Verifying belt tension | FerrariChat

Verifying belt tension

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by CliffBeer, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I'm replacing the belts and tensioners on my 3.2 mondi and I'd like to verify that the spring tensioners are applying the correct amount of tension to the belt before tightening it all down. The springs are the original 1988 springs and they look like they'be been around for a while.

I have the Burroghs GA424A belt tension gauge...which should work well on the long run of each belt. Anybody happen to know the tension spec?

Thanks in advance.

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Must read: Replacing Ferrari 308 Mondial timing belts

I would only add that I did have to nudge the right side tensioner 5-8 alil more before tightening the bolt. The left side seem to have the correct tension on the belt but the right side had alot more slack and thats why I had to nudge it abit.

best

4. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Thanks fellas, I'm very familiar with the belt change drill on the V8 engines....have done many, many by now and all good.

What I'm seeking is an actual belt tension spec if one exists. I realize the belt tension on the long run is going to vary a bit depending on where in the rotation cycle the engine sits....but, again, it's the spec I'm seeking if one exists. The reason I'm curious is that typically a spring will lose some of it's spring over time....in which case the belts won't be tensioned correctly. I'd like to verify the tensioner springs are applying the correct tension by using a belt tension gauge on the long run.

Anyone know what the spec is?

Thanks

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #5 Bell Bloke, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Hi CliffBeer just re-edited this one for you ;-)
    The other videos are part of a restoration and so there is a lot of other stuff in there.
    There are no official 'clavis' guage readings that I know of for the Ferrari, but in the video I do my best to describe how to tension a belt both the Ferrari and Verrell way and my way.
    My way is the Lotus way and has served me well for Lotus' with a combined milage of 800,000miles!!
    If you want a Clavis Guage reading I would suggest the one used on the Lotus V8 which is 95-120htz BETWEEN THE CAM PULLYS. This gives a similar belt tension to the Ferrari V8 when using either Verrell or Ferrari method.
    My method uses the long section of the belt and gives a reading of approx 45htz with a microphone, this method checks out with both the Ferrari and Verrell method.

Anyway here is a short 25minute video on how to change and tension Ferrari cam belts,
    hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-bpUziJag

All the best, Bell Bloke.