Vettel and Hamilton 'collide' | FerrariChat

Vettel and Hamilton 'collide'

Discussion in 'F1' started by MalcQV, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And yet Lewis has refused a sit-down. Lewis pulled his usual antics behind the safety car to catch-out those behind, it's clear that he hit the brakes and Vettel collided with him. Vettel then lost it and gave him a ***** slap. I think both are culpable to a degree and Vettel needs to get a handle on his temper. That said the pious comments from Lewis and Vettel's inability to admit wrongdoing are equally disingenuous. Man-up boys and girls.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Elton playing the innocent victim, once again. She knows very well how to play to the press...

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Everyone can see thru Hamilton!

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    As usual, its a storm in a teacup, but as there is noting more exciting to argue about, this is ALL the news. Basically, Ham and Vet had a coming together. The only person who infringed any rules was Vet. He was punished. Life goes on. The end.

Ham terrorists seem to think there has been a great wrong and that there is a massive conspiracy to show favouritism to Ham. This is blatantly untrue.

6. pareshjai

pareshjai Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    FIA says that Hamilton did not brake test!!! If one watches the speed at which the billboards on the sides were passing prior to the corner and when Vettel actually hit Hamilton one can easily make out the speed difference from Hamilton.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sadly Vettel has not done himself any favors by ramming Hamilton.

the brake check thing... not sure if it really happened or not. seen conflicting evidence. The reality is they have all the telemetry and data on throttle and brakes etc... so it looks like Hamilton did not hit the brakes and he happened to catch Vettel out....

that being said where he chose to slow down is probably not ideal considering the whole field is behind you... but the real damage is to Vettel ... that he did on his own.

I would like to believe that he just lost control of the car when he pulled along side... but I think the video show pretty clearly that he drove right into Hamilton.

This is not behavior becoming a 4 times world champion. Period. Ferrari cannot be happy. he threw away a Victory or worst a 2nd place.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Toto wants no further action.

JUNE 27, 2017

Wolff argues against further penalty for Vettel

Toto Wolff thinks Sebastian Vettel's act of Baku 'road rage' should now be forgotten.

As the Ferrari driver runs through his super license 'penalty points', there are rumours the FIA is still contemplating further sanctions for his apparent deliberate crash into Lewis Hamilton last Sunday.

Auto Motor und Sport quoted a Baku race steward as saying they "almost" decided to disqualify Vettel during the race.

What is clear is that, between the championship contenders, emotions ran high not just during the race but also afterwards.

Mercedes' Hamilton suggested he would not answer a call from Vettel to discuss the incident.

But Mercedes chief Wolff said: "I think they should talk with each other once tempers have cooled.

"I think in a few days time Seb will realise that his action was not great.

"Definitely the events were not helpful for the future of their relationship, but it was always clear that this could happen.

"I think there is still respect between the two of them. They are two greats of the sport."

Meanwhile, Wolff thinks the issue of further penalties for Vettel should not be revisited by the FIA.

"He got his penalty already so it's over. My head is already in Spielberg," he insisted.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

hamilton = ******bag

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #10 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Vettel was lucky to only get a 10 sec penalty.... A lot of other drivers in the field would have been black flagged had they done that.

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I've viewed and re-viewed the tape a dozen times. What I've seen is Vettel driving alongside and extending and waving his right hand to indicate displeasure and 'what are you doing?' - then the touching occurred. Which means that from moments prior to and moments after the touching Vettel is steering with his left hand only. To me it is not credible that if the touching were deliberate Vettel would not have had both hands on the steering wheel. That they were not says to me clearly that it was inadvertent and not deliberate.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    From Vettel on board camera i seem to remember Vettel was along side with his left hand in the air blowing kisses to lewis ,then you can see the steering wheel turning the car to the right....as if by magic or perhaps some autonomous driver ....who could imagine Vettel actually using his right hand to steer the car?

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean conflicting evidence. The video that shows the onboard telemetry like throttle, braking, gear selection, etc, clearly shows Hamilton braking there and then being hit by Seb. I don't think it's really something for debate. Are you saying that visual graphic is not real data and the actual onboard telemetry is different?

Now whether Seb should've reacted like he did...that is definitely something people can say whether Hamilton deserved that or not.

15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And some others would have got no penalty at all ;)

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If the braking indication is binary, then that doesn't help. What we need is hamiltons speed trace and Vettels speed trace. Fortunately the FIA had both. And guess what they concluded?

17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    What makes you say that? Opinion or fact?

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #18 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    I really cannot imagine 4X WDC Vettel losing control accidentaly at 50kph when we have seen lewis driving along at 300+ kph with one hand on the wheel and the other crossed over his chest holding down the bodywork down.

Vettel is still denying, to my knowledge, that he steered into Lewis.

I admit watching the race live it did look like Lewis brake tested him,as i posted here at the time.However if the race stewards have seen all the telemetry from Ferrari and MB etc then i guess one has to go along with their conclusion,and actions.

19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It's another 'hand of God' incident! Or perhaps Ham reached over when no one was looking and pulled the steering right. Then, by invoking his time travelling super powers, he dashed round to the FIA stewards and erased all evidence of this and his deliberate brake check.

Personally, I don't believe Vet deliberately drove into Ham but misjudged, or lost situational awareness for a split second - and I think that's what the FIA concluded as well. Had they believed he did it on purpose, then I believe he would have been black flagged.

20. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    There is not a single driver I can think of on the grid that would not have been penalized.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Same sort of opinion than the one mentioning others would have been black flaged ;)

22. Back and forth. Back and forth. It's history.

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Well...we know of one that drove his team mate off the track several times and did not get anything ;)
    Maybe he would have penalized the same way but to say that Vettel only got away with it because it is Vettel and others would have been black flaged is ridiculous...

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    At Le Mans an LMP2 car rudely punted off a Ferrari 488 on the straight which then spun and crashed heavily...not good.

He got a 7 MIN stop and go penalty.

Yes i know it was low speed and no crash in Baku ,but it was under the SAFETY car.i think Vettel got off very lightly,if he now admitted doing it in a fit of rage they could possibly increase the penalty to nil points or worse.i can only assume that is why he is still denying .

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It probably is binary, but it still means they're either being applied or not. The throttle position on the telemetry displayed on TV is not binary, though.

Here's the video I'm referring to: https://my.mixtape.moe/slropm.mp4

It shows Hamilton braking at the apex of the corner (early 11 second mark, going 62 km/h, zero throttle). Right before the 12 second mark (late 11 second mark), he's still braking and past the apex and leaving the corner. He's still touching the brakes and 59 km/h. At 12 seconds, brakes still on and going 54 km/h. He's now out of the corner. A little later in the 12 second mark he's off both throttle and brake coasting at 51-3 km/h with the car pointed straight. Right at the 13 second mark he'*****. This is all within 2 seconds.

I don't get why he's braking after the apex of the corner and off the throttle after exiting the corner. He's at fault imo. That's not the proper way to exit a corner with people behind you.