veyron has been driven by autobild german car magazine / nice pictures | FerrariChat

veyron has been driven by autobild german car magazine / nice pictures

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by alan, Aug 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
  2. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    1.16 million Euros? Nuts.
    You can buy 3 Carrera GTs for one overrated Veyron.

That car is a total piece of Junk.

3. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Come on man, piece of junk? Did you see the last 3 seconds of that video when the car took off at next to no throttle and looking like it was shot out of a cannon? It is not a piece of junk, it is just different.

4. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Overrated my ass!

try 0-300km/h in 17 seconds

5. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Ghost Rider's Busa does 0-300km/h in a little over 9 seconds.

6. chrislamborghiniatlanta

Dec 23, 2003
    Ironically, I just spoke with one of my clients that was at Pebble and he actually got to drive it!!! He did comment that the turning radius was a little bit lacking and that the car felt a little bit "heavy", but he said that it was so fast that he was overwhelmed. He said that the shifting was the smoothest of any car he had ever driven and yes he does own an Enzo before anyone asks. He really liked it and thought it was fabulous. It will be interesting to see what it is actually capable of on the street and in the marketplace.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    certainly the carrera gt is a better looking car that will probably easily beat the much heavier veryon on a track ..and the cgt will be a car that can be driven 20k miles a year trouble free, and its one third the price....the veryon is going to be a bragging rights car...the most hp and wildest ride...the question is, now many drivers can handle such a beast???

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    is it an f1 type tranny chris????

9. chrislamborghiniatlanta

Dec 23, 2003
    Yes it was. I was told that it has 2 seperate clutches also. There is a seperate clutch for the odd numbered gears and the even numbers gears and it is also a 7 speed.

10. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    It is a DSG transmission. Similar to that used by Audi and VW. I have driven a dsg equipped TT and I was impressed with the transmission. Shifts were incredibly smooth and fast as well.

11. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Amazing video! thanks for sharing

it amazes when I realize Veyron is not a raw superformance car oriented but a luxury comfortable coupe
    here's a pic of mine: (reply #7) http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66507

P.S. time has come to make statement about BUGATTI being at the top

those are 2 different Veyron in that vid right? like the 2nd better

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks, the dsg trannys get great reviews..i have never driven one....the audi tt has one and porsche may offer them soon on the 911 and boxsters

13. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    personally, id much rather get a konigsegg CCR...

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It will not hold it's value.There is no real demand for a 1.5 M usd veyron. Maybe all new Mac F1 could pull it of but this thing is not going to.It represent's Ferdinand Piech's ego trip.

15. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    At the moment, only the 997 Turbo will sport a "porsche version" of DSG(I forget the 'Porsche' name), and that might be a delayed option til the 2008 911 Turbo model year. (I would like to assume the 997 GT2 will have it as an option at launch, as the transmission is extremely quick and smooth.)

I think base 911's and Boxsters will be stuck with tiptronic for a few more years.

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ugly and bland styling.

17. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Yes IMHO it is a junk.

The car has been in magazines since 2002 claiming this and that and had problems all over. A 1989 Koenig Competition Evolution already make 1000ps. Veyron is loaded with so many unnecessary items. 16 cylinders? 12 is good enough. Why adding complexity, weight, etc?

Anything with 1000hp can go 0-300 really fast. Imagine an Ultima GTR with a TT Chevy V8 tuned to 1000hp (needs lots of chassis strengthening) but probably not very useable anyway.

Veyron is the ultimate in terms of numbers (16 cyl, 1001hp, 4wd, 7-speed, 400km/h, 1,1 million Euros, etc). Yeah, right, who wants to drive at 400 km/h ???

Definitely Piech's ego trip.

Good for posers who wants to drive around Monaco.
    ... or as an expensive penile extension :p

PS

18. sicqnus

sicqnus Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2005
    Paris - France
    Full Name:
    Cyril Chartier
    Top speed (homologated) : 407,00 KMH ( 253mph ).

100 liters per 100 km at high speeds...

It means the car needs 26 gallons of oil to make 62 miles at speeds above 155 mph. Quad turbos V16...
    - At full speed it only takes 12 mins. to empty the fuel tank...

