It's too weird" or "It feels wrong" or "I run and have never had a problem" or something.

11. live2boutside

live2boutside Rookie

Feb 1, 2008
    sorry to go slightly off topic, but would you guys say that the Vibram five fingers are a step closer to barefoot running than the "Newtons" that I hear alot about lately? i run in mizunos and am currently recovering from a partial achilles rupture. the doc keeps pushing the "Newton" concept, and i have to say that i might try them. i volunteered at the finish line of a marathon/half marathon last weekend, and i did see several runners wearing the Vibram five fingers.

12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #12 Zack, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    You'd have to try it for yourself. The company does acknowledge that the most efficient and anatomically correct method of running is barefoot, so they are on the right track. But from looking at the shoe, I suspect one could continue to land on the heels.

This is not only bad for you but also slows you down, as you end up decelerating on each landing before accelerating again.

You might want to google the Pose Method and also download the free book by Gordon Pirie's grandson. Plenty of info on wiki and elsewhere on the web.

With your achilles injury, you should start off extra slow. Do half miles or one miles at a moderate pace for a good two weeks beyond the time you feel you can handle it, and increase in half mile increments, each time maintaining that distance and pace for two weeks beyond the time you feel comfortable. When you get to 5-6 miles, you can be confident that your achilles is as strong as anyone else's.

13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #13 Zack, Oct 6, 2010
    Just read what I wrote yesterday...and the following
    should actually read:

People with flat arches have noticed their feet forming the arch over time (sometimes the foot has gone down by two sizes because the body formed the arch in response to this running style),​

14. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Why do people that wear 5finger/crocs sound like Jesus-freak-zealots? EdwardGTS asked for opinions: "vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please" and I gave him mine. You took offense and, as in your posting history, start spouting off on your soap-box rants.

I am an endurance athlete and know people like you. Dare I say "attention whore?" There will always be a running Elvis, Crocs-wearing-marathoner, and 5finger/barefoot maverick who loves to stand out and be the center of attention. Have at it man. I don't need the benefits of looking like a buffoon, but it's a free country.

15. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #15 Zack, Oct 6, 2010
    I can hardly be a zealot if I don't use them, can I? Simple logic. You also asked me to ramp up sales by displaying pictures of my beloved vibrams. What part of "I don't use them" do you not get? And 5-finger wearers or barefoot runners are not mavericks, they are fairly mainstream worldwide, and becoming increasingly common in the US as well. Certainly in the running community they are not regarded as mavericks. You really have a bizarre, twisted perception about it all.

You also mentioned reeling in hotties as being one of your criteria...a little insecure in the trouser department?

If you don't want the benefits of looking like a buffoon, why do you insist on being one?

You don't like them? Cool. You won't wear them? Cool. You think they look [too] weird? Cool. Where do you get that I am taking offense? I am merely pointing out their benefits, and I don't agree that they are [too] weird looking. Unconventional, different, sure. Weird? IMO, no.

Again, I don't use them. Please don't keep insisting that I do. It makes you look like you can't understand simple, written English. Like a buffoon.

16. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    #16 cyclisto, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    According to your posting and photo, you wear these???

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273345&highlight=vibram

Those are quite awesome-looking. My apologies...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #17 Zack, Oct 6, 2010
    Excellent detective work. You know how to use the search function. The posting you have referenced said that once I had built up my calluses, for long distance running, I might go to the sandals. Since then, however, I have repeatedly said that I run barefoot. Simply refer to the posts earlier in this thread.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and comprehension ability would take that to mean I run barefoot.

Again, I run barefoot. That means no sandals. Or vibrams. Or boots. Or sneakers. Or snowshoes. Or rollerblades. Or skis. Or anything else you can strap on or slip over or attach to your feet in any way.

That means I don't run in the sandals pictured.

Again, I run barefoot.

Google for a picture and the definition of barefoot, if you need to.

I wrote in small sentences to make it easy for you.

Now do you mind not hijacking the thread? I thought you didn't want the benefits of looking like a buffoon?

18. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    "...I plan to run long distance races in Huarache sandals like these."

They're awesome. Where can I get a pair?

19. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #19 Zack, Oct 6, 2010
    Were you born a retard or have you just been working on it your whole life?

Planning to = maybe. Not definite. And in my case, I didn't go on to run in the sandals. At least, I haven't yet. This is abundantly clear from my posts. At least, it is if you have an ounce of common sense and comprehension ability. So, why would I know where to get them? And why can't you google for it yourself? Because you want to act like a complete and utter tool and make a nuisance of yourself? Nice.

Now, do you mind not hijacking the thread? I thought you didn't want the benefits of looking like a buffoon?

20. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  21. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What is your reasoning behind this? All of the high-end weight training coaches I have worked with recommend lifting barefoot... which most gyms won't allow. Before the VFF, most people I knew trained wearing flat soled shoes with as little cushion as possible (i.e. Chuck Taylors).

I absolutely prefer Olympic lifting with VFF's to anything else I've tried, especially squats and deadlifts. The amount of extra balance that is allowed by having full toe mobility while deep squatting makes for a MUCH safer lift.

22. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    You are of course correct, but most gyms don't allow it for what they cite as safety reasons...even though one would most likely do the same damage through any set of sneakers. I had a friend turned away from a gym when he showed up in Vibrams to do weight lifting.

If there are no restrictions where you lift, go for it!

23. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Dude you are way too angry. Ever hear of "runner's high?" :)

Peace out, m'man.

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Angry, who's angry?

I am just curious, but it doesn't really matter if you answer my question or not. Answer's self-evident either way and it's best if you refrain from hijacking this thread any further.

25. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Relax, man. Sorry if I offended you by expressing my opinions. I'm slightly intrigued with your barefoot running. Tell me, do you run on pavement? How far?

Do some people use the 5finger for marathons?

I know, I know....Google, right?