Veyron Supersports top speed: 267 mph - How long will it stay? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Veyron Supersports top speed: 267 mph - How long will it stay?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by DriveAfterDark, Jul 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It ran out of gas before it finished a lap;)

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    sooner or later, someone WILL make one to claim the trophy ...

the mute point that remains is that it will ALWAYS remain a "technical spec" ... it can NEVER be used anywhere, save for one or MAYBE two places in the world.

so will godzillion dollars be spent for bragging rights?

probably ...

3. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I can see Bugatti building a car under the Veyron to be more racy and driver focused. The Veyron itself is billed as the greatest grand tourer of all time, not so much as a vehicle designed to be tracked.

_J

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This car has taken longer to come to production than almost any modern car ever produced.

They started with a clean sheet design... and it is over complicated. Look at the McF1 for example. it too was a clean sheet... two very different directions.

Also, the engine broke virtually no new ground. Sure its large and has 4 turbos... but there is nothing to write home about the engine or the turbos. Sure it made lots of power and that is ultimately what broke new ground... but many "tuner" cars have done this over and over... and the overall hp/liter is nothing special either. The only impressive thing about the car is the over engineering involved to overcome the rest of the design flaws/over-engineering.... they swam upstream and it accomplished everything... I just think they did it the most difficult way possible while braking no new ground technologically.

again, I really don't like this car... and I should probably stop beating a dead horse and let the others enjoy the car.

To each there own I say!

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    With all the statistics and record breaking production car numbers aside, what ground do you think should have been broken?

_J

6. nikkis34

nikkis34 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 17, 2004
    SF
    Full Name:
    M. K. Nijjer
    So the veyron is a modern day Edsel.

7. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd go with modern day Deusenberg.

_J

8. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    And I'll take a Dusey.

Granted the F1 was a clean sheet, as was the Bugatti, but that is where the similarities end.

The McLaren was designed to be the closest thing to a street legal / passenger carrying F1 car, and its design displayed that. The Bugatti was designed to be the ultimate touring car, and its design shows it. While the F1 had no stereo, no airbags, and barely functioning amenities, the Veryon has it all, from surround sound, to heated seats.

I do not think that they should be compared, because there is NO comparison.

As far as the claim that Bugatti "broke no new ground", I call B.S.
    Who else is running a 16 cylinder engine? Much less a W block 16 cylinder?

The W block engines were an amazing ground breaker, granted Bugatti did not design and test, VW did, but an achievement none the less.
    Thank VW for using tech from the only production single head V6. (VR6)

As far as tuners go. Yes, there are tuned cars making more power, (I know several personally), but yet, none of them can even touch the Veryon on speed.

Why?

Physics.

Something VW was willing to spend time and money overcoming, while the tuned cars may slap on a wing, or front air dam, and call it good.

To my knowledge, SW has the only tuned street car in TX that can even come close, and it is no where near street drivable. Not as a daily.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Incorrect. The F1 had a bespoke stereo that was made by kenwood and it was made to a specific weight. And as far as amenities it certainly has what is necessary. Besides air bags weren't all that common in 1993... Hell the car even seats 1 more person than a veyron... plus it has more luggage space than the veyron.

You are right they are both clean sheets designs... one ended up weighing 2513lbs... made 627hp which is 550hp per ton... and it had a drag coefficient of .32 and a top speed of 240mph on standard road car tires...

The veyron... weighs 1600 lbs more... makes 1001 hp from 16 cylinders (you mentioned who else had a 16 cylinder car??? check out cars from the 30s...) and 4 turbos. has a worse coefficient of drag... worse power to weight...

as far as the VR6 design... it actually is a poor and inefficient design which is why no one but VW uses them. The V12 is a much better design as it is naturally balanced and will have less loss from friction. The 16 cylinder engine should put out far more power than what it does... but ill let that slide.

Concerning tunner cars... I am well aware of SW and the entire supra community as I have helped build a Supra that runs 8s. I have been to the track here in arizona when SW has shown up... I know who guilly, saad, tozer, Woon etc... are and know some of those guys personally...but guess what... none of that matters as it has nothing to do with this topic. and as far as cars being fast as the veyron... take SWs lambo for example... no problem being faster than a veyron... take any of those guys gallardos who run a motec... take any well built (underground) Ford GT... take a underground viper... all of those cars are street cars and will hand a veyron its ass...

I will say it is impressive what the car has achieved. I like that they worked so hard... but all I am saying is they didn't have to work so hard... it was an ill conceived design from the start... starting with a bad engine, a bad shape and an overweight car. That car could be twice as good as it is.

Again, you are from the veyron camp... and I am not... but to each there own.

