Vet Tech? | FerrariChat

Vet Tech?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Dec 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I’m looking to do some volunteer work & thought about working as a vet tech. As a biologist I’ve worked w/ animals in college performing surgeries to include removing testes and ovaries - like the typical “fix” I should think. What kind of training does one need & can I do it without taking formal vet school classes?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    It probably depends on the laws in your state.

In Virginia, a Vet Tech needs 2 years of schooling and must pass a state exam. There is also a registered Apprentice Program which seems to me to imply substituting on-the-job training for some of the educational requirement, but since I'm only a bystander, can't really comment on how that program fits into the licensing side of things.

Good luck to you.

3. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Associates degree. 2 years of schooling unless you have some college credit that may be credited for some gen ed classes.

4. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Of course if you are volunteering, you could be a vet assistant but you will be limited as to what you can do by state law. Sounds like you are over qualified.