- only the rear wing producess an decelleration of 0.6g when it flips up vertically when breaking at speeds exceeding 200 km/h
    - the tyre pressure sensors have to stand 2800g when the wheels are rotating at top speed
    - switching on the air conditions lowers the top speed by 5 km/h
    - each top speed run follows a cool down period and the speed is limied to 220 km/h at max. 5000 rpm in 4th gear
    - tyre pressure has to be raised to 3 bar before top speed mode can be enabled with the extra key
    - aquaplaning is a problem in the wet when there is more than just spray on the surface
    - 980 degrees Celsius is the exhaust temp at full speed
    - a top speed of 402 km/h at 6200 rpm in 6th gear were acheived in that test
    - launching it in first gear leaves two black and 25 meters long stripes on the tarmac even with Launch Control switchend on...

The engine produces 3000 hp. Only 1000 hp comes to the wheels( it needs 1000 to cool it. 1000 is lost as heat). Well, "only"...
    1000hbp : This car is obviously not for "Mickeys"...

0-100 km/h in 2.5 secs.
    0-200 km/h in 7.3 secs.
    0-300 km/h in 16.7 secs.
    300-0 km/h in less than 10 secs.

The man instrument with a range from 0 to 1001 shows the actual power available at the wheels. "It takes only 270 bhp to achieve a speed of 250 km/h," says technilcal director Wolfgang Schreiber, one of 3 people who have taken the 16/4 Veyron to its limits so far.

"The Veyron exceeds all expectations" added the engineer. The engine produces 3000 hp but it takes 1000 hp to cool it, another 1000 hp get lost by heat and gas emissions and the remaining 1001 bhp are available at the wheels.

1250 Nm from 2200 rpm, even in 3rd gear all 4 wheels would spin in the wet if the ESP would be switched off. "It is forgiving and easy to handle but deserves a lot of respect."

The arodyminc set-up, the relatiosnhsip between drag coeffiecient and downforce has to be changed completely to achieve a top speed of +400 km/h, the drag coefficent comes to Cw=0.36 and it produces nearly no downforce in front and just 40 kgs in rear.

In handling mode up to 375 km/h the wings and diffusors produce a downforce of 150 kgs in front and 200 kgs in rear. As the Mercedes SLR, the Veyron also comes with an air brake as the rear wng flips up vertically producing 300kgs of downforce at the rear and so an decellartion of 0.6g to come to halt.

The Veyron has 4 water coolers, 2 intercoolers for the turbos and two larger ones for the engine coolant. The ideal temperature to reach the top speed of 400 km/h is between 18 and 28 degrees Celsius. In city traffic, the rear wings flips up into cool-down position and the 16/4 Veyron is surrounded by clouds of heat, gas, dust and smell. The air is flickering as if the Veyron is a Fata Morgana.

The Veyron covers the whole range form 40 to 400 km/h comfortably, all parameters of the suspension can be adjusted, the groudn clearance ranges from 115 to 35 mms.

The Veyron is fitted with Michelin PAX-tyres in the dimesion of 265/35 R 20 in front and 365/25 R 21 in rear.

transmisison: 7-speed DSG with paddles

fuel consumption:
    av. 20 liters per 100 km
    100 liters per 100 km at top speed!
    max range = 100 km at top speed, a new record!

"300 km/h is nothing for the Veyron, there still is enough power to achieve 380 km/h easily. But it takes 55 secs. to accelerate from 380 to 405 km/h."

Vmax = 111 meter per second!,
    the engines revs 6000 rpm in 7th gear,
    tyre pressure raises from 3.0 to 3.5 bar in within 15 secs.
    it would take another 8 bhp just to achieve 1 km/h more.

Review:
    "In the beginning there was chaos. The fuel amount made available by the fuel pumps was just enough to achieve 650 bhp, we had to develop complete new fuel pumps and modern knock sensor technology. There were problems with the drive shafts losing the grease."

How many cars are sold?
    the figures vary from 30 to 40 units, means that another 10 still will be available for 2006. No potential customers so far had the chance to test drive the car.

