Vettel to Aston Martin F1 2021 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Vettel to Aston Martin F1 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    For sure, Papa Stroll is clever. The team is all about Lance. So with that fact in mind, what is Larry Stroll's long game with Seb? Attracting more sponsorship? It would be difficult to imagine a driver bringing more $$$ to the team than Perez. Seb wants to be paid whereas Checo (more or less) paid the team through Mexican moo-lah. We'll see where this ends up . . . . or should I say adds up?

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Conspiracy theorists abound on this forum !

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Vettel does not even have to make mistakes on purpose, with Ferrari gifting him with 13s pit stops...

william likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It could be that Perez sponsorship has been very much exagerated over the years.
    It apparently includes his wage, according to pundits, and leaves only around $3 million to the team.
    If that's right, I am not sure Perez is very attractive as a pay-driver for most teams.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yet he is attractive taking podiums and consistently scoring points. Something Vettel might want to improve on LOL

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, but that depends very on the car he has under him.

I don't think Perez would have taken many podiums or scored many points had he driven a Haas or an Alfa Romeo these last few years.

Getting a ride on one of those, or Williams, would hardly be a good career move for a veteran like Perez.

But things may change, of course ... Just look how Ferrari has been slipping down the order.

7. DF1

Perez is making the most of his time left. Vettel drives like he has never been in the Ferrari lol. Yes he could have placed 5th last race without team pit failure. Overall he is painful to endure and his reputation is suffering more.

william likes this.
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The article is very logical, reasoned, and well-thought-out. All of it is true. But it forgets one very important thing. For all the science and math, engineering and physics behind a formula one car, it is ultimately passon that drives us to race. There is little, if anything, rational about it.

There are only so many seasons in which a man can race a F1 car -- if he can race one at all. That Seb wants to get in the car and dirve more, makes perfect sense to me. Who among us would say 'no'? Who among us wants to face the realization that we aren't what we once were.

Yes, his pursuit is irrational. He won't win at Aston. And he may be ignoring the inevitable decline that comes to us all. But he will be doing something he loves, while engaging in a fight that we all face.

I can't fault him for either.

DF1 and kylec like this.
  10. DF1

No 'fault' to him. Hopefully he will accept what he gets himself into with this move. He has not the reputation of 5 years ago now. If he is happy of course, nothing else matters.

zygomatic likes this.
  11. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

12. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    DF1 likes this.
  13. DF1

A smarter move than going mid-field and piloting an advert rolling for a billionaire. Take a breath and assess life!

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently Vettel is interested in DTM.

<cue in 2022>

DF1 likes this.
  15. DF1

23 race calendar affects family life!

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Once the star series with larger crowds than the German GP some years, DTM is very much in trouble as it is.

The German manufacturers that supported the series have walked away, leaving only BMW.

For 2021, it will be run on a temporary basis as a GT3 series, until its fate is decided.

It will meet stiff competition from the Pro-Am ADAC GT Masters series which is well established in Germany.

The ADAC GT Masters series attract grids up to 40 cars, with shared drive in 2-race events.

DTM would keep its previous model with 20-car grid and only professional drivers.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Now Racing P are pretty much out of reach for Ferrari in Wcc, Seb’s woken up

tifosi12, jpalmito and ingegnere like this.
  18. DF1

ingegnere likes this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This is EXACTLY what he needs!

ingegnere and william like this.
  20. DF1

Less downforce focused on the rear end? Seems he has always a preference for 'stable' or 'planted' rear end. So more downforce? New chassis and PU next year. The Aston is not as developed as the Mercedes overall. Will be interesting of course.

All his spins here. Commentators mention rear end alot or rear -

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We may have some fun with Vettel at Aston next year.

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    True. In fact I was thinking if he gets Merc-like level of rear downforce he might make all us critics look like liars, LOL, but I hadn’t reckoned with the floor cut-out being imposed and the estimated 10% reduction in downforce.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    made me dizzy just watching..........

But yes, the only cars Vettel has done well in have well planted rear ends.

Am I allowed to root for Lance ?

tifosi12 and william like this.
  24. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    RP's pit wall has shown to make at least as many mistakes as Stroll driving, so it is unlikely Vettel will be spared from those next season. They make questionable pit calls and strategy options and I think Seb is too much of Mr. Nice Guy to compensate for this. I'm sure people will say this is Stroll Sr. pushing his way through, but their track record on this is not very hopeful and has done damage to both Stroll's and Perez' results.