You are absolutely right... they couldn't be more different. The veyron was always fighting an uphill battle. They had to engineer around problems. With the McF1 the engineers specifically made everything exactly to there liking. Hell the headers cost more to make than the engine...

10. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Reading this thread is like watching The Three Stooges slap each other in a circle...

_J

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We exist only to amuse you.
    ;)

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL...

I know I know... Ill be 100% honest... this car really irritates me. Thats the only reason why I have pursued the topic. It is one of the things that gets under my skin... my pet peeve if you will... I should have just let it go... but for some reason I feel like its my "duty" (LOL lame i know, but I can poke fun at myself) I just feel that this car is put up on a false pedestal... why it bothers me so much... dunno... but good "arguments" are always good for the brain.

13. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    What's with all these Veyron haters ? :confused:

they should go design and build their own cars and the rest of us will praise

in the meantime their rant plain sucks

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Feel free to take your ball and go home;)
    I won't speak for anyone else but what disappoints me most about the Veyron is not that its a bad car (it certainly isn't) but that a chance to built a truly ground-breaking design was missed.
    No need to be defensive.

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    agreed 100%

Its not that the veyron is a bad car, its a very good car. It accomplished some amazing things. But I PERSONALLY do not feel it deserves the pedestal it has been placed upon. Its really not as good and amazing as many people say. If you just do some research you will soon learn. It is good... but to call it a masterpiece or anything even close to that is a little off.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IMVHO the Veyron is more about the numbers (fastest etc.) than anything else. When that's what you hang your hat on one someone's bound to come along and knock it off. The McLaren F1 is more about the design and that sort of elegance doesn't fade.

17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Welcome to the thread.

Veyron was designed as the ultimate grand tourer. McLaren F1 was specifically designed from the inside out as a street going race car.
    Both accomplished their goal to the T and are respected for it.

But for some reason, people have a problem with the idea that the Veyron is to complicated despite that being an engineering focus.

_J

18. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I love the Veyron simply for it's Engineering magnificence, I have nothing against people who don't like the Veyron, but you can't argue against the fact that it's technical achievement is brilliant. If it wasn't for the Veyron no one would have ever made a car like that with that much power again. They only started because now they have a yard stick to beat.

I do agree that it isn't the prettiest car in the world though, but compared to the SSC..... well no comment.

19. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "We now return to the Ferrari Chat tennis match, sponsored by Bugatti. It seems that both competitors are doing their best John McEnroe impression, as neither of them are content with anything. The ball continues to go back and forth. We'll be right back after this..."

_J

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    one last shot across the court...

I don't think any engineer comes out and says... lets make this project exceedingly complicated... and when it all goes wrong... lets get the radiator count up to 14.

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The genesis of the project speaks for itself.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the Veryron is one of my favorite cars. It has the speed, look and name and its true to Ettore - excess in all areas.

The top speed is one thing, but the time it takes to get there, the sheer power and the ability to drive the car anywhere - any time is what makes it amazing.

Try driving an F-40 or Mclaren in hot Atlanta traffic... I dont think it would be much fun, but the Veryron keeps you cool and secure no sweat... I'd take one no questions!

23. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #73 VF1Skullangel, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    The Mclaren F1 held its record for a very long time and even today it's still the fastest naturally asperated car and during those days it was only rivaled by the Diablo and F50. Today it's still beats out most cars today including the ZR1, Nissan GTR and such by a long shot. The Dauer Lemans is still a very fast car to this day with just 710hp yet it puts up Veyron performance. If I recall Top Gear segment on the car it had a boost controller up to 20lbs.... lets crank it up. It also didn't have street tires instead it had slicks.

We have a 267mph Ford GT......IN THE STANDING MILE. That GT is capable of being faster if put on a longer track. There's also a 275mph Ferrari 288 GTO that does the bonneville salt flats so there's already some cars out there that can beat it.

It's very possible with the next generation of Supercars that we will be seeing even entry level Ferrari's and Lamborghini's surpassing the Jaguar XJ220's performance while their flagship cars will be well into base Veyron performance within the next 10 years. We have the SSC Ultimate Aero II coming out and the Enzo's replacement that could do it. If Mclaren decides to release a successor to the F1 you can bet the Veyron's Top Speed will be beaten.

Now as far as 300mph goes Id say we are roughly 30-40 years away. If the C.A.F.E law's however do go into effect we may never see 300mph cars ever.

24. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd like a Saturn V rocket with big ol' DUB's, son!

25. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    How can the veyron be made better if they were to redesign it from the ground up? I know weight is a big issue but what about on the design front? What type of design would allow the engineers to achieve the veyron's goals more easily?

I am really interested in the tech of the veyron and would like to know how it can be made simpler and more efficient while achieving the same horsepower and speed goals.