You know Tuco...
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
    Those who can afford the Bugatti hypercar
    and those who can't...
    You, you can't.

(The good, the bad and the ugly).

19. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    This thing ROCKS..

Heres to the future of Bugatti.. and the now long rumored $300k 'smaller' Bugatti, they better build it.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Does it matter? I think all VW is concerned about now is if they can find 300 people who can write checks that don't bounce.

I think they have a winner on their hands, and I also expect that there will be a lot of complaining about this car from people that can't afford it.

I can't wait to see one in person.

21. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    like a wise man said: the more people just can't understand it,the more controversy it will cause.

seems like people is not ready for a STOCK 1000 HP car.

anyway I've always wondered what was the MSRP of a McLaren when it was launched back in 1993

22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Part of an interview with Gordon Murry, the greatest single all-round car designer extant. Some will claim this sounds like sour grapes. I say he's got it right.

JB: The F1’s long reign as the world’s fastest car is under threat from a couple of supercars, but chiefly, the Bugatti Veyron, which it’s claimed will get to 252mph

GM: The most pointless exercise on the planet has got to be this four-wheel-drive 1000 horsepower Bugatti. I think it’s incredibly childish this thing people have about just one element – top speed or standing kilometre or 0-60. It’s about as narrow minded as you can get as a car designer to pick on one element. It’s like saying we’re going to beat the original Mini because we’re going to make a car 10mph faster on its top speed – but its two foot longer and 200 kilos heavier. That’s not car designing – that just reeks of a company who are paranoid. It’s time we stopped saying ‘let’s try and beat this or that’. It just happens to be the McLaren in a lot of cases because it’s still considered to be the quickest, the best, the lightest, the stiffest, the whatever. If somebody came along, including Ferrari, but particularly, Bugatti, and said, ‘We’ve driven the McLaren, we’ve seen what makes a good car and we’re going to take all those elements and move it on a step – the technology, the weight, the safety, the size, that packaging, the luggage space, the torque, the way it delivers power,’ I would be going, ‘good for you. We’ve had our 10 year reign, take the crown.’ I know it’s going to cost millions to develop the Veyron, a monster thing that you can never see out of, can’t park anywhere, four-week drive, four turbos, 1000 horsepower. It may go faster but it won’t touch the F1 in any of the other important areas/ that’s what’s pathetic about it. I think it’s about time companies stopped doing that. I wouldn’t do it, I wouldn’t belittle myself to do that.

JB: what if they’d gone after all those other criteria and given it 1000 horsepower and 4wd?

GM: Four-wheel drive will never give you the experience that the McLaren gives you. It’s probably much safer when it’s wet and slippery, and more people could drive the car near its limits, but that wasn’t the aim with the F1. It’s absolutely true that 90 percent of the people, 90 percent of the time won’t drive the car at 90 percent of it’s capability. So why start with 4wd and carry all that weight and inefficiency? Ultimately for making the car easier to drive and getting a bit more grip, you’re losing out on the ultimate driving experience. Just 4wd is enough to say they’re never going to get an F1/ If you’re trying to build a car that more people can drive, more people can handle the power, 4wd is probably one of the easiest ways, but with the F1 we didn’t set out saying ‘we’re going to make the quickest car and we’re going to make it really easy to drive, so that 90 percent of the population can drive it’. No way. It was almost the opposite, it was, like this is probably going to be the last real car, without ABS, power steering or power brakes, and you’re going to have to push a bit harder on the brakes and to park it’s not going to be that easy but it’s not going to have anything getting in the way of the driving. It will probably be the last one like it. It’s a shame. I’d so much rather see that money and effort – sorry no, not the money, they can probably afford it – all those engineers and all that effort go into some new direction of sports car, maybe ultra lightweight or ultra nimble or ultra safe or something else rather than just trying to build the fastest car in the world.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Look, there are a few billion car owners out there, not all of them will agree with Mr. Murry.

The market is big enough for both cars to be out there. And I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's the greatest since he influenced the SLR which is still an SL with fancy clothes...

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You're the F-chatter that drives the Pontiac Aztek, right?

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Mondial 8, same difference to some people...